Author Topic: Connect iPod/MP3 players through the AUX-in socket  (Read 46513 times)

honda jazz sport

Connect iPod/MP3 players through the AUX-in socket
« on: June 18, 2007, 08:05:07 PM »
Suitable for:

Honda Jazz 2006 model

The Honda Jazz from 2006 model year onwards comes fitted as standard with a AUX-in socket to allow iPod’s to be played through your stereo.

The socket is designed to take a stereo mini-jack type (3.5mm) used to plug-in headphones into most audio devices and not a USB type as sometimes found in some other cars. The upshot of this is that it should in theory allow almost any portable audio device, from Ipod’s, minidisc/CD/cassette walkmans, mp3 players - anything with headphones socket should work.

The socket is located above the cigarette lighter on the centre console under a flap marked ‘AUX’. Lift the flap up and you will find the round socket to which you connect your iPod or similar to. But how to go about doing this? Quite easily, actually!

You will need to purchase a mini-jack to mini-jack lead as shown below. These can be purchased from various electrical retailers including Currys, Maplin, etc, very cheaply. Now, the golden rule with audio devices is that shorter cables equal better quality sound, the cable length needs to be kept to a minimum without restricting where you can place the iPod whilst in use. A good place to put the iPod is in the cubby hole next to the AUX socket. This allows you to get away with the shortest lead possible for optimal sound quality.

Now that your Ipod is connected, switch on your car stereo and select AUX mode. The stereo should automatically detect the presence of the Ipod. Switch on the Ipod and you are now ready to go. If you can’t hear anything, try the following:

* Check the cable is firmly in place
* Some portable audio devices have a volume limitation system - switch this off if necessary.
* Increase the volume on the Ipod

Sadly, this method offers no control of the iPod or its ilk using the controls on your stereo - for that you may need a proper iPod car kit. So any changing of tracks can only be done via the device’s controls (not when driving!).

[Edit by RichardA 11 July 2007: added own pictures to other member's post]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 03:26:36 PM by RichardA »

guest238

• Topic Starter
Re: [HOW TO]: Connect Ipod & portable audio devices through AUX-
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 09:22:07 PM »
The shortest I can find is 3m for under a fiver, but I suspect this is overkill.

Also..Always make sure your don’t leave your ipod on display when the car is left unattended. And readjust the volume before listening to it with your headphones

guest156

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
I have 05 Jazz SE Sport. I can’t find the socket …

May be I’m missing something … The stereo has aux/cd button, but I can’t find the socket Sad

Does your dashboard look different?

honda jazz sport

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 07:02:07 PM »
I would like to say it was a typo but alas i did think the aux-in was standard on all Jazz’s since 2004. My 06-reg car has one so I assumed all facelifted models had it to! Sorry!

Nice pictures by the way Richard. I havent got a digital camera so many thanks for taking the pictures.

guest156

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 07:45:06 PM »
Thanks guys!

I guess, I’ll have to make it myself Sad. As you can see, there is a button on the stereo, but no wiring and no connector …

Do you have any pdfs which describe how to disassemble the dashboard? All pictures I saw was for AC not for climate control.

I really don’t want to break anything …

guest399

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 09:32:34 PM »
Hi there,

You guys must’ve already stumbled across it, but RichardA provided the link to

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/audio.htm

which explains to us early Jazz pioneers how to connect our iPods/Mp3 players. I intend to make the mod, but will fix a 3.5mm socket somewhere on the facia, replicating the socket provided as standard on the 2006 onwards.

Hopefully by the weekend I’ll have some pics for you.

In reply to billythestickboy’s query you may find a PC lead used to connect a CD-ROM’s audio to the motherboard, but you’ll still need to solder the other end to a 3.5mm socket/plug. Will try to find a ready made solution for you though.

[Update]

After some web searching I found the following, in my opinion a bit pricey given the DIY solution, but nevertheless provides a ’solderless’ solution.

Connects 2 Aux Adapter - CTVHOX001 - Allows radio head connection to 2 * RCA (Phono) sockets. http://www.connects2.com

You’ll be able to buy a 2* RCA plugs to 3.5mm Stereo plug lead to connect to your iPod/Mp3.

The only retailer I could find sells the unit & radio head lead for £34…..

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=VHOX001

Me? I’m off to Maplins in the morning. Looking for:

1* 6way ISO plug for the back of the radio
1* 3.5mm Stereo Chassis Socket
1* 0.5metres Stereo Cable (to connect the two items above)
1* 3.5mm Stereo Lead (3.5mm to 3.5mm) (iPod to Chassis socket)

Shouldn’t cost more than a tenner!!!

Happy modding whichever choice you make.

neils-home

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 10:15:24 AM »
Just for info, I bought a 300mm cable off eBay for £4.00 but not for a ipod or mp3 player but to try a phone on hands free. Went out tonight and got the wife to call me, pressed the answer button and hey presto I have a hands free phone that plays through the car radio. Phone rings, press Aux on radio panel then answer button on phone. Better than a bluetooth kit and the wife just told me the phone can play mp3’s as well.

JazzyJazz1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 Graphite (2006)
Re: Connect iPod/MP3 players through the AUX-in socket
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 04:53:39 PM »
I have 2006 Jazz without aux socket... :( Any idea when they started with standard aux? clearly not 2005 onwards... mine must have been a 2005 built car... I guess its 2006 onward and I missed the boat unfortunately...

Tags: