Author Topic: Dashcam installation  (Read 1650 times)

UncleZen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009, 1.2SE A/C i-Vtec
Dashcam installation
« on: November 28, 2019, 07:51:25 PM »
Is there a how-to guide to hardwire a dashcam to a 2009 Jazz, I couldn't find one using the search facility

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.

UncleZen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Dashcam installation
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 09:08:10 PM »
Cool, thanks.

UncleZen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 05:16:15 PM »
Finally got around to installing the dashcam. Bought a nextbase 312G in the black friday sales and installed into my wife's jazz. I already had a spare 32GB micro SD card kicking about.
Installation was quite simple. Located the cam, just to the left of the rearview mirror, the routing of the power cable to the fuse area took <10 mins, i used fuse number 8 in the schematic below (SRS, whatever that is)

https://fuse-box.info/honda/honda-fit-ge-2009-2014-fuses/amp

I also bought a generic hardwire kit. But it had standard a size fuse piggy back (my bad, I forgot to check the fuse size). So I ordered a mini fuse piggyback and bought a selection of micro fuses to plug into it.

I set it so that the sounds are off. And the screensaver kicks in after 30 secs so it doesn't distract occupants.

Works a treat, so far.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 08:44:17 PM »
The SRS is the airbag, Supplementary Restraint System. ( to supplement the seatbelt, because American drivers were too lazy to use the seatbelt ).. you may want to choose another fuse to piggyback....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 09:57:17 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

UncleZen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 09:12:29 PM »
Why? SRS is still correctly fused with ba 7.5amp fuse in the piggyback, why would I want to choose another?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 09:27:55 PM »
Just better  stay away from critical safety systems like SRS and ABS.... another thing is that the end of piggyback opposite red wire the two fuses share a common connection, this should be plugged into the 'live' ( bussbar) end of fuse holder, then each fuse is separate with a common supply. If the piggy back is plugged in the 'wrong way' ( fuses in series ) the power has to come from bussbar through lower fuse and back out through upper fuse to dashcam, in other words the lower fuse is carrying both ( in your case ) the power for dashcam and the airbag and if the fuses are close in value and a fault on the dashcam can cause either lower , upper, or both fuses to blow...which means airbag would have no power...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 09:59:47 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

UncleZen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 10:05:13 AM »
Good point about the 'live' side of the fuse, and the orientation of the piggy back. I'll pick a non critical fuse today.

UncleZen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 12:00:32 PM »
I used an unused fuse/circuit in the end. #7, transmission SOL (just need to get the piggyback in the right way round)
What I discovered whilst I was poking around in the fuse box was that some fuses, like electric windows, are ignition live, but only go dead after the door is opened. I suppose that's so you can turn off ignition, remove key and still operate the windows. 

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 12:37:13 PM »
I used an unused fuse/circuit in the end. #7, transmission SOL (just need to get the piggyback in the right way round)

If you pick an unused fuse slot and don't put a fuse in lower part of piggyback unit you will not get power on red wire unless the piggyback is plugged in the 'right' way around.....because power will not have an alternate path through the lower fuse...

Tags:

anything