Author Topic: Manual mode on CVT  (Read 2891 times)

guest1499

Manual mode on CVT
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »
Just wondered how many people actually use the manual mode on their CVT auto.

Does it make a difference to fuel consumption ?. I was having a play today whilst I was out and quite enjoyed flicking up and down the gears. Its also interesting when you put it in 7 speed mode but not actual use the manual flippers, how the auto gearing sounds so different.

Peter

• Approved Member
    • Peter's World
  • My Honda: MkII Jazz iVTEC 1.4 CVT
Re: Manual mode on CVT
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 11:07:14 PM »
Hi Rosie

Been there, done that. I've tried all the modes for the CVT box and do you know what? The most satisfying drive is when you let the transmission do its own thing. It's far cleverer than the driver I have found, and it will give you the best fuel consumption.

Mind you it is still nice to have the manual controls to play with to relieve the tedium in traffic or on a long journey.

Peter in Devon

guest1706

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 12:06:43 AM »
the only good use for the manual mode is that if you floor the throttle when overtaking and DONT use the paddle shifters to change up ,you can get the engine to redline ,at which point the gearbox will automatically upshift,since maximum power comes in at fairly high revs it makes for quicker acceleration,you really cant damage the engine as the rev limiter kicks in to prevent you doing so but I use this feature regularly and you really shouldnt worry about the revs ,Hondas thrive on it ,cars or motorcycles

Berisford

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
I flick into 'manual' mode when about to decend long hills, left to its own devices the CVT box/engine goes into over-run and picks the revs up quite a bit, in the 7 speed mode the car almost coasts down the hill.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 10:59:20 AM »
When travelling through forest roads keep in auto then on long descents/steep hills use the man mode, lets hope the 2011 models come with an enjoyable CVT box

Tags:

anything