Author Topic: Different versions for different countries.  (Read 366 times)

Gamifier

• Approved Member
Different versions for different countries.
« on: July 17, 2021, 05:17:53 PM »
Hello,

We know that car makers adapt the equipments in the vehicles according to each local market.
Sometimes however there are big differences in price , specifications and even materials. Try the german VW golf and the VW golf sold in some developing countries and you will feel a big difference !

Another example i found is the engine of the hrv. In europe it's 1.5l 130 horse power, in middle east it's 128 horse power, probably a cheaper one.

One explanation i heard of is that the assembly is done in different factories in different countries with different processes and workers with not the same skills.

Any idea about the new Jazz?
I heard the price is much lower in china. how is that possible !  I am curious where Honda jazz cars are assembled and if they are all the same in engine and build quality?!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 05:30:24 PM by Gamifier »

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
Re: Different versions for different countries.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 06:35:03 PM »
I believe the European mk4 Honda Jazz models are all made in Japan, as is the case with mine. The Chinese market mk4 is made  in China and has variations, such as bumper design, larger front grille etc.
I lived in the Middle East until recently and many VW vehicles sold there were made in China. The Passat models were a different design and had US style flashing red tail lamps for rear indicators and side marker lights.
Some BMW 3 series were also Chinese made, with plastic seats at the time when European 3 series we’re using genuine leather, although some European market cars now appear to be switching to synthetic leather. The Chinese made BMWs could be identified by the use of Chinese made glass, whereas the European BMW tended to use European made glass, although I’ve noticed Chinese made glass in European cars now, particularly Jaguar Land Rover products.
VW were not big sellers in Middle East, having a reputation for poor reliability, weak AC and expensive/ unreliable parts supply, with poor residuals. Toyota were by far the market leader. Nissan sold pretty well and Honda to a lesser extent, mainly US made Pilot large SUV and Accord, although you would see the odd earlier generation Jazz.
Hatchbacks in general were not big sellers, booted cars or SUVs being the norm.
Kia and Hyundai sell well and many Chinese cars of dubious construction, which I doubt would pass European crash tests. Safety kit was minimal on the cheaper cars and lower spec models, to get side/curtain airbags you had to go for the ‘full option’ model, with the leather and sunroof, not ideal in +50 degree Summers! Non turbo, high capacity engines with auto gearbox was the norm, with servicing every 5000km. Even the small cars were auto and no cost for metallic paint.
Quite a lot of US SUVs, GMC, Chevrolet etc. which I suspect are good for the large families and their luggage. The traditional US full size sedan, which was previously a big seller, has now passed into history. I had the last of the big Chevys, which are no longer made, rear wheel drive Caprice 6.0 litre V8, which was actually an Australian made Holden with US engine and 6 speed torque converter auto, then a US made Impala 3.6 litre V6, 6 speed torque converter auto, front wheel drive.
With cheap fuel, large parking bays and little  chance of being caught exceeding the speed limt outside of city areas, they were actually a ideal vehicle for soaking up the huge distances between populated areas, with largely empty freeways cutting through the Saudi Arabia desert regions. Just had to watch out for camels, sand drifts and to make sure you fill up at every opportunity and keep plenty of drinking water in the car.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 06:44:53 PM by IanG »

Gamifier

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 09:34:00 PM »
Thank you Iang for the information.

Is there a way to know where a car is made from the serial number?

Deejay

• My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 10:38:30 PM »
I’m unsure if the VIN number indicates country of origin but the vehicle plate on the passenger door aperture (UK model) has ‘Made in Japan’ printed on it.
I read recently that, with the devaluation of the Japanese yen, many Japanese companies are repatriating production that previously had been sent off shore, such as some Canon camera and printer production being returned from counties such as Thailand. Canon still retained Japanese production for their higher end cameras with mid market and budget cameras being made in counties such as Thailand, Malaysia and China. Nikon moved a lot of their camera/lens production to Thailand around the time of their D70 digital SLR, the first sub $1000 digital SLR, which I think was the first model produced in their new Thailand factory.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 10:55:23 PM by IanG »

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not a Honda currently, previous car Jazz 1.4 Comfort Plus CVT 2013 in Urban Titanium
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 10:59:46 PM »
The VIN number does indicate the country of origin. VIN Country Codes of the Vehicles  https://epicvin.com/blog/vin-country-codes-of-the-vehicles

PaulC

• My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 09:30:16 PM »
The Jazz Mk4 sells in 3 versions in New Zealand
Life - an ICE car with the minimum features, equivalent to the lowest spec Jazz in the UK
Crosstar - equivalent to the Crosstar in the UK but with a petrol engine (ICE) and not a hybrid
eHEV: Luxe - hybrid, same as the top spec Jazz Mk4 in the UK

The Life and Crosstar are manufactured in Thailand, the eHEV:Luxe in Japan

Honda Australia has discontinued the Jazz and instead the smallest Honda is a Civic Hatch ICE made in Thailand.

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 10:11:14 PM »
Crosstar - equivalent to the Crosstar in the UK but with a petrol engine (ICE) and not a hybrid

And without the premium 6 HP + trunk subwoofer infotainment.

https://www.honda.co.nz/jazz/

4WD variants seem only available in Japan though.

Tags:

anything