Author Topic: How many miles are required to fully run in a Jazz 1.4 GE engine?  (Read 6216 times)

bucksfizz

• Approved Member
I bought a second hand 1.4 Jazz in July 2010 with 11k miles on the clock.[GE model registered in October 2008]It felt pretty sluggish as did the demonstrator 1.4 ES I tried before  this purchase.Now at 25000 miles I am able to record 60 mpg on a motorway run driving  at 60-70MPH and the needle on the rev counter shoots up to 4-5000 RPM with only a light touch on the throttle.I believe it is now fully run in !Am I alone in taking  25000 miles to run- in a Jazz.?
  I suspect that the previous owner only used it as a local runabout.
 NB I have used Magnatec 10W-40 since the October 2010 service.

guest1521

Re: How many miles are required to fully run in a Jazz 1.4 GE engine?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 07:52:14 PM »
23000 miles mixed motoring on a GE1.2 and I could swear it's just reached its best in terms of pull and mpg. The difference is slight but it is there - do not have to change down quite so early on a very familiar uphill. So my experience is similar to yours. Great little engine.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »
Can't beat a few motorway miles to blow the cobwebs out of a car engine, local stop-start miles are an engines worst nightmare.   EGR and CAT both suffer in engines that are never revved as they are designed to be, and most engine wear takes place in cold engines.  Which is why low mileage cars are sometimes not such a bargain as they seem.

My GD has done nearly 100K now and I'm sure its still getting better.  Now weather is warming up am getting nearly 60 mpg (indicated) which is about 55 real world mpg on mixed town / country roads  70 mile round trip per day.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 05:29:10 PM »
Can't beat a few motorway miles to blow the cobwebs out of a car engine, local stop-start miles are an engines worst nightmare.   EGR and CAT both suffer in engines that are never revved as they are designed to be, and most engine wear takes place in cold engines.  Which is why low mileage cars are sometimes not such a bargain as they seem.

My GD has done nearly 100K now and I'm sure its still getting better.  Now weather is warming up am getting nearly 60 mpg (indicated) which is about 55 real world mpg on mixed town / country roads  70 mile round trip per day.

how is your chain cam doing at 100k?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »

I have absolutely no idea - can't see it LOL

I do regular oil changes with good quality oil and have no doubts that chain will see 200K come and go.  I am sure it is a hydraulic tensioner on the Jazz worked off engine oil pressure (with a backup spring for when oil pressure is not there), maybe even with a ratchet system (like self adjusting drum brakes) to limit the amount the piston can retract when un-pressurised.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 03:33:31 PM »

I have absolutely no idea - can't see it LOL

I do regular oil changes with good quality oil and have no doubts that chain will see 200K come and go.  I am sure it is a hydraulic tensioner on the Jazz worked off engine oil pressure (with a backup spring for when oil pressure is not there), maybe even with a ratchet system (like self adjusting drum brakes) to limit the amount the piston can retract when un-pressurised.

yeah but you can hear it, does it sound louder than when new?

guest1272

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »
Really? 25k? The Honda dealership I got mine from indicated the first couple of thousand miles only. Just finished my second year of ownership and have gone past the 6.5k mark with mainly town driving to and from work - averaging 40mpg (45 summer, 35 winter).
Is that bad? If so, will it improve as mileage goes up?

guest907

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 11:13:34 PM »
I found they freed up and MPG increased between 10K and 15K...around 6 mths for me.

guest3170

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 10:45:48 AM »
Just finished my first tank of fuel, started with 16km on the clock. Onboard computer says 5.2l/100km (54mpg), reality (brimming the tank and noting trip counter distance) says 5.5l/100km (51mpg).

Quite happy with that for now, especially whilst avoiding prolonged steady engine speeds for the first 1000km.

Demo car that I tested for a couple of days reported 4.8l/100km (59mpg). If I recall it had done at least 3000km.

I'll report back in 6 months :)

guest3250

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 07:21:08 AM »
Is that right? the 1.4 has a Chain drive camshaft and not a Belt
If so I am VERY pleased about that!!
I have no idea about the running in business - despite engines being
'run in' on the bench - I believe they are only truely run in after quite a bit
of 'normal' use - my old Non-Honda car was like that - I got that at 35,500
and still believe it improved over the next 10k miles
My 1.34 EX (1.4) was purchased at just over 14.5k miles - will hit 15k shortly
so I will bear in mind that it won't be 'run in' completely for a while.
I know they thrive on revs - but will be carefull still with mine - especially
when cold, where the most wear takes place.
I am still not familair with all the Honda lingo- so I am assuming the GE is the new shape...?

Tags:

anything