Author Topic: Jazz LED headlights  (Read 4723 times)

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Jazz LED headlights
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 04:32:13 PM »
Another way could be this: https://www.hella.com/MicroSite/90mm-modules/index.html
Changing the 90mm fog light with a Hella bifunction led, where the low beam would be the fog light and the high beam would be activated together with the OEM high beam, empowering them.
Nice but costy, I'm afraid.

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 05:32:09 PM »
I happen to know those lights, and they are not that great, especially when mounted as low as Jazz fog lights are. We've tested it and the 20 year old halogen variant of that same 90 mm Hella light gives better beam pattern than the LED module. Besides it is not legal to use low beam headlight instead of a fog light.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 09:37:46 AM »
I've been running my Mk3 Jazz with it's OEM LED headlights for just over 12 months now and I can't see any real difference between them and the Classic-car-leds, that I previously had fitted to my Mk2 Jazz.
Both are a vast improvement on the H4 filament, 'candles' of the earlier cars.

There may be a grey area, as to whether the Classic-car-leds are legal or not, but if they pass a MOT, then that's good enough for me.

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 06:24:00 AM »
When studying the possibilities to install auxiliary headlights I took out the plug for the left headlight. After a while a warning symbol "check headlights" came on. Well that was not any surprise, it's supposed to come. I then put the plug back and everything works again, but the warning remains. I don't believe there is nothing wrong, I assume it just keeps showing the warning until clearing the trouble codes.

So I need to clear the error message. I can recognize three possible ways to get the warning disappear:
1. go to the dealer and ask resetting the warning - I'm going there next week anyways, so that is a backup
2. reset the car by disconnecting the battery for a while - how log time is needed?
3. clear codes with a suitable device - can this be done with scangauge or any other generic code reader?

Any suggestions, please?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:26:34 AM by TnTkr »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 09:05:11 AM »
I had lamps fitted to my FIAT 126 and they made an amazing difference. When switched on, they worked with the main beam, extinguishing when I selected dip but being independently switched; I only used them when I needed them.

What a cool car!  8) Often referred to as the "Polish Porsche".  Had the good fortune to drive one many years ago, great fun.

Re Moose, I recall Saab used to design their cars with Moose impact as part of the brief.

A real problem in your part of the world. I had a collision with a deer at the start of 2020 that wrote of the car, so no laughing matter. Roof mounted light bar powered via 12v socket perhaps?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 09:18:48 AM »
What a cool car!  8) Often referred to as the "Polish Porsche".
Mine was a genuine Italian one, pre-Polski FIAT.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 06:20:14 PM »
What a cool car!  8) Often referred to as the "Polish Porsche".
Mine was a genuine Italian one, pre-Polski FIAT.

Almost feels like we should have a seperate thread on Jocko's cool cars from the past !!  :D

Proper Italian one. Were they better made? Did you keep it long? What happened to it?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2020, 07:50:59 PM »
I have no idea what the Polish ones were like, but FIAT made mine, so it was cr@p. I had it from its first MOT until it was eight years old. I then passed it on to my sister-in-law who ran it for three years before scrapping it. The interesting thing was some young tearaways bought it for spares but instead raced around in it, uninsured and with no MOT, until they crashed it into some poor chap's car, parked outside his house. They then scarpered but were eventually traced and charged. Probably got a slap on the wrist. How we know the final part of the story is the police went to speak to my sister-in-law as the last registered keeper.

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2020, 05:46:48 AM »
So I need to clear the error message. I can recognize three possible ways to get the warning disappear:
1. go to the dealer and ask resetting the warning - I'm going there next week anyways, so that is a backup
2. reset the car by disconnecting the battery for a while - how log time is needed?
3. clear codes with a suitable device - can this be done with scangauge or any other generic code reader?

I used method number 2 successfully. Had the battery cables off for about five minutes and after reconnecting the warning message was gone. I still would like to know if that kind of body electrics code i.e. message not related to engine could be cleared with scangauge.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2020, 09:40:08 PM »
I have no idea what the Polish ones were like, but FIAT made mine, so it was cr@p. I had it from its first MOT until it was eight years old. I then passed it on to my sister-in-law who ran it for three years before scrapping it. The interesting thing was some young tearaways bought it for spares but instead raced around in it, uninsured and with no MOT, until they crashed it into some poor chap's car, parked outside his house. They then scarpered but were eventually traced and charged. Probably got a slap on the wrist. How we know the final part of the story is the police went to speak to my sister-in-law as the last registered keeper.

Tragic end to the poor old Fiat. It lasted well though. 11 yrs and still going.

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 08:56:34 PM »
Now that raises an electrical question: Can I take the control current for the auxiliary light relay from the headlight wire as used to do in cars with conventional electrics?

Does anybody have information where it'd be best place to get the control current for auxiliary high beam in case of LED headlights?

The multi-pin connector at the headlight is so tiny I feel uncomfortable to work with. I am afraid of short-cutting pins with the tip of an old fashioned voltage meter or test lamp.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:00:58 PM by TnTkr »

Tags: