Author Topic: 3rd Gear, Series 1 and notchy steering.  (Read 1091 times)

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
3rd Gear, Series 1 and notchy steering.
« on: June 26, 2021, 12:54:40 PM »
1) Has anyone else found that you have to push right up for 3rd gear, if you stop anywhere short then it doesn't engage?
I've had my 2008 series 1 for 2 weeks now. Just a little noted point, that others may have noticed.

2) Also, the steering is wierd. Notchy is a description used by others, it's like you are pushing against something, but by pushing hard you often find you've pushed a little too far, and then a compensation back the other way is required. Mainly noticed at higher speeds on the motorway.
The car feels totally safe, solid as a rock, a power steering characteristic, I suppose?

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
Re: 3rd Gear, Series 1 and notchy steering.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 03:09:38 PM »
We’ve put up with the lumpy/thruppeny bit steering since we first noticed it well over 10 years ago.  Bit wearing on a long drive but otherwise just think of it as a characteristic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 03:38:15 PM »
1) Has anyone else found that you have to push right up for 3rd gear, if you stop anywhere short then it doesn't engage?
I've had my 2008 series 1 for 2 weeks now. Just a little noted point, that others may have noticed.

2) Also, the steering is wierd. Notchy is a description used by others, it's like you are pushing against something, but by pushing hard you often find you've pushed a little too far, and then a compensation back the other way is required. Mainly noticed at higher speeds on the motorway.
The car feels totally safe, solid as a rock, a power steering characteristic, I suppose?

Honda were probably first to fit EPS into production cars,  as a compromise on assistance vs power consumption  in the MK1 Jazz they reduced power on it to less than 40 amps,  the MK2 and later got upped to 60 amps.   The MK1 was the 'beta' version.... :)
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 03:48:52 PM »
The power steering is not as good as it should be,  the power steering of the 2009 model Jazz was  "improved" according to Honda Press releases

To reduce the effect of the steering, try to minimise   the "pendulum weight behind you effect " by not locating weight in the hatchback area of the Jazz, and learn to use the right degree of  acceleration when  exiting  corners, the acceleration pulls the car out of the corner reducing the pendulum effect and  the power steering to react and assert against the driver's control of the  steering wheel
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 03:50:34 PM by E27006 »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 04:32:57 PM »
The power steering is not as good as it should be,  the power steering of the 2009 model Jazz was  "improved" according to Honda Press releases

'Improved'  with more powerful assistance motor and increased current - 2009 was MK2 ( or MK3 depending on where you look ).  Possibly better torque sensors as well.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 07:03:37 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 04:42:17 PM »
We run a Mk1 and a Mk2, absolutely no lumpiness in the steering of the latter.   In our car anyway.  :D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 04:50:00 PM »
After 55.000 miles I never notice the steering "idiosyncrasies" now. The gearbox issue may just be down to the low miles your car has done. Once it gets a bit of wear and tear it may loosen up. Mk 1's have input shaft bearing issues but not until a LOT more miles. I had the bearings replaced at 95,000 miles at a cost of £324.

WelshBeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 05:21:16 PM »
Jocko you may be right, other than having to push right up, what seems a long way for 3rd, the gearbox is as tight and solid as you could possibly ask. And yes, after 7500 miles it should be bang on.

I agree with D3DSL the steering can be a little wearing for a long journey, but very small micro-movements seems to do the trick, otherwise you are adjusting and compensating all the time on the motorway

Thanks as always for all your replies.

Halminator

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Honda Jazz
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 02:24:56 PM »
The steering is indeed by far the most negative point of the Jazz. Thank god it has this downside or else it would be perfect! ;)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 02:51:29 PM »
The steering is indeed by far the most negative point of the Jazz. Thank god it has this downside or else it would be perfect! ;)

I was always more interested in the small turning circle of Jazz, much easier to handle on a tight car park than most cars. 

WelshBeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 04:30:35 PM »

I was always more interested in the small turning circle of Jazz, much easier to handle on a tight car park than most cars.

Whilst you mentioned parking, it's quite hard to guess where the nose is, I often leave about 3 feet, thinking I've actually oparked close to the obstacle in question.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 04:52:30 PM »

Whilst you mentioned parking, it's quite hard to guess where the nose is, I often leave about 3 feet, thinking I've actually oparked close to the obstacle in question.  That short bonnet is useful at junctions though.

You get used to it,  only car I ever had where you can clean windscreen and change wiper blades while standing in front of car....

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 11:23:47 AM »
I've not noticed the 3rd gear issue. My only issue is that reverse can sometimes be slightly difficult to engage. All the forward gears work beautifully for me.

The steering is odd. How it feels to me is that there's some initial resistance and then it 'gives' and moves. I imagine the torque sensor(?) is waiting for enough force to detect before it engages the motor and starts assisting you. It gives the impression of a notch that has to be overcome. Now most oddly for me is that when I first start the car I don't notice, but after a few miles I become aware of the effect. Like something warms up/expands and makes it worse?

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 03:35:13 PM »
The odd steering is indeed one of the only criticisms of an otherwise excellent little car, fortunately you get used to it and I only ever really ever notice it at the legal limit or just under on motorways and dual carriageways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 03:38:11 PM »
yes i just bought my first one and found the steering very worrying.. almost like the columns tight.. you have to correct all the time or the car will wander in which direction your pointing lol.

Tags:

anything