Author Topic: GD Battery AH capacity  (Read 13756 times)

bill888

• Approved Member
GD Battery AH capacity
« on: December 05, 2010, 09:58:38 AM »
I've looked at the factory fitted Yuasa battery fitted to my chinese built 57 Jazz, the markings on the battery reveal it is a 38B19L (obscured by the battery clamp)

fyi:

http://www.yuasaeurope.com/en-gb/automotive/application_guide/
Suggests using generic Yuasa battery model  054 as a replacement.

http://www.yuasaeurope.com/images/uploads/uk/downloads/YBSU25446_Yuasa_Cat_09_cars__light_vans_complete.pdf

The above catalogue suggests the 054 replacement battery is rated at 33Ah with 260A cranking power.

But the same European catalogue also lists an OEM battery for the 02+ Jazz, 44B19L(S), 'new' to Europe.  Its performance is a much greater 40Ah with 340A cranking power.   This part number is used for batteries fitted to 1.5L Honda Fit.

The car owner's manual quotes  28Ah or 35Ah in the specifications.

Halfords sell their own 35Ah battery, and Honda dealers can fit a replacement battery for same price that Halfords charge fitted.

I note Bosch offer a 40Ah Battery, model S4018, with 4 year warranty.
Varta offer a 40Ah Blue Dynamic battery, short code A14, with 4 year warranty.
The Bosch is in fact a rebadged Varta battery but costs more!!

Lings Honda quotes part no. 38B19L-MF on their web page.  This may suggest a 35Ah battery.

Other interesting facts:
Modern 'maintenance free' lead acid car batteries all contain calcium.  Calcium is used to 'reduce' water loss.  They require a higher charging voltage of 14.4 volts compared to the 13.6 volts required by older lead acid batteries.
Johnson Controls holds the patent for 'calcium-silver' lead acid batteries.  Johnson Controls owns Varta (Bosch) battery and other brands.   Most Fords manufactured from the turn of the century specify calcium silver batteries as these cars are fitted with Ford's smart charging system which can output 14.8 volts.

Update (Aug'11):  Replaced the 3.5 year old Yuasa with a new Bosch S4018.  EuroCarParts were offering 25% off most car parts on their website.  Normal price is just over£50.  My local ECP matched their online offer when I phoned them.  I paid £37.14.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:01:22 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: GD Battery AH capacity
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:12:30 AM »
Some makers of batteries could be a bit more helpful with info on the battery.

I believe the 28Ah battery is for the 1.2 jazz and the 35Ah is for the 1.4 jazz.

I am sure contacting your honda dealer would provide the correct info.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 12:36:41 PM »
I personally would buy the 40Ah battery as this will give you better starting and more 'reserve' power (just in case you only do say one big journey a week to fully charge the battery), the reserve will make sure that the battery has stored the maximum amount of capacity to last you over the 'bad' times when you need to start the car frequently but don't do many miles to charge it.  Don't forget that as the temperature drops the battery will also become less efficient at releasing any stored power. With batteries bigger is normally better  :)

I always buy batteries by weight, fit the heaviest one you can, some of the lower priced, smaller capacity batteries have the same case size but have plastic ribs inside to make sure the smaller groups (the active plates of the battery) don't rattle around, the free space just has more sulphuric acid swilling around in it.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 11:39:04 AM »
I have a 52 reg 1.4 Jazz with Bosch Asian silver(40Ah) battery. I bought it 4 years ago and still in perfect condition. The guys are right buy the stronger one 40Ah (needed in winter).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 05:55:39 PM by DV »

guest765

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 07:53:13 AM »
I just go for the "heavy duty" model that will fit the battery casing.......sometimes the diesel models have a larger battery type too.......too much power is better than none at all  ;)

Tags:

anything