Author Topic: Panhard rod  (Read 1139 times)

Avin

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 1999 HR-V 3 door auto
Panhard rod
« on: July 09, 2021, 02:49:55 PM »
My 1999 HR-V has always had a noise coming from the Panhard rod over uneven ground, the problem was not cured by  changing the bushes, the problem seems to be that the bushes have a metal centre inside the rubber part which sits on a metal bolt and it makes a clinking noise over rough ground but is fine on normal roads, does anyone have any solutions to this problem ?. I have tried putting tape over the bolts before fitting and also tried putting rubber seals between the face of the rod and where it touches the axle part but nothing has worked, I know it is not a serious problem but it is irritating and I am sure that Honda didn't send them out from the factory making this noise, so any ideas would be much appreciated.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Panhard rod
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 03:06:57 PM »
You could try replacing the bolts. They may be ever so slightly worn allowing a little clearance. Or knurl them if you have the contacts.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 05:30:59 PM »
Panhard rod ends needs to rotate ( only in one plane, up and down ),  it obviously swivels on the bolt and the steel bush so the bolt cannot be too tight in the bush otherwise the rubber bush may get damaged.  If noise only offroad may be best to try to ignore it,  Have you been on another HRV owners forum to try to find an answer ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 10:32:26 AM »
"Metalastik" bushes in suspension arms usually work in torsion of the rubber for movement. The central boss is usually clamped tight to one part and the outer shell pressed tight in the other part. When rotary movement takes place the rubber essentially flexes in shear round the bush, giving torsional movement of the assembly.
Of course the rubber will also accommodate movement in the other directions too, making a generally compliant joint, which is why they are so useful. The linear stiffnesses in the different directions can be tailored by selecting different sections, you will often see holes or dimples in the rubber for different stiffnesses, or the assembly is not concentric. This example is for linear movement, not torsional, but shows the idea. A torsional bush would be symmetrical.

Rubbers will normally tolerate only a certain amount of shear strain, the radial thickness of the rubber is thus determined by the rotational angle required. Then the rubber compound and the length etc give the stiffness and load bearing capacity.

I would certainly expect for a panhard rod using metalastik bushes that the end centre bushes would be fully clamped tight to the body and suspension brackets. Bolt fits are usually fairly slack for assembly purposes, any looseness of the clamping will result in knocks and wear of the faces and holes.
It is good practice to tighten the bolts when the system is loaded in its neutral state, i.e. with the car sitting on its wheels. This means the bushes are working each way from the neutral or unstressed state which prolongs the life of the rubber, but garages seldom do this, they just tighten them wherever they are when they fit the item (suspension fully dropped often).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 10:45:02 AM by embee »

Tags: