Author Topic: CVT Sump Bolt torque Setting  (Read 3422 times)

JazzHybrid

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
CVT Sump Bolt torque Setting
« on: June 10, 2020, 01:45:09 PM »
I try and do a CVT fluid change each year, at the same time as I do an oil change (I kill two birds with one stone while I am under the car).

I note that when doing the engine oil sump plug back up, the recommended torque is 39Nm. However, I cannot find anything for the transmission casing, does anybody know at all?  :)

In terms of fluid, Comma's fully synthetic CVT fluid is fully compatible, however, I have some Honda CVT fluid left over from last time so will used that (about 2.5 litres comes out).

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: CVT Sump Bolt torque Setting
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 02:28:04 PM »
I had a look on http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html and found the attached.

What is slightly confusing is that bolt A is what you remove to drain around 2.5 litres of CVT fluid, while bolt C is the fill point. However, it is probably easier to fill from the top of the engine bay via the CVT dipstick would it not?

Torque for bolt A looks to be 39Nm, same as the oil sump plug to be precise.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 03:53:32 PM »
The fill plug is a fill and Level plug. Assuming the car is level (such as on a ramp), once the oil starts to run out the level is spot on.

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 08:25:26 PM »
I see, that I didn't know. However, with my bad back, I don't really like getting under the car only to get back up a dozen times, any reason I simply can't undo the drain bolt, measure what comes out and then fill the same quantity via the CVT dipstick in the engine bay, checking to see I am within the two markers on the dipstick (when hot).

???

:)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 09:16:10 AM »
I see, that I didn't know. However, with my bad back, I don't really like getting under the car only to get back up a dozen times, any reason I simply can't undo the drain bolt, measure what comes out and then fill the same quantity via the CVT dipstick in the engine bay, checking to see I am within the two markers on the dipstick (when hot).

???

:)

Filling via the dipstick hole with all plugs in ( gearbox sealed ) could be problematic as the incoming oil will decrease the space in gearbox and compress the air in gearbox, this will have to go somewhere and will only be able to go back out of dipstick hole,  so will get large bubbles of air coming up dipstick tube and pushing oil out that you are trying to pour in... there may be a breather with a filter somewhere on the gearbox to allow air in and out ( without allowing dirt in ) but not sure - and sometimes breathers have springs so they only relieve at certain pressure.  My advice is that you should always at least make sure you can slacken off fill plug before you remove drain plug,  because if you drain oil and cannot fill it because fill plug is seized - well you have a problem and cannot drive car.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything