Author Topic: Rising petrol prices.  (Read 3078 times)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Rising petrol prices.
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 11:15:35 AM »
£279 annual depreciation over 12 years.
So the car cost less than £4k?

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 12:51:56 PM »
£279 annual depreciation over 12 years.
So the car cost less than £4k?
Yep, just a few quid under. When I bought our Octi, it was an ex charitly pool car and had not enjoyed the easiest of lives. 3 1/2yrs old with just over 30 on the clock but FSH. It was in unfashionable dark green metallic and had the 1.6 petrol engine. I took cash with me and haggled hard. I think the dealer was pleased to be shot when the whole world wanted silver TDi cars at the time.

Had the same car of had an Audi badge (the A3, Golf, Leon and Octi are the same car) it would have cost me at least double what I paid. More so, if it had been diesel back then. They were over £10k. In my experience, driving unfashionable cars is whole lot cheaper than being 'on trend'.  :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 12:54:12 PM by Westy36 »

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2021, 08:05:52 AM »
Reminds me of when our kid always bought brown cars because they were cheaper.
Also the rust didn't show.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2021, 08:57:48 AM »
Friend of mine bought a Skoda (Favorit or Rapide) many years ago (pre VAG), when they were even less fashionable, so that his, then teenage, daughters wouldn't borrow it.
He also found it a reasonable car to work on when other manufacturers were moving into ,then unreliable, electronics.

Must have been the Rapid (engine in the back, radiator at the front)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 08:30:31 AM by JimSh »

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2021, 09:00:53 AM »
Reminds me of when our kid always bought brown cars because they were cheaper.
Also the rust didn't show.

Like a friend of the family who bought a Lada Riva in "burnt orange".

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2021, 04:06:11 PM »
Years ago I was considering buying a 2CV Charleston and my daughter said if I did she would never get in it. Should have bought it. It would have saved me getting called out at 2 am to pick up her and her drunken pals, from Jackie O's.
Or maybe it wouldn't!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 08:50:22 PM »
I passed on a Jazz to my daughter so that she would have a reliable set of wheels. However, she complained that having a car with a decent amount of space resulted in her having to provide transport for her friends so she traded the Jazz in for a Mini.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2021, 11:29:11 AM »
I passed on a Jazz to my daughter so that she would have a reliable set of wheels. However, she complained that having a car with a decent amount of space resulted in her having to provide transport for her friends so she traded the Jazz in for a Mini.

;D ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2021, 04:19:01 PM »

;D ;D

My niece did the same, traded in a 4/5 seater for a 2 seater as she did not drink much and always got the job of ferrying mates around....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2021, 10:45:58 AM »
eg Oxygen sensor £280 each for a Jazz
This is true, which I why I havent bothered repairing mine and have just left the warning light on for 13 months.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2021, 01:01:10 PM »
This is true, which I why I havent bothered repairing mine and have just left the warning light on for 13 months.

Not a good idea to drive for extended periods with the warning light on, I believe you may damage or poison the Catalytic convertor,  your mpg will also suffer, you will be caught at the MoT test, such a warning light isn't it an automatic MoT fail?
No need to pay Honda prices of £280 each,  Lucas parts LEB455 or LEB456  are replacements formost Jazz Dsi cars and cost about £35 each on Ebay, possibly less if bought as a set of two

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2021, 07:58:04 PM »

Not a good idea to drive for extended periods with the warning light on, I believe you may damage or poison the Catalytic convertor,  your mpg will also suffer, you will be caught at the MoT test, such a warning light isn't it an automatic MoT fail?
No need to pay Honda prices of £280 each,  Lucas parts LEB455 or LEB456  are replacements formost Jazz Dsi cars and cost about £35 each on Ebay, possibly less if bought as a set of two
While I appreciate your concern, I think that the O2 sensor is the least of my problem with that car.

As for the MOT, that would require it to make it to febuary which judging by yesterdays performance isn't looking likely.

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2021, 12:55:39 AM »

If you are buying and older car and want reliability get a Japanese one, Toyota or Honda are bulletproof and so that means no surprise bills...
Not Nissan?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2021, 04:28:11 AM »
My neighbour has a 68 plate Qashqai and it's been at the dealers at least a dozen times with electric gremlins.
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2021, 08:10:55 AM »

If you are buying and older car and want reliability get a Japanese one, Toyota or Honda are bulletproof and so that means no surprise bills...
Not Nissan?

The early Datsun cars were models of Austin ( A40 etc. ) made in conjunction with BMC ( I worked with people who had spent time in Japan installing equipment to make the cars ).  Datsun ( later Nissan ) normally had decent engines but not sure about rest of car...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything