Author Topic: The slowest car available?!  (Read 3096 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: The slowest car available?!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2022, 07:39:32 AM »
I was driving my Jazz Mk4 today. I was on my own so no one was telling me how to drive. I was really enjoying the nippy response from the car. I was first away from traffic lights and easily reaching and cruising at motorway speed. This is not a sluggish motor car!
Certainly not sluggish.  And the torque away from the lights is remarkable.  You are long gone, without fuss , before the BMW's etc have even  started up their stop/start engines  ;D  It brings a smile to my face seeing their shocked looks   :o at being left for dead by a Jazz.  ;D  And its not just being a boy racer.  It can save a lot of hassle with zip merging etc if  you reach  2 lanes merging into one etc  ahead of everyone else  .A situation where the 'big boys' tend to barge their way through the 'small fry'.  I might pay the price eventually in increased tyre wear   :(   Also this 'squirt and go' ability helps when merging onto busy roundabouts etc.

My own  passenger seat conscience is good at stopping me fixating on whether I am getting 88 mpg down hill or 35 mpg uphill, or why the car isnt in EV mode when you'd expect it to be ,etc.    She's right of course.  These stats are great initially for showing the fuel savings possible from moderating speed a bit, gentle right foot and a few other techniques.   But once  learned its better to always drive like that out of habit  ,sit back and enjoy.  Let the car do its own stuff,  with only occasional mpg checks out of interest.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

P J Hall

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk 3 EX Navi
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2022, 08:16:42 AM »
I have just read the Parkers long term review of the Crosstar as l am looking to purchase one, and the reviewers comments are very favourable, the journalist describes the hybrid system and praises the performance and fuel economy ,oh and of course the magic seats which is all most of the the other magazines focus on.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2022, 09:50:27 AM »
Auto Express journalists often can't even use proper English and follow grammatical rules (verbs that don't agree with nouns etc).  I cancelled my subscription a long time ago.  "Hot hatch shoot out" every week and of course the VW/Audi usually wins.  No mention of reliability records.  £20,000 cars "cheap as chips" etc etc

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2022, 10:34:38 AM »
They mustn't upset VAG group as they usually have a double page spread as soon as you open it, in the flyleaf, then a few more dotted around.

It had the potential to be a useful mag but is now a biased rag

Let's be careful out there !

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2022, 11:22:51 AM »
Just for comparison and for those who may be interested, Just to show how Honda put themselves down with a quoted 0-62 of 10.9 for the HR-Ve:HEV
The truth!!!!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2022, 11:29:24 AM »
A lot of these internet performance figures videos are a bit wrong unfortunately, as they start the clock when the speedometer registers speed, not when the car starts to move.

You need a gps box like Matt Watson has on carwow to record accurate figures.

The HRV is faster than the official figures, at 9.7 seconds, but not as fast as some think.

Performance of the HRV is almost identical to the Crosstar, until you get close to 100mph when the higher power of the HRV makes a difference.

A site I use is zeperfs, where they combine professional tests from many sources:

Duel: Honda Jazz IV Crosstar e:HEV vs Honda HR-V e:HEV

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2022, 11:37:37 AM »
One thing to look out for on hybrids is that the real world 0-60 is better than the figures suggest.

The 0-60 on a hybrid should be the same every time when driven by anyone, whereas the 0-60 on 'normal' cars depends on the test driver being brutal and maybe braking with their left foot to build up revs before wheel spinning away.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2022, 11:59:30 AM »
The last thing I care about these days is performance. Those days are long gone.

I want a small reliable comfy car with 'toys' and the Jazz fits the bill perfectly.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2022, 02:10:07 PM »
It's a shame none of the toys on my car work :(

They 'work' according to Honda, but not to what I'd consider an acceptable standard - and are less effective in operation than those on the 8 year old hatchback car I traded in.

I would have been better buying the nearly new SE I had been considering and sticking my phone on the dash instead of the EX I ended up buying.

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2022, 04:23:55 PM »
Battery charge level must play part in variance of times as the engine has less power than the electric motor. In the video, for the hrz the battery is full ahead of the 0-60 (and half full for the shorter in year tests). Would Honda have to test with either empty(3 bar) or 1/2 full battery and so sets slower times than independent tests?

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
The slowest car available?!
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2022, 06:14:44 PM »
It depends on the output of the generator engine and what the difference between its output and total output when added to the battery.

I see from the power flow videos that both battery and generator are providing power together.

On Prius, you could force charge the battery before performance runs - pressing the accelerator started the engine and charged the battery.

Jazz doesn’t seem to have a similar function. Pressing the accelerator when stopped doesn’t start the petrol generator.

Another Prius trick to force charge that doesn’t seem to work on the Jazz is putting on front defrost / full heat - on Prius that starts the petrol engine. On Jazz it doesn’t always do it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 06:16:16 PM by sportse »

guest9814

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2022, 08:30:35 PM »
It depends on the output of the generator engine and what the difference between its output and total output when added to the battery.

I see from the power flow videos that both battery and generator are providing power together.

On Prius, you could force charge the battery before performance runs - pressing the accelerator started the engine and charged the battery.

Jazz doesn’t seem to have a similar function. Pressing the accelerator when stopped doesn’t start the petrol generator.

Another Prius trick to force charge that doesn’t seem to work on the Jazz is putting on front defrost / full heat - on Prius that starts the petrol engine. On Jazz it doesn’t always do it.
Jazz charges battery too !!!
Car should be in P (parking), then when accelerator pedal pressed fully and keep pressed ice starts and charging battery, from 3 bars to “full” 95% in about 5 minutes.
Not practical to do that often because charging battery to 100% not good for it’s health.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2022, 01:05:39 PM »
Even with the HV battery fully charged  the range in EV mode may only be about a mile or so.   2 minutes at  30 mph  .
So is it worth using petrol for 5 minutes without moving anywhere,  when even if the engine is running the whole time, you could have travelled 2 miles or more for the same amount of fuel. ?   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2022, 01:33:08 PM »
Even with the HV battery fully charged  the range in EV mode may only be about a mile or so.   2 minutes at  30 mph  .
So is it worth using petrol for 5 minutes without moving anywhere,  when even if the engine is running the whole time, you could have travelled 2 miles or more for the same amount of fuel. ?

Only if you are in a competition or need to run the best 1/4 mile time at the track.

Weirdly, there are quite a few Prius that people use for autotests (legally racing round tracks made from traffic cones in carparks to get the best time) in the US.

They force charge the battery before their run, to get the fastest possible time.

guest9814

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2022, 06:21:41 PM »
During this forced charge ICE working with 1100 rpm and on very lean mixture, battery getting charge power 2,5kw and ICE wasting same time around 3kw power calculated by car scanner
Our battery tiny and hold maybe 0,7kwh, In town on full battery I once traveled almost 3 km, all depends on power you requested from battery.

Tags: