Author Topic: Air con starts working suddenly after 15 minutes  (Read 13538 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Air con starts working suddenly after 15 minutes
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2021, 10:43:07 AM »
After almost two years I had the same relay fail again, only this time it failed with the contacts closed and drained my battery flat overnight.  This is one of the three relays in the box in the engine bay, the one nearest the bulkhead.  I have purchased a couple of different brand ones, although I suspect they are all identical inside.  I might replace it annually to try to prevent future trouble.

The Honda tech bulletin for Civic advised using a Matsui relay (about £25 from Cox motor parts IIRC ).  The problem with some relays is that they are not sealed properly and moisture can get in and affect the contact material.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 07:28:12 PM »
After almost two years I had the same relay fail again, only this time it failed with the contacts closed and drained my battery flat overnight.  This is one of the three relays in the box in the engine bay, the one nearest the bulkhead.  I have purchased a couple of different brand ones, although I suspect they are all identical inside.  I might replace it annually to try to prevent future trouble.
How was the access? On mine (a 2011 GG3) its blocked by a black box and the starter battery. I figure I have to remove the battery first. There was a vid about it but on that car, a US Fit the big black box was a lot smaller.

pintofale

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2023, 11:36:01 AM »
How was the access? On mine (a 2011 GG3) its blocked by a black box and the starter battery. I figure I have to remove the battery first. There was a vid about it but on that car, a US Fit the big black box was a lot smaller.

Access was fine on mine, a 2010 UK model  The fusebox is at the front of the engine bay on the left side, so no obstructions.

Brakballe

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2023, 04:30:16 PM »
Aha, faulty relay.  Clicks but contacts don't close.  New one on order.  Many thanks for all of the useful information.

Where was that dang relay located again?

Brakballe

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2023, 04:34:38 PM »
Aha, faulty relay.  Clicks but contacts don't close.  New one on order.  Many thanks for all of the useful information.

Where was that dang relay located again inside that box? One of three? Left or right one?

pintofale

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2023, 03:34:14 PM »

The Honda tech bulletin for Civic advised using a Matsui relay (about £25 from Cox motor parts IIRC ).  The problem with some relays is that they are not sealed properly and moisture can get in and affect the contact material.

The whole fuse box is supposed to be sealed up and waterproof, but you are probably right about damp ingress.  My solution is to keep a couple of spares!  It's not a disaster if the AC fails (at least not for those of us whose first couple of dozen cars didn't have it).

pintofale

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2023, 12:02:49 PM »

Where was that dang relay located again inside that box? One of three? Left or right one?
[/quote]

The air con compressor clutch relay is the one of these three in the engine bay, shown in the photo with the lid off.  The air con one is the one at the back on its own.  This has failed twice on my car, once stuck open, once stuck closed, and I suspect it temporarily stuck closed recently causing a low battery issue which made the car hard to start and threw up ABS and VSA warnings.  I have changed it just in case, and will do so annually from now on.

Brakballe

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2023, 06:20:38 PM »

The air con compressor clutch relay is the one of these three in the engine bay, shown in the photo with the lid off.  The air con one is the one at the back on its own.  This has failed twice on my car, once stuck open, once stuck closed, and I suspect it temporarily stuck closed recently causing a low battery issue which made the car hard to start and threw up ABS and VSA warnings.  I have changed it just in case, and will do so annually from now on.
[/quote]

You mean that right one?  DANG that Honda Fit US guide that made me fool around aft the battery right side and found nada

pintofale

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2023, 03:58:42 PM »
It might be different on US models, mine is  UK model, right-hand drive.

Tags:

anything