Author Topic: Sorry fellas it's MPG again.  (Read 4078 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Sorry fellas it's MPG again.
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2020, 07:21:02 PM »
I can't get all enthusiastic about fuel consumption. The built in readout is accurate for my needs even if it is optimistic it tells me if my consumption is about normal for the type of driving that I am doing. Any sudden increase in consumption would warn me that something may be amiss.
The comments about wide throttle openings and high gears are interesting. If you open the throttle wide in a high gear you will kill the acceleration and the responsiveness of the engine and you will be using the wide open throttle to get anywhere for longer periods. Overtaking manoeuvres would take longer, dangerously so in many cases. Why flog an engine to death trying to climb a hill in a high gear? I am not convinced that driving in this manner is conducive to better fuel consumption.
 On my 1.4 CVT I get a recorded 52mpg in the warmer months and 48mpg in the winter and I use the 'S' mode frequently.

Vic. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2020, 07:41:58 PM »
The comments about wide throttle openings and high gears are interesting. If you open the throttle wide in a high gear you will kill the acceleration and the responsiveness of the engine and you will be using the wide open throttle to get anywhere for longer periods. Overtaking manoeuvres would take longer, dangerously so in many cases. Why flog an engine to death trying to climb a hill in a high gear? I am not convinced that driving in this manner is conducive to better fuel consumption.
The reason I have the throttle fully open is to maintain 40 mph. If I wanted to accelerate I would change down. If I want to overtake I use the lowest gear that will allow me to pass without having to change up, normally 3rd. The engine isn't being flogged at 40 mph in 5th. It is just slightly below maximum torque.
And as for fuel consumption, in the summer my dashboard display will show 60+ on a tankful and no lower than 54 in winter.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2020, 01:54:13 PM »
What sort of revs do you get down to ?
1900 rpm. i-DSi has loads of torque down there. Something the V-TEC lost.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2020, 03:50:44 PM »
What sort of revs do you get down to ?
1900 rpm. i-DSi has loads of torque down there. Something the V-TEC lost.

I agree, the I-dsi is like a little diesel compared to vtec..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 04:14:43 PM »
I had a mile trip to the supermarket, then after shopping, a mile home. The blue light never went out, but according to the ScanGauge E the trip returned 37 mpg.

Tags:

anything