Author Topic: Honda Jazz What Car Used Car of the Week  (Read 18298 times)

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
Re: Honda Jazz What Car Used Car of the Week
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 10:44:49 PM »
What Car have this in their review of the Jazz 2008-2014

"There is a CVT automatic version of the 1.4-litre, called the iShift, but it's best avoided"

This? http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used/honda/jazz-hatchback/summary/25757-5

They don't make motoring journos like they used to.

guest5079

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 11:56:01 AM »
Sorry Guys, stick my head above the parapet.
Never driven a CVT box. Have an I shift. Yes it was a learning curve. NO it's not an automatic, it's a manual box with I believe a manual clutch, it's just that Mr Honda has supplied a little man who sits under the bonnet and changes the gears. As to the flappy paddles. Very useful on occasions, when you want to hold a gear, hill climbing or traffic, but normally I leave it to get on with what Mr Honda designed it to do.
I do not have a flat nose from hitting the windscreen every time it changes gear. It is smooth EXCEPT at very low speed when the stupid thing keeps playing with 1st gear which seems to be low enough to climb a vertical slope. That's when the flappy paddles come in handy. Stick in manual 2 until the 'jam' clears  and off you can go rejoicing.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 06:23:24 PM »
Auto boxes were designed to be auto.

Floppy paddles are for poor autos...

I drove an Audi A4 with CVT - it was pants..  Noise , funny changes . etc.

Most road testers are muppets.

Read this junk:

"The only engine we got to drive in the C-Max is the 1.5-litre Ecoboost. This particular powerplant won't be coming to the UK, however, and that's a shame because it’s a great engine."

"Experience with the updated 148bhp 2.0 TDCi in the Grand C-Max tells us that this range-topping diesel will be a good option for those who want really good mid-range heft"

"Should I buy one?:
Sure. If you really want a high-roofed hatch, whether for easier access, the slightly more flexible seating or both, the C-Max has a lot going for it."

http://tinyurl.com/pzcmhks

So Autocar drive an engine combination not available in the UK, assume that the diesel will work well  and recommend you buy one despite having not driven the engine most people will buy.

Pure unadulterated garbage.. Makes the Daily Mail appear a reputable newspaper based on factual journalism  8)

guest4871

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 07:18:56 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32332210

Strangely I would have preferred a Bentley. Can't have everything I suppose.

guest5355

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 09:22:36 PM »
Hi, I'm a retired professional driver (I.A.M. etc.) and I have driven almost every marque of cars available in the UK. 3 weeks ago we purchased a 2012 EX CVT and I have to say that this type of automatic is one of the best  that I have driven, when I say most marques that includes M/B, R/R, Audi, Bentley, Land Rover, Jag, plus a lot of models that are not readily available in the UK. As for the paddles, they are great. I use the vehicle in the drive mode and as I live in a hilly part of Essex the paddles are great. going down hill, I use the paddle to change the box down and the same when going up hills.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 11:42:23 PM »
Braingoing seems to be one of the very few CVT drivers getting what the paddles are for.
Almost two years ago, when we picked up our new Jazz we were lucky: the dealer explained what these paddles can do for you...
Maybe in Ireland they ehhh...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »
+1 more for the CVT and the paddles!
I was thinking about getting a new Jaz before they stop the current model, but now not having paddle shifters I wont be.
DCT is looking very attractive, I have it on my Honda motorcycle and love it to bits, it too has a manual shift option via buttons, one for up and one for down, simples ;D.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

guest5383

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 05:50:24 PM »
I am hoping to get a CVT 12 or 13 reg in the next few months.  I am confused as to what the auto system has : does it have paddle shift ? if not are there options for quicker acceleration etc ?  Apologies for being thick.

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 09:54:19 AM »
I am hoping to get a CVT 12 or 13 reg in the next few months.  I am confused as to what the auto system has : does it have paddle shift ? if not are there options for quicker acceleration etc ?  Apologies for being thick.

The auto system for those years is CVT with paddle shift. You can either operate it as a normal auto - put it in D and all changes are automatic. Or put it in D and use the paddle shifters when you want to override the auto.

Or both..

I never use anything but D and ignore the paddleshifts as I think they are a pia- but others like the extra control.

When I say "D", that's the most fuel efficient. If you want a more sporty drive , put it in "S". It changes down quicker and changes up slower so your engines revs more. The car feels more sporty. But fuel consumption increases...

HTH.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:19:26 PM by madasafish »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 11:48:37 AM »
I have always found the 'S' mode to be very useful for overtaking as the car is definitely more lively. Knock it down to 'S', floor the throttle, complete the overtake and push it back to 'D'.
I reckon the paddle shift is a waste of money on a Jazz, it's not Ferrari or a Porsche and depending on how you turn the steering wheel the paddles are not always in the right place to be flicked.

Vic.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:51:33 AM by VicW »

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 02:58:55 PM »
You'd think that if it wasn't for some artificial-world authorities emission test or marketing men......

....that an engineer would just have the economy side of the D program for the first half of throttle operation and the sporty side of the S program for the half to full-throttle operation and just have a single D program that did the job.  ;)

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »
Blame emissions..

guest5383

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2015, 06:24:31 PM »
Thanks everyone - this forum is really helpful, much appreciated.

Tags: