Author Topic: Problem of poor sensitivity of audio touch screen  (Read 15857 times)

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
Re: Problem of poor sensitivity of audio touch screen
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »
I start engine fasten seatbelt turn off the auto engine stop function then clear the warning screen (I counted about 10 seconds for button to appear after starting the engine)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 06:00:30 PM »
An irritation with the RDS TA system implemented on the Jazz is that if you get an announcement that isn't relevant to where you are, you want to get rid of it quickly:
I get annoyed by the fact that, unlike the Mk 2, the Mk 3 system does not display the source station of the traffic announcement.  This means I have to listen to it long enough to recognise the area described before switching it off.  Am I missing an easy solution?

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 06:34:47 PM »
A rather tongue in cheek thought.

With all the experience and skills available on this forum, is there not someone with programming experience who could modify the software program, to get rid of this stupid safety message.?? Probably a couple of clicks with the mouse would do it.

I guess those of us with newish cars, may lose the remaining guarantee, on the infotainment system, but there must be many who are outside of any guarantee period, who would jump at the chance of getting rid of this elf & safety rubbish.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 07:00:29 PM »
An irritation with the RDS TA system implemented on the Jazz is that if you get an announcement that isn't relevant to where you are, you want to get rid of it quickly:
I get annoyed by the fact that, unlike the Mk 2, the Mk 3 system does not display the source station of the traffic announcement.  This means I have to listen to it long enough to recognise the area described before switching it off.  Am I missing an easy solution?
Yup, that’s definitely frustrating. I recall experimenting with it a while ago, and I think I discovered that if you listen to FM radio then a TA interruption gives you the name of the interrupting station on the screen, but if you listen to DAB then you don’t get the station identification. Dunno what it does if you listen to any other music source. I guess it’s somethng to do with RDS being an FM service. Or maybe it’s just a poor implementation of RDS by Honda (cue Andruec to tell us it’s a cheap bodge job anyway !).

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2018, 08:05:34 AM »
Is my warning unusually slow to appear, or is 7-8 seconds normal?
Sounds about right to me. I've got into the habit of switching on the engine, swapping to my driving glasses, putting my belt on then releasing the handbrake. That gives the infotainment unit just enough time to display the message so that I press [Ok] before backing out of my garage.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2018, 08:08:39 AM »
Is my warning unusually slow to appear, or is 7-8 seconds normal?
That sounds about right. In my experience, starting the vehicle causes the infotainment system to reboot. Try turning the key a couple of clicks so the dashboard lights come on, the infotainment system starts, the OK button appears which you then press before starting the engine. Then start the engine and the damned touchscrren unit reboots!
Why would you do that? Just turn the key all the way and the engine will start in less than half a second.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2018, 08:22:03 AM »
With all the experience and skills available on this forum, is there not someone with programming experience who could modify the software program, to get rid of this stupid safety message.?? Probably a couple of clicks with the mouse would do it.
I have the skills to do it but unfortunately what I don't have is:

* A development environment in which to build and test the source code.
* The source code.
* Documentation for the source code (not essential but highly desirable).
* Tools that can package the executables into the format required to upload them to the infotainment unit.

And all but the first item on that list will likely be closely guarded by Honda. There are ways to do this without the source code but that makes it harder.

There's also no guarantee that I will be familiar with the language employed. It's probably Java but I have only a passing knowledge of that language. I also have only limited experience of working with the Android OS although for something like this that probably won't be a factor.

Programming skills are relatively rare (there's been a global shortage for the last thirty years, which is great for my career). But most projects require specific knowledge and that knowledge is often a closely guarded secret.

Well..you did (sorta) ask :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:12:37 AM by andruec »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2018, 08:45:12 AM »
why would you do that? Just turn the key all the way and the engine will start in less than half a second.

Nothing to do with infotainment but I always wait until fuel gauge has settled (this gauge has nothing to do with fuel pressure but is a nice predictable delay) or pump noise has stopped before attempting to start engine, IMHO the fuel system needs to be at proper pressure before turning engine over,  starting too soon and the starter motor current draw will drag system voltage down and make pump less efficient.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 08:46:44 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »
why would you do that? Just turn the key all the way and the engine will start in less than half a second.

Nothing to do with infotainment but I always wait until fuel gauge has settled (this gauge has nothing to do with fuel pressure but is a nice predictable delay) or pump noise has stopped before attempting to start engine, IMHO the fuel system needs to be at proper pressure before turning engine over,  starting too soon and the starter motor current draw will drag system voltage down and make pump less efficient.

And I thought I was a car anorak! What is the difference in pressurisation time between the MPI and GDI engines in the jazz bearing in mind the GDI fuel pump is engine driven although there is a lift pump in the fuel tank? Both engines start instantly on turning the key / pressing the button.

Does the CVT shift lever interlock solenoid clicking when you press the brake pedal in park annoy you?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:33:18 AM by Skyrider »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2018, 09:15:49 AM »

I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter. My reason for thinking that is the push button start. Press brake pedal, push button. If Honda had any concerns about voltages and pump efficiencies I'm pretty sure there'd be a delay before the engine started. And there isn't - it takes less than half a second for the engine to start turning over.

I've also never(*) done anything other than immediately turn the key all the way on every car I've owned and it's not caused a problem.

(*)There was a short time after getting this car where it was suggested that doing that might resolve a starting issue but it didn't help so I stopped doing it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2018, 09:59:30 AM »
And I thought I was a car anorak! What is the difference in pressurisation time between the MPI and GDI engines in the jazz bearing in mind the GDI fuel pump is engine driven although there is a lift pump in the fuel tank? Both engines start instantly on turning the key / pressing the button.

If you can find an engine driven fuel pump on GDI i will send you a box of hens teeth by return.  Engine driven pumps on petrol cars disappeared when carbs were replaced by high pressure fuel injection.   Generally it is accepted that ECU needs a few seconds after power up to look at all the sensors and interpret them.   With the push button start on many cars now (Civic has had it since 8th Gen 2006 > ) there is a delay anyway between turning key and pressing start unless you turn key with RH and cross LH arm across to press the button, but the good news is you cannot try to start car with engine already running,  it is one of the first thing I checked when I got the Civic.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »

If you can find an engine driven fuel pump on GDI i will send you a box of hens teeth by return.  Engine driven pumps on petrol cars disappeared when carbs were replaced by high pressure fuel injection.   Generally it is accepted that ECU needs a few seconds after power up to look at all the sensors and interpret them.   With the push button start on many cars now (Civic has had it since 8th Gen 2006 > ) there is a delay anyway between turning key and pressing start unless you turn key with RH and cross LH arm across to press the button, but the good news is you cannot try to start car with engine already running,  it is one of the first thing I checked when I got the Civic.
The Honda Jazz doesn't require a key at any point (other than it being somewhere in the vehicle). Just press the brake pedal and push the button. In less than a second the engine will be running. And like I posted last time - I have never waited a few seconds in any vehicle and never had any problems (ignoring obvious faults). If the sensors require a delay to get stable the ECU would simply not turn the engine over.

The reason modern engines turn over immediately is because the ECU is ready and willing to go. There is no need to do anything special - the electronics will prevent the engine from doing things it's not ready to do. You should learn to trust them ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:44:23 AM by andruec »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2018, 11:04:47 AM »
The Honda Jazz doesn't require a key at any point (other than it being somewhere in the vehicle). Just press the brake pedal and push the button. In less than a second the engine will be running. And like I posted last time - I have never waited a few seconds in any vehicle and never had any problems (ignoring obvious faults). If the sensors require a delay to get stable the ECU would simply not turn the engine over.

The reason modern engines turn over immediately is because the ECU is ready and willing to go. There is no need to do anything special - the electronics will prevent the engine from doing things it's not ready to do. You should learn to trust them ;)

The fact that on your keyless entry Jazz that when you open the car the ignition is probably already on and ECU awake and powered up,  and having to press brake pedal before pressing start button means there is a delay anyway before ECU powered up you pressing the start button.  Highly automated 'soft starting'  system can mean there will be built in delays anyway to ensure things are as they should be.  I was speaking about normal cars with an 'hard start' ignition key where you can turn the key straight away within a second of inserting key into slot.

If ever I turned my ignition on and the pump kept running too long I would suspect a failing pump not building up pressure quickly enough.  Car noises can tell you a lot, you need to listen to your car (and not just the radio).   I spent my whole career in automation and robotics,  that is exactly why I do not trust programmable things with sensors.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2018, 05:00:48 PM »
@Culzean

The engine driven high pressure fuel pump on the 1.5 GDI (L15B3 engine as fitted to the Jazz)  is on the end of the exhaust camshaft under a foam rubber (sound deadening?) Cover. The same place as the vaccum pump is on the 1.3,  the 1.3 has a vaccum pump as the Atkinson cycle does not produce enough inlet manifold vaccum to operate the brake servo.

I will accept a virtual box of hen's teeth.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:25:14 PM by Skyrider »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 06:44:51 PM by Skyrider »

Tags:

anything