Author Topic: Look At This Tyre.....  (Read 3670 times)

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
Re: Look At This Tyre.....
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2021, 06:59:56 AM »
I love cars and driving and I am very critical about tyre stability, handling and noise. Therefore I prefer worn and old premiun tyres way over cheap and lousy new ones. In recent years I have bought Michelins, Goodyears and some Hankooks for sizes that are not available from premium brands anymore. Sizes like 165/70R13 or 205R14C are getting difficult to find.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2021, 04:43:10 PM »
I find people's attitudes to tyres quite intriguing.

A reasonable car might cost something like £1500/yr in depreciation, insurance, MOT/tax, servicing etc, plus 10-15p/mile in fuel so another £500-1000 ballpark, north of a couple of grand a year total typically.

The tyres are what take you directly to the scene of the accident.
I'm not sure why maybe £300 for a set of decent tyres for a common size known brand every 5yrs or something seems so outrageous to some folk.

Each to their own of course, I'm somewhat obsessive about tyres I freely admit, I've changed car tyres which are only slightly worn but are getting near 10yrs old (summer toy car), and only 5yrs old on a motorbike.
Anyone (well, most anyway) who rides motorbikes will know the difference between really good tyres and not-so-good can be dramatic, alarming, and indeed scary.

A comment in that video about the "British" attitudes is true. A friend worked for a company making wiper blades (among other things), Britain had by far the lowest sales of wiper blades per registered vehicle of any European country, presumably because we are just tight wads. We don't change wiper blades until the metal is scoring the screen and the rubber is dangling in the breeze. Predictably Germany has the highest sales.

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2021, 05:39:50 PM »

The tyres I fit work out at 30 quid a tyre and while they are awful in every way possible, they have done thousands of miles in rain and even snow up over Dartmoor in early January. I refuse to pay 60-70 quid a corner when the cheap ones do the job just fine.

Well it's your choice, but did you watch the video showing the budget tyres performing as poorly as a worn tyre? The inabilty to regain control when the good tyres were barely affected.
Another test I have seen measured treadwear rates, the budget tyrtes wore out quickly negating the saving at purchase. 
If budget tyres are so fit for purpose, why do the car makers avoid using them as a factory fit?
Even the cost-concious Dacia Sandero at £7995 OTR new, leaves the factory with Continental tyres all round,  Continental are a highly regarded maker,  most certainly not a budget brand
[/quote]
I have seen the video yes, but I still prefer to spend 30 quid instead of 65 - 70.

The "if budget tyres are so fit for purpose" thing can be spun back around at you and can be countered with "if budget tyres aren't fit for purpose why are we allowed to use them in this H&S mad country". If they were dangerous we would be able to use them but they're not so we can.

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2021, 05:44:45 PM »
I find people's attitudes to tyres quite intriguing.

A reasonable car might cost something like £1500/yr in depreciation, insurance, MOT/tax, servicing etc, plus 10-15p/mile in fuel so another £500-1000 ballpark, north of a couple of grand a year total typically.

The tyres are what take you directly to the scene of the accident.
I'm not sure why maybe £300 for a set of decent tyres for a common size known brand every 5yrs or something seems so outrageous to some folk.

Each to their own of course, I'm somewhat obsessive about tyres I freely admit, I've changed car tyres which are only slightly worn but are getting near 10yrs old (summer toy car), and only 5yrs old on a motorbike.
Anyone (well, most anyway) who rides motorbikes will know the difference between really good tyres and not-so-good can be dramatic, alarming, and indeed scary.

A comment in that video about the "British" attitudes is true. A friend worked for a company making wiper blades (among other things), Britain had by far the lowest sales of wiper blades per registered vehicle of any European country, presumably because we are just tight wads. We don't change wiper blades until the metal is scoring the screen and the rubber is dangling in the breeze. Predictably Germany has the highest sales.
I mean, by absoulute weapon of a Jazz was £900 and it's lasted 18 months so far so depreciation isn't really a consideration and it will be crashed on private land and then scrapped when it dies, which it will.

In reality it won't be £300 quid every 5 years, it will be 300 quid every year because tyres just don't last for me. As for the windscreen wipers, the rubber on mine flew of on the motorway so that was that.

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2021, 06:13:24 PM »
Each to their own ! I buy the best tyres I can afford. The only contact with the road is the size of a childs hand per corner.  I have never understood why 4 wheel drive owners with OE summer tyres think they are in some way superior. You can have the best ABS /EBD and any other gizzmo,  It is that very small footprint  of material that you are depending on. A 2 wheel drive vehicle can actually be better with winter/all season on it. Shoes and tyres i never skimp on. I use Michelin currently but I would not go down to 1.6 mm with any make, after hitting standing water at 70mph and the car skitting off in another direction. Not brand fuussy either.

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2021, 06:41:19 PM »
Each to their own ! I buy the best tyres I can afford. The only contact with the road is the size of a childs hand per corner.  I have never understood why 4 wheel drive owners with OE summer tyres think they are in some way superior. You can have the best ABS /EBD and any other gizzmo,  It is that very small footprint  of material that you are depending on. A 2 wheel drive vehicle can actually be better with winter/all season on it. Shoes and tyres i never skimp on. I use Michelin currently but I would not go down to 1.6 mm with any make, after hitting standing water at 70mph and the car skitting off in another direction. Not brand fuussy either.
I couldn't have put it better myself. For a modest outlay, you can have 4 decent tyres that will give you safety and piece of mind. High speed roads are where decent tyres earn their crust.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2021, 06:49:17 PM »
The  majority of car accidents or "incidents" are not spectacular high-speed collisions, they are collisions  at low speeds in built up areas, e.g. 30 mph limited roads.  Emergency braking from 30 mph on wet roads, a good set of tyres may give you an advantage of  a couple of car lengths in reduced stopping distance,  that couple of car lengths can be the difference between an incident of  a "near miss" stopping short without a collision, only a serious scare,  and a physical collision with costly damage,  insurance claims and  prosecution for a driving offence.
I'll stick with my expensive tyres until someone can convince me otherwise

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2021, 07:52:30 PM »
The torrential rain this country has begun experiencing convinced me to opt for 4 season tyres. Let's face it, here in the UK we can get 4 seasons in one afternoon. I bought Yokohama Bluearth 4S tyres. £248 for four. So far they have done 12,000 miles, so about 2 pence a mile. I have just swapped the fronts with the rears. I, therefore, expect at least another 12,000 miles before I have to start checking wear. A small price for safety.

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2021, 08:12:08 PM »
Why? You have paid for all that tread so why wouldn't you use it? Seems daft to me.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2021, 08:24:11 PM »
Why? You have paid for all that tread so why wouldn't you use it? Seems daft to me.
I used to think the way you do then, as I got older, I gained some wisdom.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2021, 02:39:05 PM »
The torrential rain this country has begun experiencing convinced me to opt for 4 season tyres. Let's face it, here in the UK we can get 4 seasons in one afternoon. I bought Yokohama Bluearth 4S tyres. £248 for four. So far they have done 12,000 miles, so about 2 pence a mile. I have just swapped the fronts with the rears. I, therefore, expect at least another 12,000 miles before I have to start checking wear. A small price for safety.

I think they're a good idea in the UK - it annoys me they're not optional on the various SUVs that are on sale now.

I run my Merc on All-Season's and our 2009 Jazz has full winter Michelin Alpins (on 15" wheels that I bought for it) year round, they look like normal tyres and last well.   It came with 16" Dunlop SP2030's and they're sold as All Season in some places and they did indeed work fine during the 2009/10 and 10/11 winters.  Didn't last long though.

I just ordered a set of Michelin Primacy 3's for our 2014 Jazz - on the 16" size there's not a huge choice.  Some of the Michelin versions are gone now and I called Costco and although they have the Primacy's listed they didn't have any and wherever they get them from wasn't accepting orders.   Found Tyres on the Drive had them, and with 15% off offer which is a useful saving.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2021, 04:48:07 PM »
If anyone fancies setting up a winter set, I have a set of four alloy wheels off my 2005SE just sitting here doing nothing. A small donation to my charity and they're yours. They need refurbishing as a couple of them leaked slowly so replaced with steel wheels. West Yorkshire, if anyone is interested.

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2021, 10:08:57 PM »
Actually went and got some new front tyres today. The old ones were down to 1.6mm and the wet weather grip was a bit off to say the least.

They didn't have any super cheap ones in stock so I went for the other ones at £37.50 a tyre. Arrowspeed HP01's.

Tags:

anything