Author Topic: Auto stop and battery indicator  (Read 40370 times)

guest9236

Re: Auto stop and battery indicator
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2020, 06:49:26 PM »
My stop start works very occasionally, and that is to often,

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2020, 07:02:04 PM »

Couldn't agree more  :)
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2020, 08:09:35 PM »

My stop start never works, (mostly).
 Because I press the OFF button, as part of start up routine.....

I hate, stop/ start......
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 08:19:24 PM by Dayjo »
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2020, 08:27:37 AM »
+1 to Dayjo’s comment. Stop/start is a pita. All extra work for the starter motor & battery, for minimal savings in fuel.
I suppose if you are stuck in a traffic jam for some time, it might be justified, but otherwise No.
No mention has been made for leaving stop lights On, annoying following drivers, probably a case of ‘I’m alright Jack’!!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2020, 10:39:11 AM »
Fuel savings are noticeable but like some of you said you need to learn how to brake to bring it on or not when you don’t want it. For example before entering a roundabout I don’t want it to activate, but if I’m approaching traffic lights that have just turned red yes please!

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2020, 10:41:54 AM »
I totally agree that it can be a PITA, especially on the CVT models but I just wanted to make sure mine was working and there wasn't a problem with something else interfering with it's operation. I'll make good use of the off button when appropriate too although it's not too hard to learn how much braking effort activates it.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2020, 10:59:31 AM »
Most traffic lights I encounter are familiar and I know which ones are short and which are long. If I approach a long light as it turns red I turn off the ignition. I then watch the lights in the other direction, if I can, otherwise I watch the pedestrian lights to be ready to start before or as soon as the light starts to change. A couple of junctions I use, the red is three or four minutes, so it is worth the effort. I don't switch off until the engine has warmed up and the blue light is out.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2020, 03:46:34 PM »
I totally agree that it can be a PITA, especially on the CVT models but I just wanted to make sure mine was working and there wasn't a problem with something else interfering with it's operation. I'll make good use of the off button when appropriate too although it's not too hard to learn how much braking effort activates it.
Mine is working again, maybe hotter temperatures help to keep the battery voltage in a correct range. Maybe.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2020, 06:02:17 PM »
Couldn't agree more  :)
My stop start never works, (mostly).
 Because I press the OFF button, as part of start up routine.....

I hate, stop/ start......

I simply don't understand these sentiments. Why don't you like it? You may object in principle to manufacturers introducing it in order to "game" their emissions & fuel consumption figures, but frankly there's nothing you can do to affect that. And spiting them by turning it off is only affecting you, by increasing your fuel consumption infinitesimally, whilst people near your idling car are getting the "benefit" of your increased emissions. Stop-start works pretty seamlessly on the Jazz (at least on the manual version), it doesn't get in the way of normal driving. Are you worried that maybe it's damaging the car in some way? If anyone has any evidence of that please publish it, but meanwhile there are plenty of petrolheads on the web saying that cars are designed for it so damage is unlikely, for example:
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/myth-busting-stop-start-damage-engine/
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-long-term-impact-your-car-s-engine
https://www.nowcar.com/blog/archive/does-auto-stop-start-technology-harm-engines/#:~:text=True%2C%20starting%20up%20the%20engine,%2Dand%2Dtear%20takes%20place.&text=Plus%2C%20auto%20start%2Fstop%20technology,key%20is%20in%20the%20ignition).
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1109687_dont-start-stop-systems-wear-out-your-cars-starter
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/road-safety/stop-start-engines-and-engine-idling-the-law/

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2020, 07:35:07 PM »
https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-truth-about-automatic-engine-stop-start-systems

In the comments section one bloke reckoned he disabled auto stop start by disconnecting the sensor on battery negative terminal......
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2020, 08:31:12 PM »
https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-truth-about-automatic-engine-stop-start-systems

In the comments section one bloke reckoned he disabled auto stop start by disconnecting the sensor on battery negative terminal......

Sorry mate I really don't see any significant evidence there about why it's a bad thing. He clearly doesn't like it, and he's entitled to his opinion. But he says himself most of the "reasons" put forward by people aren't justified. So he's left with "I don't like it because car makers make it compulsory" (that's opinion, not evidence) and a vague "It's unrefined when it restarts" (which seems to be based on experience with diesels, and certainly doesn't apply to the Jazz). And as for "There's no benefit to the owner, only to the manufacturer", he's missed the point that if the manufacturers didn't do something like this he wouldn't be able to buy the car because the makers wouldn't be allowed to sell it. Nor does he mention the positive effect on local air pollution of switching off ICEs when queuing (which to me seems probably more important than the minuscule fuel saving).

So that link doesn't help me understand why anyone would feel so strongly about it they insist on switching the system off every time they get in their car.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2020, 09:35:56 PM »

Sorry mate I really don't see any significant evidence there about why it's a bad thing. He clearly doesn't like it, and he's entitled to his opinion. But he says himself most of the "reasons" put forward by people aren't justified.
I agree.
If people  think this is a bad system for continuos restart, what should they think about hybrids like Jazz or Corolla, where the engine goes off every time you leave the gas pedal??

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2020, 10:48:23 PM »
If people  think this is a bad system for continuos restart, what should they think about hybrids like Jazz or Corolla, where the engine goes off every time you leave the gas pedal??
However, a significant difference, at least for the hybrid Jazz (both Mk 2 and Mk 4 - I don't know about Toyota) is that the hybrid system generator attached to the engine briefly becomes a motor to get the engine turning over so there's no wear on a traditional starter motor. On the hybrids it's a matter of getting the vehicle moving using electricity and then add fuel if the engine is needed to provide more power.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2020, 11:05:47 PM »
I must admit to being baffled by all this resistance to stop/start systems, I'm on my 2nd car with it and drive work vehicles with it, I just ignore it & let it cut in & out as it sees fit, it doesn't cause any issues as far as I can tell, you don't have to change the way you drive and everyone benefits from a better environment, using slightly less fuel and its quieter.
Its pretty standard on most cars nowadays and requires no additional effort from the driver.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2020, 08:42:50 AM »
However, a significant difference, at least for the hybrid Jazz (both Mk 2 and Mk 4 - I don't know about Toyota) is that the hybrid system generator attached to the engine briefly becomes a motor to get the engine turning over so there's no wear on a traditional starter motor. On the hybrids it's a matter of getting the vehicle moving using electricity and then add fuel if the engine is needed to provide more power.
Yes, but it's the only difference: thermal shocks, missing lubrication, oil polluting, misfiring and so on should be the same.
To be honest, a D15A engine could suffer from problems like wearing if fitted with S&S, since it's been built in last eighties... But now our engines should be problem free.

Tags:

anything