Author Topic: Honda Jazz 2007 1.4 iDsi strange tapping noise  (Read 3774 times)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Honda Jazz 2007 1.4 iDsi strange tapping noise
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 03:25:22 PM »
Pretty much any engine will be noisier with thinner oil, as Jocko says the thinner oil does not have the 'gap filling' or cushioning effect of thicker oil. They do sell 'high mileage oil' for engines with more miles on them, it is thicker than normal and designed to maintain oil pressure ( the gaps in bearings get larger are they wear,  allowing oil to escape quicker ) and reduce oil burning due to worn valve guides and piston rings - normally an engine over 80,000 miles considered suitable for these oils.  Personally I will never use an oil with '0' as the first digit,  I maybe would if I lived north of the arctic circle....

Stoke on Trent feels like North of the Arctic Circle so I use an oil with a "0" as its first digit. :P

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 04:01:03 PM »
I use 5W-30 in my 2006 Jazz (132,000 miles) as recommended in the original manual. I have used 0W-20 in previous cars, but an oil company engineer told my son-in-law that for an older engine he wouldn't recommend 0W-20.
I have a 5 Litre container of 10W-40 in the garage, and I have used it to top up when the 5W-30 is finished, and I notice the engine is even quieter with a half litre of that added to the sump.

ojciecmajster

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 07:43:27 AM »
I was in the service on valve adjustment. Unfortunately, after the adjustment, nothing has changed. Maybe it's a bit quieter, but the tap noise still remains.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 07:56:54 PM »
Apart from the noise (which hasn't changed) have you noticed anything at all from doing the tappets? Increased performance? Smoother engine? Anything like that.

ojciecmajster

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2020, 03:03:16 PM »
nope

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2020, 01:29:47 PM »
One thing that is common with all these engines is they are very noisy even when near brand spanking new.

Lots of videos on YouTube and on forums about people asking if their Honda engine is on the way out due to the klak-klak-klak CHK CHK CHK that engine makes.

I also thought I had bought a lemon when I first got my Jazz but it turns out they are all that noisy.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2020, 03:32:18 PM »
Mine is so quiet I have often tried to start it when it is, in fact, running (ouch). Maybe I have a good one.

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2021, 10:26:09 PM »
Could pls give me few brand names and thickness numbers to what oils are the best for a 84k miles.
I do now have this rattling noise for few minutes upon driving off when the engine is cold...
Previous owner had used Mobil 1 5w30 and I'm just confused to what should I use now...

Ive seen on Ebay Valvoline 5W30 maxlife 5l can for £27 which coming from USA. Not sure if they would charge xustom tax on the top of it. It says Synthetic but it doesn't says Fully or Not.

Pretty much any engine will be noisier with thinner oil, as Jocko says the thinner oil does not have the 'gap filling' or cushioning effect of thicker oil. They do sell 'high mileage oil' for engines with more miles on them, it is thicker than normal and designed to maintain oil pressure ( the gaps in bearings get larger are they wear,  allowing oil to escape quicker ) and reduce oil burning due to worn valve guides and piston rings - normally an engine over 80,000 miles considered suitable for these oils.  Personally I will never use an oil with '0' as the first digit,  I maybe would if I lived north of the arctic circle....

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2021, 12:20:50 AM »
Just put any fully synthetic oil in.
From 0w20 to 5w40

Avoid Halfords oil and asda oil both terrible in my experience

I always change my oil ready for winter and ready for summer, so 2 times a year.

I have done this ever since my mechanic training in the early 90s. Never had any engine problems and always keep my cars till well over 150,000 miles. Folks just get scared of high mileage and they shouldnt.

Oil isn't just there to lubricate, it's there to absorb acids, carbon and all sorts of unburnt rubbish etc.

Don't worry too much about tappet noise it's just telling you your oil is ready for a change.

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2021, 01:23:22 AM »
Like Jocko, mine's so, so quiet and you often think the engine isn't even running, but it's only done 7550 miles, so quiet as a mouse.

Tags:

anything