Author Topic: That grease-monkey feel  (Read 1506 times)

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
Re: That grease-monkey feel
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 10:41:00 PM »
Kenneve. Thanks for your well worded post. I  have learnt something again on here.

FordPrefect8

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
Re: That grease-monkey feel
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2021, 09:58:15 AM »
As someone who has worked in the Car Manufacturing industry, for all of my working life, may I be permitted to make one or two observations.
The use of the Disc fixing screws is essential for the following reasons:-

In the factory, the Disc is assembled to the Hub in clean conditions and the screws are used to ensure that the disc is properly located against its location face. Run-out (wobble) of the assembled disc is held to very tight limits, in the order of 0.1mm total Run-out at 300mm diameter. (smaller disc would have a proportionately smaller tolerance).
This is done to ensure smooth vibration free braking.

Now, consider what would happen at the roadside, should you wish to change a wheel, if these screws were not fitted.
When you take the wheel off, the Disc is no longer fixed to the Hub, because you have removed all the wheelnuts  and so could easily move on its register, and away from its location face. You may say so what! Well, you are longer working in clean conditions and some road dirt could easily find its way into the location face joint.
Thus, when you assemble your spare wheel and do up the nuts, there is a distinct possibility of excessive Disc run-out occurring, leading to possibly dangerous vibration when braking.

Certainly the move to Torx or maybe Allen key head would be desirable but rest assured, the use of these screws is very important.

Thanks for the insight, duly noted - those little rust devils are in fact essential :)

Tags: