Author Topic: Paint Protection a waste of money?  (Read 10130 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Paint Protection a waste of money?
« on: June 12, 2017, 09:57:36 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw3eO1rI6Eo&t=1s

This guy, John Cadogan, is a typical Aussie who doesn't pull his punches. He has an engineering background as well so has some credibility.

In this YouTube clip he slams the expensive paint protection treatments offered by main dealers when you buy a car - even a used car. When I bought my current Jazz I was offered Autoglym Life Shine sold on the basis that I would never have to polish or wax my car again. I declined it as I always do.

A friend, however, bought a used BMW 3 series late last year and paid for the Life Shine. Now, here's the thing - they gave him an Autoglym maintenance kit which included super resin polish AND Extra Gloss Protection. In short you would polish the car, possibly removing the Life Shine, and then replace it with a sealant.

So much for no more polishing and waxing.

These products do look like a scam to boost falling sales margins as Cadogan points out.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Paint Protection a waste of money?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 04:29:01 PM »
The Life Shine type of treatments are good money earners for dealers.
I guy I know in the trade reckoned to do the same treatment would cost him about £40 and he could charge at least £200 for it !

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 05:35:55 PM »
I refused it on my Civic,  it was 'Diamond Brite' - but dealer threw it in anyway (Brindley Honda in Cannock, Staffs) - now I have to say I am not one for washing and waxing cars (life is too short) but have had the Civic 5 years, never waxed it and just washed it a couple of times with a garden hose after winter to get salt off and it has always looked shiny, after a bit of rain it looks like it has just been waxed.   I have just waxed it for the first time (Autoglym) and to be honest I can't see much difference, so I would not be so quick to dismiss the claims in future.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 05:41:06 PM »
I had a VW Touran for 4 years with the Autoglym treatment.   Polished it once, just before I sold it.   The paint felt just as smooth on the day before I polished it as it had on Day 1 of ownership.

My current Jazz has the Williams F1 treatment from new. 5.5 years on, I've polished it once (this year).   Last year, at the four year anniversary, I clay-barred the car.   Hardly anything came off onto the clay, so I didn't bother polishing it.   It seemed fine as it was.

I realise some people will come up with scientific and other reasons why it doesn't work, but in my case, it appears to have worked as advertised.   All I do is wash the car (and not with the two or three bucket methods, either) and dry it with Meguiars towels.   Then I put the kettle on and don't stress about it!

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 09:51:15 PM »
Interesting responses. I wonder if you didn't wax a car at all and just had a regular washing routine if that would suffice - ie would the clear coat be enough?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 10:56:06 AM »
A friend, however, bought a used BMW 3 series late last year and paid for the Life Shine. Now, here's the thing - they gave him an Autoglym maintenance kit which included super resin polish AND Extra Gloss Protection. In short you would polish the car, possibly removing the Life Shine, and then replace it with a sealant.

So much for no more polishing and waxing.

Autoglym Lifeshine is compatible with Autoglym products, using the Super Resin Polish on a [Lifeshine] treated car will not remove it.

My personal bi-annual ritual is Autoglym Super Resin Polish followed by Victoria Wax Yellow Collectors Wax. I can't say I always have the time though.

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 11:28:25 AM »
Went into a well know car accessory shop and bought this:-

Autoglym Aqua Car Wax 500ml.  Thinks its relatively new.

Thought I would try it. It works quite well.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »
Bought my HR-V nearly new and it had one of these coatings already applied and paid for by the person who originally ordered the car. I have never washed it but it has been to one of those hand car wash places a few times and they use wax'n'wash - I know because the windscreen always needs to be de-waxed afterwards. I have had the car nearly 20 months now and when it has been rainwashed it still looks pretty good.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 09:33:26 PM »
Went into a well know car accessory shop and bought this:-

Autoglym Aqua Car Wax 500ml.  Thinks its relatively new.

Thought I would try it. It works quite well.

It's good stuff. I use it a lot and a bottle lasts ages.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 12:46:35 PM »
Try your local car valeter ask for a quote or better still by AG L shine kit on line and have someone do the elbow work, it does improve the finish.

guest7110

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 11:56:22 AM »
In answer to the question, from the dealer, yes. Although, if you were to have a detailer protect the car from new, I would say, no. The success of the longevity is all in the preparation of the bodywork.

guest5876

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 09:16:40 PM »
Yes paint protection. My jazz is currently wearing a ceramic coating by Gtechniq.

Makes washing so easy I don't even need to touch the paintwork. The jet wash does all the work. But don't buy crap stuff from dealers. They make a hash of it. Spend your MI ET on a proper detailed and have it done right first time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 09:27:16 PM »
The diamond brite coating organised by local Honda dealers has worked for over 5 years, which is a good job as I don't wash car more than once a year and they always looked shiny,  I never waxed either of our cars until this year,  with auto glym super resin polish -I guess I needn't have done that as it made little difference.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5876

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 06:56:36 PM »
Well SRP isn't a wax for start. Anything from car dealers are the biggest waste of time and money. I'd save your money and either get a better spec on your car or go to a proper detailer and get a decent job which is actually warranted unlike these dealer styled stuff. They are not interested as they will blame you for how your washing the car and blah blah blah.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 08:44:17 PM »
I can only comment from experience about how long the dealer supplied diamond brite lasted and how effective it was considering I never clean cars, most I do is get a brush on a garden hose with some shampoo sticks to get worst of winter clag off the car.  Super resin polish contains both silicone and wax, although purists would say it is not a 'proper' wax - it does a bostin' job of cleaning up and protecting UPVC window frames as well as motorbike crash helmets and visors, including squashed flies.

Tags:

anything