Author Topic: Krem v Dealer  (Read 5488 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Krem v Dealer
« on: July 20, 2021, 06:05:23 AM »
After the test drive I told the dealer I was definitely interested but I didn't want an August registration prior to the new Sep reg.

I further told them that if Sep is busy then I'm happy to wait till Oct as I'm holding out for a MY22 as well. New reg and latest model. No rush as my Civic is taxed, MOT and serviced till March and has zero problems.

They won't give up as they phoned me twice yesterday trying desperately to get me back to the showroom.

Over the years I've heard it all before as I've been buying new, normally every 3 years, since the 1980's. I walked out of a Citroen showroom once and they chased after me, that walk saved me £1,500  :)
Let's be careful out there !

Gas Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: None - considering a Jazz Crosstar
Re: Krem v Dealer
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 05:15:55 PM »
I think the balance of power between dealer and seller has radically changed with the internet and the likes of Carwow and We Buy Any Car etc

- I’ve given up playing games with dealers and their techniques to take charge. My pproach is very simple:

1.  I test drive at the local dealer
2. If I want the car I go home get a price from Carwow and one from WBAC for my p ex
3. I contact my local dealer and tell him what Carwow can supply the car for and what WBAC are offering in P ex and invite him to match it.
4. If he matches it or gets very close I will buy from him - I do feel a bit of loyalty as he has supplied the test drive etc. However this only goes so far and if if he is way off I will just go to one of the carwow dealers instead.

Every time I have tried this with Audi it has worked.  My only failure was with Hyundai who, despite me having bought 3 cars from the dealership tried to say the Carwow offer was fake etc.

That annoyed me immensely so I went to the Carwow dealer that offered the better price - 20 mile drive saved £500.  The process was identical to any other main dealer purchase - Car wow just provided the introduction to the supplying dealer.

When I last looked it seems Carwow reckons you can get about 2k off the price of a new Jazz Ex / Crosstar from one of their approved dealers.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 09:04:29 PM »
The UK  new car market is quite a puzzle, I do not know how it will develop.
The car market is so fragmented,   just four  big fish take 50%  of sales.
VW Group (Audi/Seat/Skoda/VW) with 20%, BMW 10%, Mercedes 10% Ford 10%.
That leaves a considerable  number of minnows for the other  50%.
Add in the consideration that the UK is an oddball, being right hand drive in a left hand drive world,  why do those minnows go to the expense  of re-engineering for RHD  for a few thousand sales per annum?
UK motorists  have seen the the fuill withdrawal of several marques, Lancia, Daihatsu, Proton, Lada. Next year Mitsubishi will withdraw.
 Players such as Renault sell a fraction of the cars they sold in the 1990s,  try finding a Fiat, Renault or Citroen dealership inm any towns.
The Great Reset?
Who will be on the list to abandon the UK car market? Predictions please!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:16:40 PM by E27006 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 09:18:36 PM »
My chances of a new car this summer have diminished considerably today. My wife spent the cost on a new SE on a kitchen today. The only consolation is, by the time it is fitted, it will be a 71 plate!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 09:18:45 PM »
Add in the consideration that the UK is an oddball, being right hand drive in a left hand drive world,  why do those minnows go to the expense  of re-engineering for RHD  for a few thousand sales per annum?

That is really no problem for the Japanese car manufacturers. It seems that in Japan people also drive on the wrong side (RHD) of the road.... ;D
So everything that is produced for the home market can also be delivered at your island(s) after a sea voyage, right?
If nothing goes right, go left!

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 09:27:36 PM »
Krem, just tell them not to phone you, then arrange to meet in person on a  date that suits you in aug or sept.  they have to respect your wishes regarding contact.  if they don't, call their boss and tell them they're not respecting GDPR laws. 

I had an education session with my salesman too, once done, he was fine.  they're so used to bullying tactics - its such a daft strategy  :o

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 11:35:58 PM »
My chances of a new car this summer have diminished considerably today. My wife spent the cost on a new SE on a kitchen today. The only consolation is, by the time it is fitted, it will be a 71 plate!
She may have given you a favour, by then the Honda forecourts should have some low mileage used cars for sale,  you will save   money (depreciation ) and still have a very nice car. Honda Approved Used cars are first-class, you have 1000 miles or four weeks to reject a car, if there is anything wrong with the car, you will notice it.

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 11:41:20 PM »
Just a small enquiry .  .  .  .  .  but what does Krem mean?

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 04:50:20 AM »
I sort of knew what was coming as I gave the 'sales excecutive'  my phone and email, but with the instructions, as above, that I wanted Sep/Oct earliest MY22 in red.

I guessed they would work out some early figures to get me back early.

The latest is that he will call me back on 1st working day Sep with new figures which seemed odd as if the above is available first week Sep then I'd have thought mid August would be better ......... which is just what my preferred dealer is doing. I just went local for the test.

I bought my 07 and 09 Civics from the local dealer and both were presented in unacceptable condition, especially the 09 Civic:

07 Civic:

Inside looked like a sack cloth had been shook inside, took days to vacuum all up
Front electric windows inoperative

09 Civic:

Rear number plate seriously wonky
Battery red terminal cover hanging off
Tyre pressures, should be 30 all round, ranged from 26 to 36
Floor mats not anchored

The dealer has changed hands and their sister branch that performed the PDI has closed but Crown Bushey is still my favourite.

13 Civic, different dealer, no issues whatsoever.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 05:23:25 AM by Kremmen »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 07:58:44 AM »

That is really no problem for the Japanese car manufacturers. It seems that in Japan people also drive on the wrong side (RHD) of the road.... ;D
So everything that is produced for the home market can also be delivered at your island(s) after a sea voyage, right?

Many Asian countries including India drive on the left ( in fact pretty much every country that is part of commonwealth ), one of the reasons the Japanese got involved in UK market many years ago was that they did not have to re-engineer cars ( and UK cars were crap  :o ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 08:00:12 AM »
I sort of knew what was coming as I gave the 'sales excecutive'  my phone and email, but with the instructions, as above, that I wanted Sep/Oct earliest MY22 in red.

I guessed they would work out some early figures to get me back early.

The latest is that he will call me back on 1st working day Sep with new figures which seemed odd as if the above is available first week Sep then I'd have thought mid August would be better ......... which is just what my preferred dealer is doing. I just went local for the test.

The Sales Exec is just doing his job, they earn low basic salaries and rely on commission. A day or two (even less) without a sale for the books they are on disciplinary terms,  review/ verbal warning, written warning , final written warning. That is how it works, husband of a friend who sold the BMW MINI , he was a motorcycle salesman who moved into cars, several weeks of success, then sales dried up,   he went back to selling motorcycles, it was easier.
They often have targets, sales/day, test drives, finance commissions,  sales incentives for volume targets,  face to face  proposals where they generate the  written quote and then they want closure.. your signature to buy. 
They work to a formula,  I would not want their job at all.
The car retail industry is waking up to the mental health issues of the pressure of car selling,  Alcohol/substance  abuse, divorce rates and worse.
For the buyer it is not a pleasant task too, being chased, pursued, "befriended". One advantage of the Jazz, it lasts so long and therefore visits to the sales is only every 15 years

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 08:28:59 AM »
Don't get me wrong,  I have no real complaint as, as you say, he's chasing sales.

Some of his dialogue could have been seen as pushy, but as posted, I'm not changing my requirements.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 05:11:29 PM »
Many Asian countries including India drive on the left ( in fact pretty much every country that is part of commonwealth ), one of the reasons the Japanese got involved in UK market many years ago was that they did not have to re-engineer cars ( and UK cars were crap  :o ).
Burma (Myanmar) switched to driving on the right some time after Independence, but without a motor industry many vehicles were imported right-hand drive versions, including our tourist coach.  On visits to India the rules of the road were often very unclear - see picture taken in Assam!

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 05:27:35 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-_and_right-hand_traffic  says 54 countries drive on the left and 141 on the right (at least some of the time ............)
It probably gets skewed a bit when you take into account populations and market size for new vehicles. A lot of the LHT countries are quite minor (Eswatini, Kiribati etc)

guest4871

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 05:37:05 PM »
In some countries you just have drive on which ever side is best.  ;)

Tags:

anything