Author Topic: Can you replace MK2 USB controller with a Bluetooth controller?  (Read 1574 times)

poolski

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 MK2 Jazz EX
Can you replace MK2 USB controller with a Bluetooth controller?
« on: September 15, 2021, 12:45:29 PM »
Afternoon!

My Jazz has an Aux input, which works quite happily and a USB port (via the frankly bonkers proprietary connector) which can supposedly talk to an iPod/iPhone running iTunes, but not accept an audio stream from Spotify or what have you. I understand this is to do with the fact that the car can't access the audio subsystem on the phone because Reasons.

I've been digging around online, trying to work out how I can add Bluetooth capability (and hands-free as a bonus) to my MK2 2009 Jazz. Mostly that's involved:

* find the right words to inform future queries
* figure out what is and isn't possible

Looking in the service manual (http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/en/html_en/000000000000263.html#i000) it seems like the unit that controls the USB interface is a discrete box that bolts on to the back of the head unit (I haven't taken the thing out to check for myself).

From what I understand, the USB controller also allows you to control playback via the steering wheel (next/prev track). The volume controls are independent.

My question, getting finally to the point, is can you replace the USB controller with something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-2015-HONDA-JAZZ-MK3-BLUETOOTH-CONTROL-MODULE-39770-TF0-E020-M1-404-/203582525220 to add Bluetooth to the car or are there betterTM ways to do this?

I'm happy to have a go at installing a Bluetooth receiver behind the faceplate - I've read that there are kits to help you with this, but there don't seem to be many places in the UK that do them, and I don't know the exact words to search for which is vexing.

Given where the Aux port is on the MK2 Jazz, having a dirty great cable sticking out of it is just _asking_ for someone to accidentally snap the connector, so I'd prefer a more discreet solution.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Can you replace MK2 USB controller with a Bluetooth controller?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 01:06:27 PM »
I had a cable from the AUX port to a Bluetooth receiver for many years in my Mk2. If you're worried about it getting snapped off, maybe use a right-angled connector cable.

poolski

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 02:13:52 PM »
I'm leaning towards that myself at the moment, using some sort of handsfree bluetooth thing like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinivo-BTC450-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-input/dp/B009NLTW60/

However, I was trying to rig up something that doesn't need extra cables flapping about in the cabin and maybe works more "natively" with the car's existing audio systems.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 09:44:00 PM »
What type of aux connector is on the back of the head unit? I have a Bluetooth module that fits the aux port on the Mk1 which you are welcome to if the connector is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poolski

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 10:20:49 AM »
That's awful kind of you! When you say "bluetooth module that fits the aux port", could you post a model number so I can google or a photo or something? I'm still learning this stuff :)

I'm not sure what sort of port is on the back of the head unit - I'd presumably need to yoink it out and have a butchers.
I'll see if I can find photos online of a Mk2 head unit's ports - they're presumably not awful different, right?

UKjim

• Approved Member
Can you replace MK2 USB controller with a Bluetooth controller?
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 10:27:22 AM »
This is what it looks like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 06:41:35 PM by UKjim »

poolski

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 10:38:37 AM »
Does that replace the aux port or does it go into the "CD changer" port and also, is it controllable via the steering wheel controls?

Guess who didn't read the product description?  :-X

Also, you might want to reupload that screenshot without your full name because, you know, internet and such.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 10:57:53 AM by poolski »

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 06:38:51 PM »
Does that replace the aux port or does it go into the "CD changer" port and also, is it controllable via the steering wheel controls?

Guess who didn't read the product description?  :-X

Also, you might want to reupload that screenshot without your full name because, you know, internet and such.

Cheers, not sure how that crept in.

poolski

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 08:56:33 PM »
Based on reviews that I've read of other Bluetooth receivers which use the Aux input, it seems that all of them share the same ground loop problem to a greater or lesser extent - they seem to tie USB ground to audio ground, which introduces noise to the aux line.

So, looking at options, it seems like the least obtrusive, but also most effective way to do this is to wire in a Bluetooth receiver + mic like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222445081155

It connects into the back of the head unit and replaces... something. I'm not quite sure what the something it replaces is, so I'm curious: what's the white port that the bluetooth receiver connects to on the back of the head unit do? I haven't taken mine apart yet (weekend project!) to work that out, so I thought I'd put it to the question here.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 09:00:28 PM by poolski »

Pegasakidis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 09:43:58 PM »
it replaces the USB function yes....

something cheaper replacing the usb port but at the same time it gives you usb card reader bluetooth with mic and aux

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqz7Vvt

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Pegasakidis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 09:46:59 PM »
even much cheaper product with bluetooth and mic function only

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPp5URD

for the following audio systems

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Tags: