Author Topic: Noise on turning  (Read 1730 times)

StateofTrance

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 (mk2) Jazz EX CVT, 2011 Civic 1.8 si
Noise on turning
« on: August 15, 2021, 12:05:35 PM »
Hi there, hoped I wouldn't have to post any faults so soon but here we go.

I had my 2015 mk2 1.4 CVT EX delivered around 2 weeks ago and was assured that the car had been fully checked over. It was driven 300+ miles to me from South Wales and upon delivery the driver reported no issues which I was happy about.
I used it a couple of times on short runs and the car felt spot on.
Last week we took it on holiday and it was absolutely fine until we got to where we were staying. I started to notice a grating and squeaking noise only on right turns at low speed.
At speeds over 40mph there was no noise of any kind.
Stupidly I hadn't checked and found there was no jack in the boot so I could check it.
We got home with no dramas and whilst giving the car a clean inside I discovered a tube of copper grease for use on calipers and pads tucked away in the boot.
Does this sound as if it's likely to be a caliper/pad issue?
The weather is awful today so won't be removing the wheel to investigate, likely I'll do that tomorrow.

Apologies for the wall of text.
Craig.

StateofTrance

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Noise on turning
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 01:52:30 PM »
Update. Managed to get a look today and I noticed the disc on the side the noise is coming from is scored. It's deep enough to feel with a fingernail.
I'm now thinking possibly a stone has got into the pad - is that possible?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 02:34:50 PM »
Usually stones lodge between the disc and the backplate. How much pad material have you left?

StateofTrance

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 03:15:36 PM »
Usually stones lodge between the disc and the backplate. How much pad material have you left?

there looks to be plenty of meat left on them

StateofTrance

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 09:58:17 PM »
Finally got the brake checked over today. It seems theres a spring clip that the pad sits into that had a tab bent over and touching the disc.
I straightened it out, regreased and reassembled it all.
A short test drive revealed no noise so I'm hoping that's it cured.

I'll give it a good long run at the weekend to make sure, if not off to the garage it goes

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 09:45:42 AM »
Also check the cabin filter behind the lower glove box, plenty of images videos on line. A new filter will provide clean fresh air in the cabin. Enjoy your jazz, for even more fun wait untill low fuel ligtsy up then refill with Shell super unleaded with dose of RedEx fuel cleaner our Tesco store had bottle for £2.

StateofTrance

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 10:01:43 AM »
Also check the cabin filter behind the lower glove box, plenty of images videos on line.
Not sure how this relates to my brakes but thanks anyway, i'll be sure to check this as using the AC recently there was a bit of a foisty smell afterwards :)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 02:38:30 PM »
Pleased you got it sorted.  :)

I would be tempted to clean the carrier up with a wire brush if it were me. You can clean the clips up, or buy some new ones like these: eBay item number: 333048864976

StateofTrance

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 12:33:26 AM »
Pleased you got it sorted.  :)

I would be tempted to clean the carrier up with a wire brush if it were me. You can clean the clips up, or buy some new ones like these: eBay item number: 333048864976

Cheers for that link I'll get a set ordered, I did notice one of the V shaped clips was missing  :)

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 08:27:48 AM »
For the few quid, a brake fitting kit is money well spent if the originals are rusty.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 11:50:48 AM »
For the few quid, a brake fitting kit is money well spent if the originals are rusty.

When I changed front pads four years ago, everything was corroded solid and I damaged all front clips beyond repair.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 04:58:41 PM »
When I changed front pads four years ago, everything was corroded solid and I damaged all front clips beyond repair.
Yeah, it's surprising how crusty they can get. All that salt and damp does brakes no good.

The rears on mine are <1yr old, but I've yet to touch the fronts. Will do a strip and clean before the winter this year. Time well spent.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 10:43:03 PM »
When delears say they checked the car over I take it with pinch of salt, the cabin filter is often left unchanged & will once replaced provide fresh air into your be Jazz. Enjoy your Jazz good choice, plenty of advice on the forum.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 08:53:18 AM »
When delears say they checked the car over I take it with pinch of salt

Very wise words, a large pinch of salt. I could write a lengthy essay on the poor standards of prep I've experienced at main dealers over the years.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 09:00:46 AM »
When delears say they checked the car over I take it with pinch of salt

Very wise words, a large pinch of salt. I could write a lengthy essay on the poor standards of prep I've experienced at main dealers over the years.

I think car sellers work on the principle it is cheaper to skip the inspection and prep work and just deal with any complaints... All those 100 point checks etc are just marketing guff.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything