Author Topic: tyre / road noise  (Read 11067 times)

LJs JAZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es cvt
tyre / road noise
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:23:22 PM »
My 2012 jazz es cvt is fitted with Michelin energy saver tyres 175/ 65 15 on the standard alloy wheels.

I am generally very pleased with the car,but I find the road noise transmitted into the car a bit annoying,

much more than my previous jazz, a 54 plate GD model fitted with Avon tyres 185 width on that 

model.  I am generally a fan of Michelin tyres and have had very good mileage out of them.

Does anyone else think the road noise from these tyres is excessive or is it the car in general that

suffers from this

guest229

Re: tyre / road noise
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:43:37 AM »
Google The following

www.hondafitjazz.com/ring.htm
       scroll down and click on
        honda jazz 1.4 cvt making comfortable.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »
This rubber ring is a simple concept.  Many suspension assemblies are insulated from the body by means of rubber bushes.  I think this is a very good idea.

To get back to the tyres, I once had some Continental "super wet" tyres on a car.  They had an annoying hum and if you travelled a lot at 120 km/hr, was really irritating.  I spoke to the tyre dealer and he agreed that they had a lot of complaints about the noisy tread pattern.  He offered to change them for me and only charged the pro-rata useage of the tyres, which was about 30%.  I then had a set of Michelin "All road hazard" tyres fitted.  Noise went away and the new tyres lasted about 70000km.  Those Michelin tyres had a limited guarantee against punctures, etc.  They were withdrawn after about a year since they received a lot of claims, so was a dodgy marketing exercise.

There are a lot of gravel roads in SA and they can damage tyres easily
If music be the food of love, play on

guest1272

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »
My Jazz is definitely very noisy, but I thought that was the general lack of insulation compared to an equivalent car like a polo. I also suspect that at high speed it's the "big ear" wing mirrors which appear to be as aerodynamic as a barn door  ;D contributing to the high mway noise.

Interesting that you guys have Michelins as my Jazz came with Dunlops (and after 7300miles, it still has 'em on). I wonder if they're significantly worse/better?

EDIT: Just checked and yep, Honda UK tend to go with Dunlops for their cars not michelins.

chrisc

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 09:56:08 AM »
Friend has a Civic and this is not particularly quiet, compared to a Mercedes for instance

eljuero

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Comfort
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:22:34 AM »
Harder the tyre is, more mileage you get and more noise along.
From michelin energy saver you get good mileage so ...
My winter tyres (Dunlop) are less noisy.
100+1 HP

guest1583

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:31:44 AM »
 ;D

Hi..
      Dont be annoyed by a bit of noise on Honda cars, re Jazz,, this is really down to its design not the type of tyres you use or brand of it. Most of honda,s are designed with low falt floor specially with the civics these contributes to driving noise of the car..lived with it..

chrisc

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 07:45:29 AM »
Chinese motor spares shop sells some dense rubber (?) matting, about 6mm thick.  The idea is you attach this to the floor pan under the carpet as high as you can go under the clutch pedal and under the seat.  When you have measured it out and cut it, you take it out and stretch it (just pull it a couple of times).  This activates the self-amalgamating layer in the matting and makes it sticky underneath, so it stays in place and moulds itself to the body contours.

The box suggests a 50% reduction in road noise.  Supplied neighbour's Peugeot 207 with it and she said it did make a noticeable difference.  Maybe I will try it on the Jazz, I think it was not expensive.

guest1272

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »
;D

Hi..
      Dont be annoyed by a bit of noise on Honda cars, re Jazz,, this is really down to its design not the type of tyres you use or brand of it. Most of honda,s are designed with low falt floor specially with the civics these contributes to driving noise of the car..lived with it..

I agree, it's the Jazz's design in that they tend to have less noise damping material installed compared to other sub-compacts, so they let in more road noise.
I had read a review somewhere about the 2012 "mild facelift" Jazz that it was better in this regard because Honda have substantially increased the thickness of styrofoam that's normally sitting between the internal cabin floor and the front wheel arches from the 2009 model.

That being the case, foam sheets or sprays would be useful as they would dampen sound without adding much weight.
I've gotten used to it because my old Civic LSi '95 which I traded in for it was just as bad :D, but even on a m'way that used to be quieter.

guest3250

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 03:03:15 PM »
Lots of things will contibute to the noise, and it's the accumulative effect that you hear.
Tweak any one thing and you will maybe notice a small improvement.
TBH - for me it's a matter of turning ip the stereo!!  haha!
But seriously! My first port of call would be the tyres - simply because they don't involve actual
bodily modification to the car - look on some of the review sites at the sound levels of them.
The rings seem a clever idea - but I am concerned about the quality control - uless they have been
made specifically for this job we don't know how they will stand the test of time.
Sound deadening is also quite a good idea - this is just blocking out the noise and not removing it.
It's always better in my opinion, where possible, to remove the problem at the source.
So Tyres would be my first - then the isolation of the suspension from the body - but with concern over the
manufacture of the rings.

Tags:

anything