Author Topic: Central Locking failure Jazz 1.2S 2009 Model  (Read 8272 times)

akh48

Central Locking failure Jazz 1.2S 2009 Model
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:58:25 PM »
My car is almost 3 years old MOT due and warranty runs out early March.  Last year I had problems firstly with the front passenger central locking in that it would not unlock when the central locking was operated, intermittently at first always working when it went in to be checked, then it went totally and within a week so did the driver's central locking.  When the first door went I was told by the garage that this was a very rare problem, they said they had not come across it before.  When the second door went shortly afterwards, even rarer.  Both doors were fixed under warranty after several diagnostic trips to the garage and visit by AA to help diagnose. They replaced the door actuator to cure the fault. Now I am starting to have problems with the driver rear door, been in once for checking just before christmas and it was fine.  It just seems bad that a third door is failing all within the last year.

Just wanted to know if anyone else had similar problems.  I am worried once my warranty runs out in March it will start to play up again and I will finish up having to pay to get it fixed.  I had similar problems with central locking on my previous car, WV polo, which was the reason I got rid of it and just feel as if the same is happening again.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Central Locking failure Jazz 1.2S 2009 Model
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »
You certainly seem to be unlucky as this is not a common fault.Maybe all your lock actuators came from a bad batch.
I suggest that you report any faults to the dealer,in writing,before the warranty expires.They are then still covered under the warranty.
I had a fault 'fixed' under warranty that re-occurred after the warranty expired.The second repair was carried out free of charge.

Vic.

akh48

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:14:31 PM »
Just thought I would update in case anyone can offer any further advice.

After my last post things are no better I have now had 4 locks replaced, first the front driver and passenger, then the driver rear door which had been playing up failed when it went for its Mot in March so that was diagnosed with the same problems and fixed under warranty.  Not long after the the front passenger lock, which had already been replaced last year, went yet again and the garage fixed even though it was out of warranty by a month or 2. 

By this time it was getting beyond a joke and even the garage who had been replacing them agreed so I reported it to Honda UK.  To be honest I was not impressed with how it was dealt with them and felt they just fobbed me off, saying that they would be surprised if it happened again, I said I would be more suprised if it didnt.  They said if it did happen again to go into my local garage and they would 'consider replacing' even though it was out of warranty, they would not say they would definitely replace even though it is clear there is an underlying problem which started well within warranty.  I asked was there nothing else that could be causing the door locks all to break and they insist there is nothing else.  This complaint was in April or May, cant remember the exact date and I asked them to put in writing what was said to me so that if it didnt happen again I would have a record of my complaint. They said I didnt need it in writing as it was on their records but they would send it to me. I also told them I was not happy with how my complaint had been dealt with as I felt they had just fobbed me off and not resolved the problem.  As yet I am still waiting for the letter.

Last week yet another door lock went, this time the back passenger, the only door that had not failed.  This could have been faulty for weeks as it had been at least a month since the door was last used and how many people check doors not in use.  I rang the garage to inform them and they have contacted Honda and I am still waiting to see if they will fix as the warranty ran out in March.  When I spoke to the garage they had no record on their system of my complaint to Honda UK, so much for Honda UK and saying it would all be on their records.  I now have a door that has been locked every time I have checked for over a week.

This is the first Honda I have owned and I cant fault the garage they have done all they can within warranty rules to help me out, but I am not happy at the amount of time my car has spent in the garage and with Honda UK and the way they have dealt with my complaint.

Re the response to my original post, thanks for posting, I find it hard to believe they are all from the same batch as my car was made in 2009, was fine for the first 2 years and the replacements have been done over a year's period and I have just been unlucky enough to have 5 of them. I am sure there would have been further reports of others having the same fault if that were a batch of them.  I was wondering if maybe something else may be causing the actuators to go faulty, ie an underlying problem not yet discovered, as it does seem strange for so many door locks to go in just over a year.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:39:50 PM by akh48 »

akh48

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:57:35 AM »
Update on my previous post.

My fifth failed lock is now replaced, though the replacement sent by Honda was broken when they went to fit it, which they only found out after taking out the faulty one.  They gave me a courtesy car and they managed to get a replacement part by early the next morning, after waiting almost a month for the previous replacement after a problem getting the part.

Still not being happy about all this and never receiving the letter confirming what was said in my previous complaint to Honda CS I rang up again.  The first person I called said the person I had spoken to last was not available and arranged for her to ring me on the Friday she also confirmed the letter had been sent, but I have not received despite them having my correct address.  Over a week later, still waiting for the call I rang them again on Thursday.  The person was on holiday this time but I am glad as I got to speak to someone who was very helpful and advised me that there was indeed a problem with the locks, but that there was not a recall.  She said they had been replacing the faulty locks, even when outside warranty.  I explained I was still not happy as how many times did they have to keep replacing the locks and for how long would they do this now my car was out of warranty.  I said surely there was an underlying problem for so many locks to go on one car and she agreed.  She went away to speak to someone one and promised to ring me back.  She rang me back within the hour after speaking to the person I have been dealing with at my local Honda dealer.  They have decided to have my car in for a couple of days and give me a courtesy car and do full checks.  She agreed with me that it was better to try and find what was causing them to fail than just keep replacing them. 

At last I feel as if this ongoing problem may be coming to an end, at least they seem to be trying to do something about it now rather than just keep fobbing me off and saying there is no problem with the locks, and if they cant find an underlying problem I will be asking for confirmation that they will replace any further locks that fail outside the warranty.  I am hoping that they find what is causing all this because its not just getting the locks replaced, its all the time and inconvenience as a result of the faulty locks.

Tags:

anything