Author Topic: Air Con  (Read 2469 times)

TonyO

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: SE 2016 1.3 manual
Air Con
« on: July 05, 2021, 06:43:31 PM »
I have a 2016 SE. The only comparison I can make is with Hyundai because I drove nothing else for 20 odd years prior to buying the Jazz.  On all of my Hyundai cars, on a hot summer day   I was guaranteed a nice flow of cool air by the time I reached the bottom of my street.  With the Jazz I get the same cool air but I need to be prepared to wait about 5 minutes for it to arrive. Is this normal or could it be a sign that my air con needs serviced? The car has only done 12k.  Thanks.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Air Con
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 09:23:08 PM »
Definetly it needs to be serviced.

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 06:34:29 AM »
Yes needs a service, my 2010 jazz a/c is cool in under a minute or so.

+1 on the re-gas

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 09:46:08 AM »
After driving 900 miles last week in my 2016 SE I’ve decided the A/C is a lot less effective than it used to be.  However, I’ve just had a quote of £155 from the local dealer because of the type of coolant used.  How hot is it going to be this summer?

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 12:54:57 PM »
After driving 900 miles last week in my 2016 SE I’ve decided the A/C is a lot less effective than it used to be.  However, I’ve just had a quote of £155 from the local dealer because of the type of coolant used.  How hot is it going to be this summer?
R1234YF is a lot more expensive than R134A
According to this the cutoff is 2017 but yours may have just been one of the first cars to have the new refrigerant.
On my car the correct refrigerant is marked on a label on the underside of the bonnet.
https://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/consumer/car-services/air-conditioning/air-conditioning-regas-services

No idea of how hot it's going to be but aircon is also useful for demisting windscreen and it's a case of if you don't use it you lose it as the seals dry up. So probably worth topping up.
Look out for offers. I got mine done by ATS through Groupon a few years ago.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 04:09:24 PM by JimSh »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 08:31:34 AM »
It's good to check the amount of refrigerant, but actually GK Jazz AC cooling capacity is rather unimpressive even as new.

dvhttn

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 Ex CVT
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 10:51:08 AM »
It's good to check the amount of refrigerant, but actually GK Jazz AC cooling capacity is rather unimpressive even as new. 

Hmm, thought it was just me that thought this ....  Had a 2001 Passat before, and overlapped with the Jazz for a year or so, and that was oodles better at cooling (yes the Jazz A/C has been serviced by Honda).
Dave
Carpe diem …

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 11:39:39 AM »
I must say it is a bit under-whelming, not one of the best features of the car IMO. With such a large interior volume it needs a bit more oomph to deal with temp control really.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 12:00:11 PM »

I think Honda explored every avenue for fuel saving,  and one of the avenues was to fit the smallest aircon system they could find.  Mind you my wife's Jazz MK2 the aircon is pretty much OK for UK temperatures, and she actually followed my advice to leave it switched on all the time  :o
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 12:15:20 PM »
I must say it is a bit under-whelming, not one of the best features of the car IMO. With such a large interior volume it needs a bit more oomph to deal with temp control really.
And with such large and inclined windshield!
My wife's 1st gen CR-V has much more cooling capacity, and my old Peugeot Partner even more.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 12:36:56 PM »
I have always suspected that turning the temperature control fully anti clockwise into the blue area does not completely stop warm air being blown out.
I tried to get this checked under warranty but with no luck

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 03:04:11 PM »
Compared to a Clio or a Captur, the Honda Jazz is a refrigerator, south Italy tested.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 08:27:56 AM »
I wonder if they fit a more powerful air conditioning system for Italy's climate.

My Mk1 is a mobile greenhouse. Last summer, just after the aircon was serviced, I took it to the coast. The temperature outside was around 25 C. After a drive of nearly 2 hours with the climate control set to 16 degrees and air coming out of the vents at about 5 the cabin temperature was still around 26 C.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 09:00:56 AM »
I wonder if they fit a more powerful air conditioning system for Italy's climate.

Not for this Jazz, spare part numbers are the same both for Italy and Sweden, they send the same kind of car from Japan.
European manufacturers usually make two or three kind of cars depending from the climate zone (hot for Italy, Greece, Israel,..., temperate for France, Germany, Belgium,.., cold for Sweden, Finland...) but manufacturers such as Honda and Subaru use to not distinguish, so the same car can be sold both in Italy than in Finland depending from request.
Uk cars could be different thanks to the LHD and RHD.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 05:04:22 PM »
In the USA the climate control in Ford cars is programmed to be more aggressive, apparently that's the way Americans like it.  As the temperature inside the car deviates from the set temperature the fan speed picks up much more quickly and the air flow in the car is faster than in European cars.  Also I suspect the AC compressor has a greater capacity as the air from the AC in my daughters car (she lives in Washington DC) is ice cold, it's so cold I cant stand having the air blowing directly at me.  She has a huge 4 litre SUV so I don't suppose the engine being robbed of a few horsepower by a large compressor is going to be noticeable. It only does 18 mpg and she is moaning because the price of a US gallon has just hit 3 dollars!

Interestingly, as far as I can make out, in the USA they don't have full and intermediate services.  The first service would be an oil and filter change.  The second service would be oil and filter change plus some other filters and as the car gets older the list of service items and inspections just gets longer.

Tags: