Author Topic: Spark plugs again.  (Read 1169 times)

Trebor

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: I vtec es auto 2012
Spark plugs again.
« on: August 05, 2021, 03:40:26 PM »
Hi there jazzettes.is possible to change the spark plugs on my mk2 without removing the cowling??

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Spark plugs again.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 04:37:04 PM »
I believe small hands and sensitive fingers make it possible.

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 04:08:18 PM »
Hi there jazzettes.is possible to change the spark plugs on my mk2 without removing the cowling??

That would be hell... honestly it's not that difficult, just few bits to take off, have 10mm spanner at hand.
I did this twice so far and even with cowling and shelf out it's a fiddly job.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 05:55:06 PM »
It isn't hard to get plastic and then the metal shelf undone, no need to remove wiper motor just take out the three bolts and push it to one side.  Don't fancy trying to do the plugs with the shelf still there.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Trebor

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: I vtec es auto 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 03:32:50 PM »
Re spark plug removal,why I say can the plugs be removed with out taking the cowl off,is because I don’t think the plugs have been removed,nothing has been disturbed,the garage said they renewed the plugs I can’t help thinking I’ve been done up like a kipper.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 04:20:53 PM »
Re spark plug removal,why I say can the plugs be removed with out taking the cowl off,is because I don’t think the plugs have been removed,nothing has been disturbed,the garage said they renewed the plugs I can’t help thinking I’ve been done up like a kipper.

Wouldn't be the first time a garage has made kippers out of its customers.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 02:47:24 PM »
Sorry to hear it. I've bought used cars with service invoices from main dealers. Pollen filters charged for yet never changed. Theft of poor old customers money, but the garage know that 99+% of customers will never ever check if the work has been done as billed. 

Some workshop managers do not give their techs enough time to do the jobs properly in the interests of profitability, so corners are cut.

ssashton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 2012 L12B
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 04:20:50 PM »
I got a Jazz about a month ago, used. The owner said it had new plugs about a year ago as part of a service. When I took a look 3 out of 4 were new! Also not quite the right ones; Denso with 0.9mm gap but Honda quote 1.1mm - 1.3mm.

Like.. why go to all the effort needed on these cars to do plugs and only do 3 of them? I guess the garage used what they had in stock and they only had 3. Or they just made a mistake a re-installed one of the originals.

Leads to my second point - This is the most difficult car to do spark plugs on that I've ever owned. Garage might naively quote 15 minutes then when they find it's a 1 hour job decide to make you a kipper. Although, given how popular the Jazz is...

Also you do not need to move the wiper motor out the way, it comes out with / fixed to the metal cowling. Just un-plug it, remove the 5 bolts for the cowling and 1 bolt to the far side with a rubber damper that helps support the wiper motor on the main bulkhead.

Keekster71

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 08:05:31 PM »
As I own a classic beetle with twin carbs I reckon it’s easier to change the plugs on my jazz. The gap is big enough but you really need a mixture of different socket extensions so the ratchet is at the right height to fit between the cowling and the rocker cover. Get the height right and it’s not too bad.
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was never meant that we should venture far." H P Lovecraft

Tags: