Author Topic: GE Random Misting Up  (Read 6027 times)

JackH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GD 1.4 Sport
GE Random Misting Up
« on: January 03, 2024, 09:06:01 AM »
I’ve just bought an early GE EX with Climate Control which overall I’m very happy with.

A couple of times however it’s randomly misted right up (in seconds) whilst you’re driving along when it’s been raining and it takes ages for it to clear - no condensation on the windows of a morning so seems to be a dry car overall.

Climate has set to Auto when this has happened. Currently set it to Screen + Floor from the Mode button (rather than the screen button) and will see if it happens again but still… is there a known cause for this as it’s something I’ve never experienced in any other car.

TIA

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: GE Random Misting Up
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 09:08:30 AM »
Mine does the same,
I just hit the demist button for a minute

Clears it

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 09:40:39 AM »
Have you check the pollen filter, access is gained to it behind the glovebox.

Perhaps the air flow is restricted and when it requires maximum airflow to demist its not enough.

JackH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 09:47:53 AM »
Thats the thing with this… takes an absolute age to clear once it’s done it and the way it mists up all of a sudden so quickly when you’ve been driving along for ages doesn’t seem normal - is like moisture is all of a sudden being released into the car.

I’d driven about 50 miles when it first did it on the way back from collecting it at the weekend - up til that point not a trace of moisture on any of the windows and heater nice and warm, then all of a sudden all windows misted up and took an age for it to clear with the Screen demist button pressed.

Once they’d cleared they stayed clear.

It did it again yesterday during heavy rain about 10 miles into a journey, hence again car and heater fully warmed up.

I’ve checked the carpets and no sign of damp.

I will change the pollen filter this week but it wouldn’t explain why all of a sudden it’s like a button has been pressed to mist up all the windows.

Isn’t just a hint of condensation either so suggests something amiss - have had VAG group stuff in the past which had a tendency to block drainage points under the screen and you’d end up with water seeping in through the heater box intake.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 10:46:29 AM »
Is it on ‘recirculation’ or on ‘ventilation’? I had this once when on recirculation: you breathe out a lot of moisture which can build up in the car. When the AC turns off, your windows mist within minutes.
I use ventilation only; keeps the interior nice and dry!

JackH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 01:16:37 PM »
Happens on both. One of the bigger things about this is it takes an absolute age for it to clear even with the demist button pressed.

Have checked the history and pollen filter was changed in June when the air con was regassed.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 01:57:17 PM »

Have checked the history and pollen filter was changed in June when the air con was regassed.
Personally I'd check it myself. Its not uncommon for them to tell porkies and save themselves a couple of minutes work and a few quid. Some might check but not change it if it looks reasonably clean.  If challenged they will claim it passed an inspection.   But apart from this it may now be soaking wet.

My mk4 does occasionally start misting up en route as you describe, but I think its because my wife has interfered with air flow direction , fan speed etc.  Its our first car with climate control and she still feels the need to make adjustments herself.   When it happens she makes more adjustments and it quickly clears.
 So I cant really blame automatic climate control  if it starts misting up  , but it may demonstrate that humans can achieve a better result.  :-*
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 06:14:05 PM »
Perhaps the AC requires a regas.

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 10:36:12 PM »
FWIW
My Focus ventilation system; when set on recirculation, would mist up the screen and windows, Think I've seen similar on Mk3 Jazz

Wife is incharge of ventilation (& infotainment) settings. The complex touch settings are a dangerous distraction from driving!! (bring back knobs).

PS Tried Recirc on Jazz Mk3 - slight tendency to mist up! Guess if cabin has a lot of H2O in atmosphere (4 + driver or wet dog(s) then RH will be high and condensation might happen if it's cold outside.
Think air con would condense H2O before air reaches screen - so maybe air-con problem.
Turn on and feel if cold air blowing (might have to wait for spring in UK though!!)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 04:23:16 PM by HertsHonda »

AlekJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz 1.4 sport
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 11:09:45 PM »
just try the shaving foam trick, works best for me, at least 2-3 months.

Beachball

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 i vtec navi
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2024, 08:29:32 PM »
JackH....Just recently changed the pollen filters on my 19 plate Jazz and wifes 13 plate Jazz.
Its made a hell of a difference with misting up.

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2024, 09:07:43 AM »
Perhaps the AC requires a regas.

That was my thought. Even though it has been recently done it may have a small leak that has allowed the system pressure to drop to a point where it stops being effective.

Alternatively, there may be a dodgy electrical connection somewhere that causes the system to stop pumping the refrigerant around/switches off the pump's clutch.

Tags:

anything