Author Topic: Horrible horn  (Read 3343 times)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
Horrible horn
« on: July 11, 2021, 03:56:45 PM »
Has anyone replaced the ghastly 'beep-beep' on a hybrid jazz, specifically Crosstar if so what did the dealer charge?
Thanks.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Horrible horn
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 06:09:27 PM »
Has anyone replaced the ghastly 'beep-beep' on a hybrid jazz, specifically Crosstar if so what did the dealer charge?
Thanks.

The horn on our MK1 Jazzes was so embarrassing I went to scrapyard and got a couple of Fiat horns ( plenty of Fiats in scrapyards then ) much louder ( is a loud horn a requirement in Italy ). ,  just had to modify Honda bracket and solder / heatshrink the wires.  Civic horn much better.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 06:20:40 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 07:39:22 PM »
Does it not affect the Canbus system then?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 07:51:01 PM »
Mk1 doesn't have Canbus.

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 12:06:04 AM »
I have one of the last Mk1's and the horn is more than adequate. it has a loud, confident sound.
I had a Nissan Micra previously and the horn was frankly pathetic.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 04:42:40 AM »
I can't remember the last time I used the horn
Let's be careful out there !

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 10:02:03 AM »

That's what I was worried about!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 10:18:34 AM »
I can't remember the last time I used the horn

Only use horn as a last resort to wake up drivers who have gone to sleep when traffic lights change etc ( although they are more likely messing with their phone).   Better to use the brakes than the horn in most situations. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 11:00:33 AM »
Only use horn as a last resort to wake up drivers who have gone to sleep when traffic lights change etc ( although they are more likely messing with their phone).

Sounding the horn whilst stationary is illegal (Highway Code, Rule 112). Approved use is to warn of your presence whilst moving, although many other drivers seem to treat it as a personal affront to their manhood if you do.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 11:30:37 AM »
Only use horn as a last resort to wake up drivers who have gone to sleep when traffic lights change etc ( although they are more likely messing with their phone).

Sounding the horn whilst stationary is illegal (Highway Code, Rule 112). Approved use is to warn of your presence whilst moving, although many other drivers seem to treat it as a personal affront to their manhood if you do.

Just the shortest possible 'toot' used.  So what else can you do when vehicle in front stays put ( getting out of the car to tap on their window is a bad move, as soon as you are out of car sods law says they drive off - and then you are the one holding traffic up ),  and taxis often use a peep of the horn to alert customers they are outside their house.   This is one of those laws that many people break every day.  Using horn between 11-30pm and 7am in built up areas is frowned upon.  If someone was reversing towards my parked car I would not hesitate to honk if they were getting too close,  has saved me getting hit a few times.   There is no law on how loud a horn can be,  but it must not have multiple tones.   I find Harleys with open exhausts far more annoying than a car horn,  and they are still legal, nothing said about riding a Harley in a built up area between 11-30 and 7-00, my brother in law has one and we can hear him many streets away when he visits our house..

The list of laws people break every day is a long one, and drivers are more likely than many others to do it, simply because there are a myriad of laws that motorists need to obey.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/16-highway-code-rules-most-people-ignore/

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 01:43:19 PM »
Thank you for all your comments, but nobody has answered my question!
I am used to a 'proper' horn on my Karoq and have always hated the Honda 'bleat' on all the 8 HondasI have owned.
I called my Honda dealer who said he had just replaced a HR-v horn for a customer with an Accord horn. I know not which model as some Accords I have heard suffer from the same problem.

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 03:33:21 PM »

So if you are stationary at the traffic lights & the car in front of you starts rolling back you just sit quietly till he hits your car while rolling back. He could then claim you went into the back of him as the car behind is usually held responsible when there are no witnesses.

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 05:05:11 PM »
Not sure what point you are making? I am trying to find out about replacing the miserable, standard toy horn.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 05:15:01 PM »

So if you are stationary at the traffic lights & the car in front of you starts rolling back you just sit quietly till he hits your car while rolling back. He could then claim you went into the back of him as the car behind is usually held responsible when there are no witnesses.
That’s a misunderstanding; Rule 112 (and the underlying Construction & Use Regulations) reads:

Rule 112
The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn
    - while stationary on the road
    - when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am
except when another road user poses a danger.
Law CUR reg 99

So if someone is rolling back towards you then they obviously pose a danger and you should warn them with the horn. But that’s a different case to the one described by Culzean where he’s just being held up by someone being a bit slow off the mark at the traffic lights. That is illegal.

All I’m doing here is stating what the law says.

Not sure what point you are making? I am trying to find out about replacing the miserable, standard toy horn.
Apologies for going off topic, I’m just trying to correct some misunderstandings. If people want to continue the debate about legal use of the horn then I’m quite happy to open a new thread, otherwise let’s get back to your question (which I can’t answer, unfortunately).

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 05:58:27 PM »
The ultimate solution for your problem:

But add this sticker :

If nothing goes right, go left!

Tags:

anything