Author Topic: Prospective purchaser  (Read 8029 times)

coolmint

• Approved Member
Prospective purchaser
« on: August 08, 2012, 08:42:08 AM »
Hi all looking to buy a 2008/2009 ge jazz 1.4 es or maybe ex. Anyone know of any issues to look out for has the gearbox issues from the gd/ old jazz 2002 to 2008 been sorted? Thanks Coolmint

guest3040

Re: Prospective purchaser
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:53:37 AM »
What are the gearbox issues you are talking about?
I have a 2002 1.4s (manual) and the gearbox is perfect. No problems at all.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 12:26:24 PM »
I've got an 09' ES and not had a single problem during my ownership.

Coming to 28k miles and loving it  8)

Will be keeping her for a while methinks. My previous car was a EP3 Civic Type R which I had for over 7.5yrs and I only changed to the Jazz as my missus said I had to for a mor family friendly 5 door.  Should easily beat my Type R record in terms of ownership

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:07:59 PM »
What are the gearbox issues you are talking about?
I have a 2002 1.4s (manual) and the gearbox is perfect. No problems at all.

noisy gearbox bearing in 1 ,2, and 3 gear.  it was only a problem for about 12 months around the 03 and 53 rego I think, is not a design problem,  just a bad batch of bearings from supplier.  The gearbox will never loose you down,  it just gets a bit whinier as the miles roll by.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 03:25:09 PM »
We've had an EX since Sept 09 and the only thing that bugs me is the rear brake disks look terrible (rusty/scored) as apparently the rear brakes are only very lightly applied.

We did also get 2 new alloys under warranty as the others had started to corrode around the centre cap.  Bit disappointed Honda wouldn't replace all 4.

Rabiedmushroom

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 06:27:26 PM »
The 2008-2009 Jazz's were built in Japan, not Swindon. My EX now has 66,000 miles without missing a beat. Gear change is still positive, steering is still tight, the paint is good, all the electrics work well, the seats show no wear because I've had covers on them, and engine is still on song. I've been told the brake discs may need replacing soon (fairly common on modern cars with heavy mileage in all weathers), and I had all 4 alloys replaced under warranty due to corrosion at the centres.

I understand Jazz GE's are getting superb reviews in used-car surveys. I couldn't recommend one enough :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »
We've had an EX since Sept 09 and the only thing that bugs me is the rear brake disks look terrible (rusty/scored) as apparently the rear brakes are only very lightly applied.

I have said in earlier posts that rear discs are a complete overkill on cars of low to moderate performance,  they do less than 25 to 30% of the braking, their force is limited by smaller discs, smaller cylinder area and the ABS system.  When a car is braking the weight transfers to the front end, causing it to dip and force the tyres harder into the road,  this lifts the weight off the back wheels and they take very little part in the stopping of the car.  If you add to that the fact that discs make terrible handbrakes,  it's a no brainer.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest2898

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 11:37:28 PM »

We did also get 2 new alloys under warranty as the others had started to corrode around the centre cap.  Bit disappointed Honda wouldn't replace all 4.

I bought my 59 plate jazz when it was 18 months old with 8,000 miles on the clock, the rear discs were like yours, and the front too! i took the car back and complained, all 4 discs were changed with new pads under warranty, my father in laws 09 civic 2.2 cdti had the same problem and similiar mileage, those discs were changed too, i have heard of similar problems with discs on here of that year, i think there may have been a bad batch of discs fitted that year, maybe worth a visit to your honda dealer and complain, my replacement discs have been perfect with no rust at all and they are being swept as they should be.... you will not be getting 100% braking whilst they are like this... my jazz stops so much quicker and easier now....  ;D

guest3250

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 01:10:33 PM »
Seems like these are very reliable- the gearbopx issue has been covered further back in this thread
if it is the sort of car that you think might suit you then definately go for one!
Swings and roundabouts concerning which particular model you want
If you don't want any of the extras then the ES looks like the best all round deal
I have an EX and love it - but I will suffer in the wallet when replacing the tyres!

bucksfizz

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »
Do not despair on the issue of tyres for the EX model.LoveTyres.com have Dunlop 16inch tyres in their 'Fast Response' and 'SP 2030' ranges at prices of £73 and £74 respectively ,minus fitting.I have SP2030 tyres on my EX replacing half worn Bridgestones.What an improvement in road noise and ride comfort.Even the wife was moved to congratulate me on the changeover ! That was almost a first!Despite some reports on this Forum of significant wear of the SP2030 tyre I have not found this to be the case with my set originally fitted to a 2011 EX.

guest3250

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 01:19:28 PM »
Well that's possibly the first good report on the Dunlop 2030 I have read - may they continue to serve well!
I have 2 left on the front and both had serious cracks around the outer grooves
Handling and grip is OK but I am not sure they are as comfortable or as quiet as the Continental Premium Contact 2's on the back
The SP sport Fast response is a good tyre - I am suprised at the price though I have not seen them below £100=
which Bridgestones were the replaced ones? - I have found Bridgestones to vary greatly from model to model.
I am actually in the process of pre-deciding what to replace the fronts with for the Winter...

bucksfizz

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »
The original tyres fitted to my 2008 EX were Bridgestone Turanza ER 370 ,of steel belt construction.I retained two when I had the Dunlop's fitted.One is now on a full size EX wheel in the wheel well which gives me peace of mind when driving in the more secluded parts of the UK.(I did not want to test the availability of 16inch tyres for the Jazz when I was aware of their rarity in tyre stockists )

guest3250

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 04:24:50 PM »
Ok - I don't think the E 370 fairs as well in tests and subjectively as, say the Turanza ER 300
So maybe the Dunlops are a lot better in your case

Tags: