Author Topic: Front and back brake pad change  (Read 2966 times)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Front and back brake pad change
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 09:48:32 PM »
I'm thinking my Jazz is still on the original brake pads at 105,000 miles . . . . . . . . off to check invoices
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:50:31 PM by Ozzie »

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 12:40:15 PM »
I've just had the 2 year service done on my Jazz at about 12,500 miles they've been assessed as 20% worn, that's a mixture of in town & open roads. I've noticed on the latest Jazz that the pads seems to initially grab the discs sharply when you apply them, even if you are gentle on the pedal, they are good strong brakes though and the pads bite well.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 02:48:19 PM »
the pads seems to initially grab the discs sharply when you apply them, even if you are gentle on the pedal
I find that is the case with my Mk 1. No idea what pads are on it. They were on when I bought the car, and I cannot find a receipt for them having been changed.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 09:35:19 PM »
I've just had the 2 year service done on my Jazz at about 12,500 miles they've been assessed as 20% worn, that's a mixture of in town & open roads. I've noticed on the latest Jazz that the pads seems to initially grab the discs sharply when you apply them, even if you are gentle on the pedal, they are good strong brakes though and the pads bite well.
So maybe they are right, going to get 2nd opinion.  Assuming that they would have been Honda pads fitted from new I might be better fitting another make, the warranty runs out in May so not 100% sure how it affects if fitting different manufacturer.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 10:15:44 PM »
can you see the pads through the holes in the wheels? If you can, you should be able to see for yourself how much friction material is left on them, it's the layer that pushes onto the disc, there only needs to be enough material on them to last till May, then you can get whatever pads you want fitted by anyone you want without worrying about the warranty. you can tell when they actually wear out because they will make a racket when applied.
Honda fixed price for a set of brake pads supplied and fitted is £131, the last set I had fitted, (not Honda pads) at an independent garage (about 7 years ago) they were £75, so its not going to cost you crazy money if you decide to go to a Honda dealer for peace of mind over the warranty.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 09:23:26 PM »
can you see the pads through the holes in the wheels? If you can, you should be able to see for yourself how much friction material is left on them, it's the layer that pushes onto the disc, there only needs to be enough material on them to last till May, then you can get whatever pads you want fitted by anyone you want without worrying about the warranty. you can tell when they actually wear out because they will make a racket when applied.
Honda fixed price for a set of brake pads supplied and fitted is £131, the last set I had fitted, (not Honda pads) at an independent garage (about 7 years ago) they were £75, so its not going to cost you crazy money if you decide to go to a Honda dealer for peace of mind over the warranty.
Many thanks.  It is dependant on how much pad is left and would it last up to May, if so then an independent garage is the option.  Would however still tend to want Honda pads unless anyone else knows of another good non-Honda pad. Does anyone know what an independent would charge today. Many thanks.

Tags:

anything