Author Topic: Which car survey - Crosstar = most satisfying small car  (Read 3155 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Which car survey - Crosstar = most satisfying small car
« on: September 17, 2021, 05:17:45 PM »
I attach the brief comment in the latest Which? magazine arising from this year's car survey.

It's interesting that they have treated the Crosstar differently from the Jazz Mk 4 (not mentioned in this brief report - full details will be available in November.

The vehicle in the photo is intriguing. The MOT checker says it was registered on 1 October 2019 which, I recall, was before the vehicle was officially announced. Did it spend its first 6 months here covered in camoflage?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 05:21:16 PM by John Ratsey »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: Which car survey - Crosstar = most satisfying small car
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 05:36:46 PM »
The car I traded in for my Jazz was a Volvo V40 Cross Country - the Crosstar version of the V40.

The two cars were often treated differently, however they are completely identical apart from a few body panels and a 1" higher suspension - just like the Jazz.

I only went for the normal Jazz over the Crosstar as the figures showed 1/2 a second slower 0-62mph and 4mpg less for the Crosstar.

I'd be interested to know how the differences arise just due to being 1" higher and having some more plastic trim pieces.

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 09:16:49 PM »
I only went for the normal Jazz over the Crosstar as the figures showed 1/2 a second slower 0-62mph and 4mpg less for the Crosstar.

I'd be interested to know how the differences arise just due to being 1" higher and having some more plastic trim pieces.
Logically, the roof rails and the bigger radiator grille on the Crosstar add drag and this would show as an increasing difference between the two models in the faster WLTP test phases with minimal difference in the low speed cycle. However, the WLTP numbers provided by Honda in the vehicle specs paint a confusing picture: Low phase - Crosstar 72.4 mpg, SR 80.7 mpg; medium phase - Crosstar 70.6 mpg, SR 72.4 mpg; high phase - Crosstar 68.9 mpg, SR 72.4 mpg, extra high phase - Crosstar 44.8 mpg, SR 48.7 mpg. They follow the pattern I would expect expect for the low phase and I wonder if the two vehicles were tested under different conditions although within the tolerances allowed by the rules. Both vehicles suffer from the much reduced mph in the extra high phase which includes speeds of up to 80 mph (as do other vehicles of similar size and body shape - a long and low car with a lower drag factor is best at those speeds).

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 06:13:37 AM »
Honda should not be relying on third party reviews to sell what is a good product.

I've seen quite a few Yaris Cross adverts on the TV recently but no Honda Crosstar or Jazz adverts.
Let's be careful out there !

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 08:18:41 AM »
Honda should not be relying on third party reviews to sell what is a good product.

I've seen quite a few Yaris Cross adverts on the TV recently but no Honda Crosstar or Jazz adverts.
Have they got the stock to sell if an advert triggers more orders?

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 09:54:59 AM »
Link to Which article doesn't work for me?
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 09:59:52 AM »
Link to Which article doesn't work for me?
This is a screen grab of the PDF.
Neil Ives

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 05:23:14 PM »
Thanks! :D

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 05:35:13 PM »
@ John, thank for posting .this. If there is extra detail in Nov, would you consider posting the Honda bit.
I am not a which member and find they are well hidden behind their paywall, a Google search never brings up a winner not even a press rel from the winner.
Getting #1 &2 is reasonable result. Hopefully Honda sees that they could make folk happier if the road departure feature could be more easily can cancelled or turned off (even for the day ,or with reminders)
Yet to see another mk4 / Crosstar on my travels.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 05:39:51 PM »
Yet to see another mk4 / Crosstar on my travels.
I see a few Mk4's on the road but have not yet seen a Crosstar. I'm 20 miles from the nearest Honda dealership, that might be significant.
Neil Ives

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 08:18:58 PM »
I see a few Mk4's on the road but have not yet seen a Crosstar. I'm 20 miles from the nearest Honda dealership, that might be significant.
[/quote]

I have only seen two Mk4's, one of them was a Crosstar. Considering they have been out for over a year, parts prices will remain high as there will be no competition from third party suppliers for certain parts that does not have to be supplied by Honda.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 10:58:03 PM »
I’ve only ever seen 2 crosstars in the wild - one near Chiswick and one near Portsmouth.

I’ve also only seen a handful of normal Jazz as well, but my brother tells me there is a house in the village that actually has both a normal Jazz and a crosstar on their driveway.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 04:28:18 AM »
I've only seen one black Jazz near Southall and no Crosstar.

Let's be careful out there !

Karoq

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 09:47:53 AM »
I've only seen two. One blue one red, one Poole, one Sherborne.
No wonder some dealers are almost giving new ones away. Not my dealer of course! He is selling his demos from his 5 sites for more than I could buy a new one from Hendy,

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 10:33:24 AM »

There was mention on a thread some time ago that Honda were losing interest in the European market. I don't know if that's true or not but Toyota are aggressively marketing their cars, especially the Yaris (Cross and non cross) and the Corolla with TV ads, press ads etc. They seem to be actively seeking increased market share.

I haven't seen a Cross Star yet and Warrington has a Honda main dealer. I've seen a sprinkling of Mk4s but I sense (with no evidence to back it up) that the car is not selling well. When the Mk3 came out it wasn't long before they became relatively common on the roads near us.

Tags: