Author Topic: Automatic Jazz (2010) i-Shift System lights on & gear not engage  (Read 6900 times)

angus888

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz (MK)
Hello all, mine is a Honda Jazz (2010) automatic transmission and it has been running for nearly 100k. It starts having problem from yesterday, and showing ‘Automatic Gearbox’ warning light, difficulty with engine start, gear not in etc.

I have read through some of the posts here and noted people saying about issues with the Clutch Actuator and Torque Convertor Clutch. Can anyone please give me some advice to where to start dealing with it. The below described what have happened.

Day 1:
When get on the car to start the engine, the steering wheel and brake were found locked (very stiff). Two lights were seen stayed (Steering Wheel with an exclamation mark & i-Shift System).
Thought it was power steering wheel lock engaged, tried to unlock by turning the steering wheel + ignition, but was not successful.
Tried disconnecting battery and hoping to reset something, however noted that the battery terminal was not bolt tightly! Finally, jump started the car with no light starts on, drove a few short trips with no issue.

Day 2:
When get on the car in the moring, couldn’t start at the first time, tried again and the engine started. However the i-Shift System light started on. Tried run the car but the gear does not engage. When putting in gear, the indication remains ‘N’.

With the above mentioned symptoms, could anyone give some advice what to do next please. Good thing is, the car is parked at home, so no urgent need to move it.
BTW, the car has no oil change since I have it from 88k, and no evident have been done before as per the papers I have.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Automatic Jazz (2010) i-Shift System lights on & gear not engage
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 01:39:35 PM »
I know it's a rather simplistic response, but so very often such things can be related to the state of the battery. Is the battery quite old? Is it not holding much charge? Is the charging system actually regulating voltage correctly? Is the alternator belt slipping?
Definitely sounds like a transmission oil change might be overdue, but also sounds to me likely to be an electrical system issue. Quite possibly not a serious issue, I've known quite a lot of examples of vehicles from a similar era with strange running issues, stalling after start for example, which are fixed by a new battery, but of course it could equally be something else.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Automatic Jazz (2010) i-Shift System lights on & gear not engage
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 02:04:12 PM »
I've known quite a lot of examples of vehicles from a similar era with strange running issues, stalling after start for example, which are fixed by a new battery, but of course it could equally be something else.
Yes.  My 2010 diesel Corsa  started cutting out immediately after starting unless I used some throttle,which it hadnt done before.    Once it was running well enough that the alternator was giving 14 volts the car ran fine.   (until the next day)   The battery was giving 12 volts  at rest  and was able to start the car for 3 or 4 start and then die  attempts before showing signs of being faulty. Other gremlins such as the alarm going off suggested the voltage was dropping below 12v under load.      A new battery fixed it all.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything