Author Topic: Aircon failure.  (Read 3070 times)

Top Down

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: March 2012 1.4 iVTEC EX - Deep Sapphire Blue
Re: Aircon failure.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2021, 08:24:29 AM »
Found three fuses on top of the battery under a red cover. All three under clear covers, a small one on the left and two large ones on the right. Any of those? Can I do any harm pulling them out and reseating them?

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2021, 03:12:47 PM »
Just did the relay fix on my Mk1 Jazz.  No air on fan kicking in and out, took the relay in the engine compartment out, gave it a quick tap, put it back and then all was working again.  Simples.  ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2021, 03:29:51 PM »
Just did the relay fix on my Mk1 Jazz.  No air on fan kicking in and out, took the relay in the engine compartment out, gave it a quick tap, put it back and then all was working again.  Simples.  ;D

Tapping it with screwdriver handle while still plugged in works too
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Top Down

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2021, 04:44:57 PM »
OK, try again. Where and which relay should I be checking in a Mk2 EX please?

Top Down

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2021, 05:50:10 PM »
Well I found it. Little plastic box in the engine bay on the left. Removed, tapped, put back. Can't, at the moment, say I've noticed any difference but ....
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 08:08:48 PM by Top Down »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2021, 08:44:19 PM »
Well I found it. Little plastic box in the engine bay on the left. Removed, tapped, put back. Can't, at the moment, say I've noticed any difference but ....

There are plenty of reasons aircon stops working, discussed in detail in other threads on their forum ( do a search ).  Main reason is low gas, and maybe a stuck relay, fuse blown or coil of relay failed due to broken winding.   Had a problem on Civic where the actual solenoid clutch coil failed,,, PITA to get to...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Top Down

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2021, 09:03:16 PM »
It's been leak checked (no leaks) and refilled three times. Works really cold for a week or two then reverts to ambient air temp.  :(

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2021, 09:22:11 PM »
It's been leak checked (no leaks) and refilled three times.
If it has "needed" refilled three times then it must be leaking. The post should read, "It's been leak checked (no leaks found)" Sounds like a hole in the condenser.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2021, 09:06:45 AM »
The automatic 'empty and refill' machine will only find quite a large leak, but if system empties itself in about 2 weeks that is a small / medium leak - maybe a tiny hole in condenser or a pipe joint.  When system is not running the internal pressure ( on low and high side ) is north of 200psi ( depends on ambient temperature ).   IIRC aircon gas has a chemical in it that glows under UV light, you can buy UV torches for not much money and wait until its dark and shine UV onto condenser and general pipework. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ultraviolet-torch/s?k=ultraviolet+torch
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 09:43:32 AM by culzean »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2021, 09:16:25 AM »
Useful for checking aircon temperature reads -20C to +110C   self contained unit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303585881285?var=602816466220

Tags:

anything