Author Topic: Road noise?  (Read 1550 times)

iceblue

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2004
Road noise?
« on: December 27, 2019, 07:52:33 PM »
Hi all, over the last 2 or 3 months I’ve noticed quite a loud droning noise whilst driving. It sounds a bit like the exhaust blowing but I don’t think it is. The noise differs in volume on different road surfaces  and matches the speed of the car so pitch increases and decreases. I’ve had the 2 front tyres changed (as they were wearing on the insides) but this hasn’t made any difference. The rear tyres don’t look like they need changing but if they did could they be making the noise or could it be something more sinister? Any ideas??

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Road noise?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 08:26:04 PM »
If it has just started it could be a rear wheel bearing. My Mk1 is very noisy, depending on the road surface. I know mine is not wheel bearings as there is some super smooth road surface recently laid near me, and it is whisper quiet over that.

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 10:10:57 AM »
Yes, Mark 1's are noisy by nature and really noisy over certain road surfaces. Depends on the tyres too. With winter tyres my Mark 1 used to be really too loud to listen to the radio in comfort over about 80 km/hr. Probably the main reason I ditched the car in the end.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 10:30:59 AM »
If you only noticed this coming on recently, I would guess a rear wheel bearing. To determine which side, drive some left and right bends, see if the weight on one side makes the noise louder or quieter. The source of the noise is not always absolutely clear on the Jazz as the noise tends to transmit through the body, but you should be able to work out if it's a bearing and which side.

I'm not sure if the bushings and sound deadening were improved on later models, but FWIW I always thought our 08 was pretty quiet for a small car, with normal assymetric summer tyres.

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 12:30:03 PM »
OK so I took the car to my Uncle (mechanic for the past 58 years) and the conversation went:
Me: Hi, my car's making a noise, I need you to look at it please
Uncle: Is it a whining noise?
Me: Yes
Uncle: Coming from the rear?
Me: Yes
Uncle: It's your wheel bearings, I'll change them next week!
It must be a pretty common fault on the Jazz as all I said was it was making a noise!!
Hopefully all will be quiet when he changes them, we'll see and I'll let you know. Thanks for advice everyone.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 02:46:01 PM »
It must be a pretty common fault on the Jazz as all I said was it was making a noise!!
Hopefully all will be quiet when he changes them, we'll see and I'll let you know. Thanks for advice everyone.

Nice easy job too, on the Jazz.

iceblue

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 11:28:49 AM »
All fixed! Offside rear wheel bearing replaced and now the car is beautifully silent! Thanks everyone  ;)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 01:34:53 PM »
Smashing!  8)

Tags: