Author Topic: Image  (Read 3526 times)

guest1521

« on: May 29, 2012, 10:42:13 AM »
IMAGE is such a powerful decider for car purchase - in Europe, anyway. It is v. revealing visiting American site fitfreaks.net. The general impression you get is that Jazz buyers in the USA are more youthful on average and more enthusiastic about their 'great big little cars' than their UK counterparts.

I think Honda 'Fits' (as they are badged in the US) have been available there only since 2007, too.

Perhaps it's the 1.5 engine, perhaps it's the badge 'Fit'... perhaps they haven't got nearly as much choice with great handling small cars as we have, perhaps Americans are more into substance/function over style/image (however it's a market that doesn't favour hatchbacks), perhaps they are just more into 'Honda'... 

Not to forget that overall motoring costs are considerably cheaper in the USA than here so you'd think that 'economy' cars would be off the radar there.

The American motoring journalists I have read almost invariably 'rate' our little Honda even in the face of Fiesta, too - some appear to admire it. Interesting.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
Re: Image
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 06:19:21 PM »
they make me laugh with their mpg at $3.40 a gallon

every time i go to the states i rent a nice 6 cylinder 2.5 as i drive about 4000 miles in two weeks as it is so cheap over there and the jazz/fit is a bit small in the states, i do see a fair few fits over there

i like my jazz over here though

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 07:18:12 PM »
I used to stay with someone in Michigan who drove a Cadillac and would go out of their way to get gasoline at 98c instead of $1 - it takes all sorts.  Maybe it's a novelty for people from Europe to drive a 5 litre car on holiday - but everyday motoring is a different matter.

Funny thing is though, although the bonnet and boot were a hundred metres long on the Cadillac, the actual space in the cabin was not that impressive, and the inside of the boot was pretty shallow, maybe the Americans like the Fit because it has more usable room in it !!!
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 10:13:56 AM »
you also have the problem with how a car is marketed. with no 1.5i Vtec over here the jazz/fit falls into an old persons category (no self respecting youth over here wants a 5 door...haha says me...and modification parts for the exterior arent as easy to come by as in the U.S.). shame really as if the 1.5i vtec engine was over here id be happy to take on my mates 1.6i 3door civic with one... Image gets built from those who drive the car, but marketing methods seal the deal it would seem (one of my friends cant admit his 1.4 8v 1996 polo is slower than my 2002 1.4i jazz because the jazz is "a pensioners car" :/ even with facts and figures in his face, and proof my car is quicker 0-60 and 0-70)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 03:17:28 PM »
I have always assumed that Honda (UK) expects anyone who wants a bigger engine than is offered with the Jazz to buy the Civic.  I don't agree with that stance (if I'm correct) - I'm sure they are losing out on sales.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 04:53:41 PM »
Well, I have had 3 Hondas, a Prelude in the 1980's (went a bit rusty), a Civic from 1999 to 2006 and now a Jazz.  Personally. I like driving the Jazz the best.  The Civic looked stunning and was very comfortable, but awkward to park and I didn't find the seats all that great wear wise.  In 7 years and 280000km nothing ever went wrong.  Even the tyres (Michelin EX) gave me 120000km

But the engineering on the Jazz is excellent.  Must say the Japs are tops when it comes to making cars and their engineering is first class.  My daughter has a Mazda RX and when she got it I thought it was a bit tinny but in 5 years it has been perfect.  No rattles, the doors still close easily, everything works.  What more do you want today.  There is such a lot of inferior electronics, dodgy gadgets and Chinese clones of poor US and European design (a microwave that lasts 11 months before the door catch gives up) that it is a pleasure to own something that was built to last
If music be the food of love, play on

Tags:

anything