Author Topic: Android Auto - Baffled!  (Read 5750 times)

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
Android Auto - Baffled!
« on: January 14, 2024, 09:26:25 PM »
Hi Folks, hoping someone can shed some light!

I run Google Maps or Waze via Android Auto and a wired connection in the Crosstar.  Everything was functioning fine until this afternoon.  I plugged in as usual and Google Maps came up, I selected the destination, and it thought for a few moments and then displayed "Something went wrong" and would not navigate.  I tried Waze - similar thing, only there was a brief message saying "no GPS" which then disappeared.  Waze would begin to navigate then after a few seconds drop the destination out, as if it couldn't find GPS.

Once back home again, I tried to find out what was going on.  First, tried the phone connecting to our other car, having made no changes to any set ups at all. Phone and Android Auto connected fine to the Toyota, and both Google Maps and Waze seemed to be just fine. 

Changed the lead in the Honda, and tried again, still not working.  Tried rebooting the phone, still not working, tried to see if there were software updates in the Honda pending, none.  Tried to re-boot the Honda infotainment.  Couldn't figure out how to do that, pressing and holding on/off didn't work.  Turned power on and off a couple of times, and the infotainment rebooted.  Tried to fire up Google Maps and Waze again, same problem as before nothing had changed. 

Google Maps and Waze work fine on the phone standalone.  Its when its connected to the Honda, and although Android Auto fires up, plays music, starts the Google Maps or Waze apps, it seems like it cant find GPS and bombs out. 

My brain is now fuddled.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
Re: Android Auto - Baffled!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 12:25:27 AM »
Think you may find that Android auto is a non runner_ I sure that is the case on my MK3 Jazz.
I too use Waze and Google maps (Waze, believe is Google Maps prototype, btw)
I have managed to play the voice instructions and warnings into te Jazz speakers - I think the phone (Android 9) is uses Blue tooth to connect but as I also power the phone from USB it may be connecting by that route.
I frequently get unable to find GPS. Often having to pull off road and reboot phone!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 04:54:00 AM »
I'd be trying a few tests

1) Does the built in SatNav have any GPS issues

2) Where is your phone in the car

The Jazz phone tray, stuck mostly under the dash angled downwards, isn't ideal IMO and that's why I built a bespoke holder by the Econ button. Does it do the same with the phone on the passenger seat, away from dash interference

Friend had a similar problem in a 10G Civic, location arrow always had him in an adjacent field or no arrow at all, and he got a car GPS amplifier and that fixed his issue
Let's be careful out there !

Marmoset

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 2020
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 06:10:46 AM »
Hi Folks, hoping someone can shed some light!

I run Google Maps or Waze via Android Auto and a wired connection in the Crosstar.  Everything was functioning fine until this afternoon.  I plugged in as usual and Google Maps came up, I selected the destination, and it thought for a few moments and then displayed "Something went wrong" and would not navigate.  I tried Waze - similar thing, only there was a brief message saying "no GPS" which then disappeared.  Waze would begin to navigate then after a few seconds drop the destination out, as if it couldn't find GPS.

Once back home again, I tried to find out what was going on.  First, tried the phone connecting to our other car, having made no changes to any set ups at all. Phone and Android Auto connected fine to the Toyota, and both Google Maps and Waze seemed to be just fine. 

Changed the lead in the Honda, and tried again, still not working.  Tried rebooting the phone, still not working, tried to see if there were software updates in the Honda pending, none.  Tried to re-boot the Honda infotainment.  Couldn't figure out how to do that, pressing and holding on/off didn't work.  Turned power on and off a couple of times, and the infotainment rebooted.  Tried to fire up Google Maps and Waze again, same problem as before nothing had changed. 

Google Maps and Waze work fine on the phone standalone.  Its when its connected to the Honda, and although Android Auto fires up, plays music, starts the Google Maps or Waze apps, it seems like it cant find GPS and bombs out. 

My brain is now fuddled.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
I had a series of ''Oops, something went wrong'' messages a couple of weeks or so ago using Google maps with a wired connection.  I tried rebooting my phone to no avail.  I checked my phone's Google and location settings because some months ago my Google settings had changed, and I think that it was at the time of an Android update.  But all the phone's settings seemed to be ok.

After about a week of not using the car, I tried to load a route and it worked perfectly. Whatever the problem had been it seemed to have sorted itself out. 

I then tried connected to Android Auto using a different lead and the problem returned but persisted when I reverted to the original lead. Another phone reboot with the car parked in a service station finally managed to get it up and running again.  It still is as far as I know.

I don't know what actually causes these glitches.  I wonder whether there's something unstable in Android 12.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 08:09:53 AM »
Think you may find that Android auto is a non runner_ I sure that is the case on my MK3 Jazz.

Think you may find that the OEM head unit in the Mk3 doesn't actually have Android Auto, which is probably why it doesn't work. The OP's Q is about the Mk4, which does have it. 

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 10:32:41 AM »
@ColinB
Thanks for your clarification  re MK3 and Android Auto.
Looking at the OP I get the impression that the setup used is SatNav on Android SmartPhone being 'linked' to
Honda Infotainment system. - very similar to mine in MK3
@ others
Until vibration (pot holes) makes the holder fall off :-{(  the phone holder is attached to central face air vent.
Suspecect that previous drives with Waze appear to cause GPS / Navigation problems - hence I clear History, although this could produce sub-optimal routes. Most times I know where I'm going, really just want hold up warnings and ETA.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 11:14:12 AM »
The Brodit holder for the MK4 is pants (technical term) and prone to falling off or getting knocked off, too prominent

My bespoke holder is rock solid

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=13618.msg107090#msg107090
Let's be careful out there !

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 04:36:21 PM »
Never had a problem with Android Auto just the flaky wireless connection. If I connect with a cable the phone sits in the cup holder behind the drive selecter :D

Hicardo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 09:34:14 PM »

Think you may find that the OEM head unit in the Mk3 doesn't actually have Android Auto, which is probably why it doesn't work. The OP's Q is about the Mk4, which does have it.

Thanks Marmoset and Kremmen, happened to me once before and was exactly as you described Marmoset.  No rhyme nor reason, and it suddenly cleared a couple weeks later.  And this instance might well be the same.  Some odd thing with how Android Auto interacts with Honda software.  As I say, it works fine in the Toyota using the same phone. 

Temporary measure will be to use a cradle and use the phone in a standalone mode just plugged into the power USB - until hopefully it decides to resolve itself.  Just means I'll have to bluetooth the music I suppose rather than using the spotty app. 

Anyway - weird one - and appreciate all the comments.  :)

Temporary measure will be to

Hicardo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 09:35:07 PM »
Did the wrong quote ...doh..sorry

Hicardo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2024, 06:08:06 PM »
Yay!  It's sorted.

So - this is what happened today.  I was pretty much resigned to getting a cradle and using phone apps direct, instead of using Android Auto, until it had resolved itself (somehow). 

When I was on my way out, I fired up the nav built in to the Crosstar as was suggested here, and I noticed that it brought up the Garmin logo, which it doesn't usually.  So I thought, maybe the car nav wasn't running yesterday, and I should try connecting Google Maps again now the car nav had rebooted (nb I thought id rebooted the whole system yesterday, so not sure why nav rebooted again this morning). 

Anyway - yes Google Maps now fired up fine via Android Auto, and I was able to navigate to destinations perfectly too! 

So - the car nav IS important for Android Auto to find GPS, or maybe its a config choice somewhere, and it can either use the car or the phone.  Not sure, but now its working I'll leave it alone

Thanks for the helpful comments guys!

:D :D

Tags: