Author Topic: Mk 4 Auto air-conditioning.  (Read 1344 times)

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
Mk 4 Auto air-conditioning.
« on: September 17, 2021, 04:54:06 PM »
I am rather disappointed by the auto air-conditioning. I much prefer to have it on 'automatic' all the time, but when you turn it on it seems to default to re-circulating inside air and also to blow at windscreen level - and this continues for a very long time. 
I really don't enjoy driving with re-circulated cabin air blowing at face level and for a prolonged period.
Only if you turn off the 'recirculate' button it reverts to 'non-auto' again and air can be blown through top and bottom vents.
There seems no way for 'auto' to work without this set-up.  Anyone found different - or a better way to use it?

I realise 'Skump' started a similar thread about two months ago - but that seems to make it more important than ever to know just how much fresh air we are breathing when in recirculate mode.  There seems no definitve answer yet, maybe only Honda knows?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 05:16:21 PM by Hugh R »

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: Mk 4 Auto air-conditioning.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 05:40:13 PM »
I've noticed mine does spend quite a bit of time in recirculate mode as well - more than previous cars.

In the summer it will do this to try and cool the interior down quicker, and also save some fuel by not having to run the air conditioning so much.

On a Toyota Auris Hybrid I had there was an option in vehicle settings for eco a/c or normal a/c - eco preferred recirculation, but normal would prefer fresh air instead.

I tried both modes in high summer, but found that eco a/c where it runs recirculation more was much better at cooling the car.

I haven't noticed the Jazz getting stuffy inside though, so I suspect where it is showing recirculation we are actually getting some fresh air.

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 11:05:20 AM »
I am rather disappointed by the auto air-conditioning. I much prefer to have it on 'automatic' all the time, but when you turn it on it seems to default to re-circulating inside air and also to blow at windscreen level - and this continues for a very long time. 
I really don't enjoy driving with re-circulated cabin air blowing at face level and for a prolonged period.
Only if you turn off the 'recirculate' button it reverts to 'non-auto' again and air can be blown through top and bottom vents.
There seems no way for 'auto' to work without this set-up.  Anyone found different - or a better way to use it?

I realise 'Skump' started a similar thread about two months ago - but that seems to make it more important than ever to know just how much fresh air we are breathing when in recirculate mode.  There seems no definitve answer yet, maybe only Honda knows?

There have been posts on this topic before but when I first had the car (in the summer) , like you I couldn’t believe it being stuck on recirc for so long - never experienced this with any other car I have either owned or driven. Seems daft to create a stuffy cabin which is not good for the driver just to squeeze a fraction more mpg.
However, have got used to it, switch to manual if necessary, and as we approach the autumn I guess it will behave like “normal “ cars.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 05:33:01 PM »
I haven't noticed the Jazz getting stuffy inside though, so I suspect where it is showing recirculation we are actually getting some fresh air.
I've avoided using recirculated air in previous cars as it soon becomes uncomfortable. On the Jazz, I haven't had the same problem so I agree, the air is not 100% reused.
Neil Ives

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 09:04:26 PM »
For me, mostly its a good system, but I wish the fan speed had faster settings for hot days

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 10:17:41 PM »
For me, mostly its a good system, but I wish the fan speed had faster settings for hot days

I agree..

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 10:22:20 AM »

The aircon has a finite cooling capacity,  and the warmer the air passing over the matrix and  / or the larger the volume of air passing, the less it gets cooled.  I proved this several times with a thermometer in one of the central vents - and the fact that during my tests only central dash vents being used and none of the others limited the volume of air the system was handling anyway down to a minimum.  The Honda system uses a simpler more reliable scroll type compressor which has a fixed volume that it can pump,  which is why the clutch is there to disconnect compressor.  Some other cars use a complicated variable displacement piston pump,  where the volume pumped can be varied to match the requirements of ambient temperature and engine speed, and compressor can be left connected to pulleys, those will still draw engine power even when aircon not turned on, I have no doubt the Honda system is designed to need no engine power when turned off due to the fact that compressor can be completely disconnected from pulley by the magnetic clutch.

I the MK4 has electric drive to compressor it may even have a smaller capacity than the engine driven one.

I have read that about 10% fresh air is allowed in because the 'flap' that closes off outside air is not allowed to close fully in recirc mode, so oxygen still getting into car and stale air pushed out.  I think that the main problem with recirculate is that the air in the cabin can get very, very low humidity due to fact that the same air passes through matrix all the time ( just like food dries out in the fridge at home if not sealed in plastic containers ), and can dry your nose and promote drowsy feelings.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 10:33:13 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 10:39:10 AM »
I find this issue with my Mk3. To the extent that I sometimes wonder if it will ever go out of recirculating mode and has a fault. I occasionally open the window to let some of the stale air out.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 10:56:49 AM »
I find this issue with my Mk3. To the extent that I sometimes wonder if it will ever go out of recirculating mode and has a fault. I occasionally open the window to let some of the stale air out.

:o

Wouldn't it be easier to push a button...?
If nothing goes right, go left!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 01:59:30 PM »
I occasionally open the window to let some of the stale air out.

some 'stale' air smells worse than other types  :o

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything