Author Topic: Jazz 1.2 i-VTEC SE Juddering at first gear  (Read 2840 times)

guest3128

Jazz 1.2 i-VTEC SE Juddering at first gear
« on: April 09, 2012, 01:15:37 PM »
I bought an used Honda Jazz 1.2 i-VTEC SE [VSA] (a little over 2 years old with a 59 number plate, manual transmission) from a main Honda dealer a month ago. The car has only got 14,000 miles on the clock (13,700 miles when I bought it a month ago). Now I notice that when I pull away from still and change from first to 2nd gear after the car reaches about 10-15 miles/per hour on the first,  the car judders and produces a 'clinking' sound. However, if I change to 2nd gear immediately after the car starts moving (say at 5 miles/hour on first gear), then it seems to be fine. There is no such a problem in higher gears/reverse gear.

Has anyone else got similar problem? Could the clutch/gear box be faulty? When I bought the car, the sales guy told me it was their curtesy car. I am wondering if the clutch is on the way out? But for such a little mileage, isn't it very unusual for the clutch to be worn so quickly even for a curtesy car (unless many people drove it rode the clutch).

The car is still in warrenty, but I think the warrenty excludes the clutch as it is a 'consumable' part. Is it worthwhile to take it to dealer now? If I can avoid the judder only at very low speed, then I cannot accelerate quickly at junctions which can sometimes be dangerous.

Any advices/suggestions will be appreciated.

guest2898

• Topic Starter
Re: Jazz 1.2 i-VTEC SE Juddering at first gear
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »
It could be either a contaminated clutch lining or something simple like supermarket petrol, (i had a 98 civic 1.4 a while ago at it used to "pink" between 1st and 2nd, i filled it up with esso from empty and it never did it again!!) the clutch will be covered i would have thought, take it back to the dealers, they should fix it free of charge and give you a courtesy car, especially with it being so soon after purchase.. it maybe even a EGR valve problem... i would personally try the petrol option first if you have used supermarket fuel, but failing that, take it back and i am sure they will sort it free of charge...

Tags: