Author Topic: Inside mist on front window  (Read 2692 times)

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
Re: Inside mist on front window
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2021, 01:17:10 PM »
Interesting. Perhaps the climate control system uses a clever combination of heat sources. A few points:

1. I was thinking the compressor is run off the engine via a fanbelt and clutch rather than off electric power. I suppose in an EV or hybrid that is not the case though and it is run off the main electric power.

2. Set to auto my ICE GK3 starts heating as soon as it is started in contrast with the good old days when you could shiver for at least 5 minutes before getting a bit of heat. That led me to think it was using reverse cycle aircon rather than engine heat.

3. You can set the temperature and the system will either heat or cool to maintain it very precisely. That sort of seamless and precise control is very common in automatic air conditioner systems fitted in buildings but using engine heat would maybe be harder to implement? Maybe not though. Perhaps fan speed would be sufficient?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Inside mist on front window
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2021, 04:58:13 PM »

2. Set to auto my ICE GK3 starts heating as soon as it is started in contrast with the good old days when you could shiver for at least 5 minutes before getting a bit of heat. That led me to think it was using reverse cycle aircon rather than engine heat.

3. You can set the temperature and the system will either heat or cool to maintain it very precisely. That sort of seamless and precise control is very common in automatic air conditioner systems fitted in buildings but using engine heat would maybe be harder to implement? Maybe not though. Perhaps fan speed would be sufficient?

Maybe because auto  electric heating components are now more widely available they incorporated one in the  GK3, at least in some markets.

Conventional I.C.E heating uses a combination of a valve that controls the rate of  flow of hot water into the heater matrix (a small radiator)  and fan speed blowing air through the hot matrix.    The hybrid could easily incorporate such a system  although I dont know if it does.
 There seems  to be a whole range of heaters and coolers controlling engine, electric motor and battery temperatures  .   
For HV battery temperature I think the Jazz uses the simplest system described in the Hella web site.  Ie it uses the relatively warm or  cool air  from the cabin to regulate battery temperature.

I think I recall from a dealers hand over video that there are two locations for topping up coolant. One for the I.C.E and one for the  electric motors and stuff.  Possibly  some integration between both systems.

Another interesting thing from the Hella site (or I might have seen it elsewhere)  is that some EV's have a cold sink . Part of the air con system can freeze solid so that cold air can be produced even when the car is idle.  I dont know if the Jazz has one.

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything