Author Topic: Cold engine noise from alternator/belt end.  (Read 4406 times)

mrtricky

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.2 i-vtec
Cold engine noise from alternator/belt end.
« on: March 14, 2014, 09:47:38 AM »
Ideas please -
my 1.2 facelift '58 manual Jazz (98k miles) has developed a cold engine chug and tappet type rattle from start-up akin to what sounds like an old over-choked engine from the 1970's that manifests itself from the belt/alternator end of the engine and increases in proportion to engine speed (sounds more old Ford than modern Honda!)
Within a mile or so of normal driving from cold all is good and sweet as expected (cold engine light extinguished).
The other clue is the car has a tendency to want to stall when pulling away from the first couple of corners when cold - again as if the engine is over-choked.
I've eliminated any drive-belt slippage/squeak and dampness by spraying with an anti-belt slip spray.
Is this classic EGR valve territory or something else like a breather pipe blocked/come away somewhere? 
No engine management light or other unusual dashboard light displayed.
Oil is fully synthetic Castrol Magnatec 0W30 A1 and been in for 4 months.
Where should I start looking before it starts to cost me money and a garage visit?
With thanks for any advice.

guest4512

Re: Cold engine noise from alternator/belt end.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 03:50:31 PM »
I've got an 04 1.4 with the same symptoms but it doesn't concern me too much, as it vanishes after a minute or two. Sounds like tappets

guest3418

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »
Piston slap? Not uncommon for the i-DSI engines. Our GD Jazz suffered from it pretty badly in the end.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-N7100 met Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:53:58 PM »
most modern engines suffer from piston slap - due to increase in clearance of piston skirt to reduce friction on the engine, as piston expands with heat it goes away,  Nothing to worry about.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest3418

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 05:03:35 AM »
True but in our case it did not go away, even when warm. Only when the engine got really hot after some hard driving it got bearable.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-N7100 met Tapatalk

guest4512

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 08:08:22 PM »
most modern engines suffer from piston slap - due to increase in clearance of piston skirt to reduce friction on the engine, as piston expands with heat it goes away,  Nothing to worry about.
Thanks both, just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything serious.

Tags:

anything