Author Topic: Rear brake binding  (Read 3675 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Rear brake binding
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2020, 11:08:36 PM »
:o £570 for a caliper! That must be for the NSX ?? If it is new caliper time, there are rebuilt ones off the shelf <£80

Nope, that's list price for a mk2 Jazz rear caliper.

You can buy brand new pattern calipers for as little as £45 online, £60-£80 from a motor factor. I've fitted a few of these pattern calipers over the years without any problems.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2020, 11:17:50 AM »
Doubtless maintaining the pins extends the working life, but for those of us who don't do our own work 12 years or so may be the life of the part.

Ideally you'd strip and clean the brakes before and after winter, But as you say, that's only relalistic if you do your own work.

I've asked garages to do it on my older Mercedes that I don't use much and they're very reluctant.  They want to change the pads and discs so they get both the labour charge and the profilt from the parts.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 08:58:14 AM »
This thread has prompted me to have a clean of the pins on our Jazz at the weekend. Its got a brilliant servive history, so hopefully all will be well. I recently purchased some Ceratex grease for the job on our other car, so have the correct stuff ready. Time to Youtube some instructions!  :)

guest9822

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 11:22:00 AM »
Ended up needing a rear left caliper replacement. The sliding pins freed up nicely after being cleaned but the piston was seized. Probably not helped with the car being sat for several weeks prior to us purchasing it!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 11:27:36 AM »
Ended up needing a rear left caliper replacement. The sliding pins freed up nicely after being cleaned but the piston was seized. Probably not helped with the car being sat for several weeks prior to us purchasing it!

Guessing the brake and clutch fluid never been changed since car was new,  that is what causes pistons to seize because brake fluid is hygroscopic and as the water content rises it corrodes inside the system, you may have to replace ABS module soon if fluid not flushed ( hopefully people doing the caliper will flush the whole system, not just the bit they are messing with ).  Would not surprise me if car had FSH because it actually means nothing because it normally just means oil change ( and if you are lucky they change the filter as well ) - not much else gets done......
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 11:45:43 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest9822

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 04:25:11 PM »
The car does indeed have FSH. I was planning on making sure the next service is a "major" one but I did note that none of the services do seem to include brake fluid replacement (does the clutch fluid uses same reservoir?). Is this something DIY-able? I'd like to learn but have no tools or someone to guide me in person.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 06:28:14 PM »
The car does indeed have FSH. I was planning on making sure the next service is a "major" one but I did note that none of the services do seem to include brake fluid replacement (does the clutch fluid uses same reservoir?). Is this something DIY-able? I'd like to learn but have no tools or someone to guide me in person.

If your car is a manual box both the clutch and brake reservoirs ( they are separate - the clutch is the small one ) are high up in the engine bay directly in front of drivers position.   

IIRC there is a piece of the plastic scuttle above reservoirs that will need unclipping to give access to reservoir filling caps..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2020, 06:30:54 PM »
I used an extension tube attached to funnel when I changed brake fluid... no need to remove anything to refill brake reservoir (mine is an auto so no clutch reservoir)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2020, 08:44:16 PM »
I used an extension tube attached to funnel when I changed brake fluid... no need to remove anything to refill brake reservoir (mine is an auto so no clutch reservoir)

To be honest the insert is easy to unciip and makes access easy without danger of spilling brake fluid aka paint stripper  .

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2020, 11:10:30 PM »

To be honest the insert is easy to unciip and makes access easy without danger of spilling brake fluid aka paint stripper  .

Agreed, it only takes seconds to remove the rubber trim and pop the panel out. Even makes oil filler access a bit easier.

guest9822

• Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 11:36:11 AM »
Mine is an automatic but i-SHIFT so presumably the same fluid wise as the manual? I'll look at the book soon.

EDIT: Yes. Separate compartment. Black cap for clutch fluid on the i-SHIFT but grey cap on the manual.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 07:02:01 PM »
If anyone is thinking about changing the i-Shift clutch fluid, be aware that you need access to HDS, the Honda Diagnostic System.

Procedure here:

http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/en/html_en/000000000001344.html

Tags:

anything