Author Topic: Spare wheel option?  (Read 4902 times)

guest774

Spare wheel option?
« on: May 30, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »
While removing my wheels to clean them and treat them to a few coats of wheel sealant, I used the spare wheel from my 2003 Civic to prop up one corner, allowing me to do two wheels at a time.
I put it on the back wheel and checked clearance was OK before lowering down.
It got me thinking that it could be used as a spare wheel, and after checking offset is the same, I went online to compare the rolling circumferences :
175/65/15 (ES wheels) and 195/60/15 (Civic wheel) = 1.31% bigger
The optional extra spacesaver (135/80/15?) is 1.62% smaller
As all checks out OK, and it fits in the recess perfectly, is there any reason NOT to use it as a spare for long journeys?
I would still only be putting it on the rear if needed, but it wouldn't have the speed restriction of a normal spacesaver.

guest3040

• Topic Starter
Re: Spare wheel option?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 08:39:02 PM »
I can't see anything wrong with that. Providing you fit it to the rear, it should be alright. ;)

caseyjones

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »
I tend to agree that it would drive fine, provided you're sure that there's enough clearance, even with a heavy load and compressed suspension, or with very bumpy roads.

However, I would check the legal implications with your local Old Bill, and if it was me, I don't think I'd want to exceed 50 mph. In other words, I'd still treat it like a space saver.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 01:27:45 PM »
Both tyres in the same axle should be identical even to the point that both should be radial, or both cross ply construction, both tyres should have identical tread wear, ie tyres should be replaced in pairs. Tyres on the same axle, should be the same size too, although not necessarily the same brand or tread pattern.

Oz

guest774

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 08:38:59 PM »
I've now read the Road Vehicles Regs and mismatched tyres are forbidden on the same axle, unless it's a temporary use spare tyre and 50mph is not exceeded.
So I'd be OK as long as I treat it like a spacesaver.

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:20:02 AM »
The only problem is that a 'space saver' wheel is a different colour compared with the rest of your wheels and also has stickers on it stating that the wheel has a speed restriction of 50mph (80kph) and is easily identifiable.

If you were stopped by the police they might query the fact that you are using a 'spare wheel' that does not match the rest of the wheels on the car and furthermore if you tell them that it is a 'space saver' or 'temporary spare' they might ask why there are no speed restriction stickers on it.

To keep it legal you would have to put the 50mph restriction stickers on it and also put a coloured 'wheel tape' on it so that it was easily identified as a 'temporary wheel'.

I had the same idea as yourself regarding a 'temporary spare' but mine would have been a 15" wheel fitted with an 'all weather' tyre so it could be used with my 16" summer tyres and also 15" winter tyres,  checked with various people and it would have been legal provided the speed restriction stickers and coloured 'wheel tape' was fitted to it.

Mind you the likelihood of being stopped while you have your 'temporary spare' fitted would most probably be remote!  ;)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:33:05 AM by Aitcho »

Tags:

anything