Author Topic: diamond cut alloy refurb.  (Read 698 times)

Geronimo

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz Si
diamond cut alloy refurb.
« on: August 17, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »
Hi All, 2014 Jazz Si comes with diamond cut alloys/grey paint. Corrosion under clear coat started about 3 years in and Dealership had wheels refurbished by No1 local firm. Once again about 3 years on same thing, under clear coat over bare alloy corroding. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on best way forward? Thought about an all paint refurbishment so self etch primer could be used on diamond cut areas, this diamond cut thing just seems trouble.  Cheers.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
Re: diamond cut alloy refurb.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 03:18:56 PM »
It seems all diamond cut alloys eventually corrode, I see lots of Nissan Cashcows with badly corroded wheels. When mine get bad I'll just get them powder coated in black or a dark colour and be done with it!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 03:44:47 PM »
Hi All, 2014 Jazz Si comes with diamond cut alloys/grey paint. Corrosion under clear coat started about 3 years in and Dealership had wheels refurbished by No1 local firm. Once again about 3 years on same thing, under clear coat over bare alloy corroding. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on best way forward? Thought about an all paint refurbishment so self etch primer could be used on diamond cut areas, this diamond cut thing just seems trouble.  Cheers.

It is called 'white worm' and had it on wifes Jazz Si wheels less than 4 years from new.  The clear coat is nowhere near as tough as the normal powder coat and after only a few years wheels can get the white worm from simple stone chips or a careless tyre fitter dinging the wheel, not to mention kerbing - and the bad news is that diamond cut can cost well over twice as much as normal wheels to get refurbished - as suggested get them done all over in a decent colour to match car.  Or visit mytyres for a look at their alloys - may be cheaper - replaced 16" diamond cut alloys on wifes Jazz with 15" Rial Milano Titan wheels from mytyres - ride is better and 175/65R15 tyres pretty much 1/2 to 2/3 price of  185/55R16, with loads of choice.

Alloy wheels are high maintenance compared to steel wheels,  but diamond cut are high maintenance compared to normal alloys - a 'clear' case of form over function...

Quote from one website

Design and aesthetics come at a price and inconvenience, durability is an issue and cost of repair start at £100 – £170.00 per wheel depending on the size of your wheel and the extent of the damage. A fast turnaround would be 48hrs but the industry standard is 3-5 days.

I had the normal powder coated all over alloys on Civic refurbed a couple of years ago for about £50 each for a colour of my choice - diamond cut alloys are cr4p and expensive. The main problem with refurbing diamond cuts is undoubtedly the re-machining of the 'diamond cut area' and masking off etc.

Attached PDF with pictures of car and wheels
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 04:19:08 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 08:55:00 PM »
Those wheels look really good culzean! Good choice with the 15" too, they do ride better than the 16". I'd love to swap my 16" EX wheels with the 15" on the SE models.

Tags:

anything