Author Topic: Correct Spare Wheel Size?  (Read 2524 times)

ssashton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 2012 L12B
Correct Spare Wheel Size?
« on: August 18, 2021, 05:12:25 PM »
Hi,

My Jazz doesn't have a spare wheel, and so the boot cover is unsupported and drooping down. I want to pick up a spare wheel from eBay.

My Jazz is a 2012 GG5. Full size wheels are 175/65/15. I believe this is a late MK2, not a MK3, is that right?

When I look at Parts-Honda website they tell me the spare size is 135/80/15.

https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ/2012/12SE/STEERING-BRAKE-SUSPENSION/TIRE-WHEEL-DISKS/17TF0C01/B__1800/4/23176

However on eBay I find a lot of Jazz spares are 125/70/15.

Can anyone help confirm the right size?

135/80/15 is certainly closer to the original wheel diameter. The seem a lot rarer though, and I find some listed for Civic. Would those fit the Jazz too, or might the bolt pattern and offset be different?

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Correct Spare Wheel Size?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 05:59:02 PM »
I don't know for sure about your car, but my mk3 on 185/60-15 specified a 135/80-D15 spacesaver.

I found a good one (unused and not too old) on fleabay. The breaker also had listed several smaller section Jazz spares, and when I bought mine I also included a message to say I needed the 135/80-D15 just in case they picked one of the others thinking they were all the same. Stuff happens sometimes ...........

I remember finding some 135/80-D15 but with 5 bolt pattern (some Civics?)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 06:01:57 PM by embee »

guest4871

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 07:35:48 PM »
 I have a MK 2 2014 EX.

Get a new full size rim and tyre matching what you now have on the car to use as a spare - which will not cost much more if you get a basic one. Mine came from https://www.mytyres.co.uk/.

With a full size wheel you avoid the restrictions of a space saver and have full driveability until you can get the faulty tyre sorted.

It will fit happily in the tyre well and the extra load weight improves the ride quality.

Either way you must get a retaining bolt (mine came from Honda). It the boot floor is carpeted, cut a flap in the carpet over the existing retaining bolt on the floor of the car.

Perfect.

ssashton

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 2012 L12B
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 09:52:00 PM »
I have a MK 2 2014 EX.

Get a new full size rim and tyre matching what you now have on the car to use as a spare

I was worried a full size spare might not fit the space in the boot if space saver is default? I already have a foam insert in the hole under the false boot floor. Do you do away with the foam insert so a full size wheel fits?

Guess I could take one of the main wheels off and see how it fits!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 09:06:53 AM »
I have a MK 2 2014 EX.

Get a new full size rim and tyre matching what you now have on the car to use as a spare

I was worried a full size spare might not fit the space in the boot if space saver is default? I already have a foam insert in the hole under the false boot floor. Do you do away with the foam insert so a full size wheel fits?

My wifes Mk2 has a full size 16" spare, easily fits in the space... If in doubt just measure the wheelwell depth.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 05:45:59 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 03:07:16 PM »
I have a MK 2 2014 EX.

Yes remove the foam. Keep it to one side so that if you wish to keep the new wheel when you sell the car you can put the foam back in.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 04:23:21 PM »
My Mark 2 Jazz is an ES plus and has 16 inch wheels. Lower level ones have 15 inch wheels. To save money, for the spare I got a 15 inch steel wheel: the tyre has a deeper tyre wall, so the circumference is the same as for a 16 inch wheel with the slightly lower profile tyre.

If you use websites like Oponeo, you put in your reg and they tell you your wheel and tyre size.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 05:12:22 PM »
Instead of the 16" wheel with standard 185/55R16 tyre,  for the spare get a 15" steel rim and fit 175/65R15 tyre ( which are much more common and a lot cheaper ) -  my wife has 15" alloy wheels on her MK2 ( the original 16" alloys now in garage ) for a few reasons, it was gonna cost more to get the original Si diamond cut rims refurbished ( they got 'white worm' ) than buying new Rial 15" alloys + Avon tyres,  the ride is better with deeper sidewalls and less chance of pothole damaging the rim, less noise, and much cheaper tyres with a much better selection.  She has one of the original 16" wheels in the wheel well as a spare.

The rolling radius of 185/55R16 and 175/65R15 is within about 1%.  ( in fact both of those tyre sizes listed on the homolgation sticker on drivers door 'B' pillar, below the door lock plate )

This is a very useful site,  it cross references different car wheels with other cars,  so you can go to scrapyard ( if you want to ) or Ebay and get a cheaper rim just for spare.

I would go for full size spare any day over the wheelbarrow space saver - having driven on spacesaver a couple of times it is not for the fainthearted.   Those spacesavers are expensive anyway, and the 2008-2015 Jazz will definitely take a full size spare, as others say just through the gunk away ( it goes out of date anyway ) - shove the expanded foam insert into garage and shove a full size wheel in the boot, you can buy the holding threaded bit,  but I made one from a piece of  M8 allthread, a bit of 2mm thick steel plate ( buy a bracket from B&Q or Wickes and cut it up ) and an M8 wingnut - easy peasy.

or this   https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-bolt-anchor/

Get a jack and wheel wrench if you haven't got one  https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/draper-jack-wrench-set/

https://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Honda/Jazz%20(2008%20-%202015).html
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 06:52:07 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: