Author Topic: Dead a/c compressor  (Read 4748 times)

guest1168

Dead a/c compressor
« on: May 24, 2012, 09:51:44 PM »
The a/c compressor on my jazz from 2009 has just died. A repair around 6-700 pound here in denmark. I am really disappointed, not something I would expect from a Honda. Typically now when the summer has arrived. And to make things worse, I was running late to make it on time to the garage this morning, so I received a speeding ticket (180 pound) as well.  :'(
Has any one else had a a/c compressor gone dead after just over 3 years?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Dead a/c compressor
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
I've heard about this on the previous Jazz (according to the Honest John website) but never the latest model.

Won't the dealer contribute to the cost as a good will gesture as it is just outside of warranty?

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »
A/C should be run at least once a week even in winter. Of course it's a great demister in winter as well as a 'cooler' in summer. Doing that keeps everything lubricated, sealed and the airways 'fresh.' Not saying that is the cause of your compressor failure but just pointing it out as general info for others.

Definitely see if the dealer can make a contribution as a goodwill gesture (at least) since it's just beyond warranty.

Sorry to hear of your speeding ticket.

Best of luck with your A/C.

guest1168

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »
Asking the dealer for any good will, will not change anything. I have used several different Honda dealer, even abroad as the prices for car servicing are stupid high in denmark. In sweden 30 km away, they are more or less half price. So what I have saved on service, I guess is what I have to spend now.
Regarding using the aircon regularly, I do have it on normally, also during wintertime.

I will ask another garage for a second opinion, because even with the aircon off do I hear a noise from the engine, which shouldn't be there...

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 11:40:51 AM »
Others on this forum may have more experience and can offer more advice with this than I can. Let's hope they see this.

Sounds like you have asked the dealer more than once. Presuming your car was serviced throughout by a Honda dealer their attitude could/should be a great deal more helpful, eh!

That second opinion you are getting could be very useful for going back to the dealer for a final try. If they won't be more helpful, why not contact Honda Europe?

Compressors shouldn't fail expensively like that when the a/c is run regularly year-round... as you do.
Stink luck when it fails just outside warranty, too!

I have a cousin who has lived in Denmark for many years and I know how VERY expensive cars are there (duty/tax.)

Do let us know how you get on. Best of luck.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 10:54:44 PM »
How can you run the a/c year round in a place like Denmark?  Car a/c systems are designed not to work below about 3C otherwise the condensor will freeze up.

It's a issue in the UK that it doesn't work at low temps as we get cold, wet weather and could do with the a/c working.  In cold countries the air dries up at low temps so thankfully a/c isn't needed.

eljuero

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Comfort
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 11:20:25 PM »
Perhaps the extended warranty wasn't a bad choice afterall.

Honda Europe (UK) won't do anything in my experience. They will just redirect you back at the domestic distributor and offer them technical assistance if needed.

Good luck!
100+1 HP

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 11:40:27 PM »
Hmmm...Honda in the UK have a good reputation for goodwill repairs.  On our previous generation Jazz I asked the service manager if I should buy the extended warranty and he said no, and if anything happened, he would look after us.  Nothing went wrong so I never needed to test that.

When we got our current Jazz I did buy a 5yr warranty from the outset and the salesman basically said I was bonkers!

Tags: