Author Topic: Auto stop and battery indicator  (Read 40391 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Auto stop and battery indicator
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2019, 10:24:18 AM »
do you mean put the positive to the terminal under the plastic cover and the negative to the metal plate that is connected to the negative terminal?
Yes, lift plastic cover to connect +ve charger cable (red clip) to the terminal. However, the -ve should not be directly connected to the battery terminal but to the end of the earth strap nearest the battery.

For those who question the need for this charging, I agree that it's not necessary if the only concern is to be able to start the engine. However, I find it frustrating that, if the vehicle has been standing for a week, and I head off on a long journey then the auto-stop won't work until the engine has been restarted (which might be a couple of hours later).

The voltage on my HR-V's battery is only about  12.3V the day after a long trip and drops to 12.1V within a few days of the vehicle not being used. At that voltage, auto-stop isn't happy. The voltage is down to about 11.8V after 3 weeks standing but the engine started fine. All these voltages are lower than I would expect for a healthy lead acid battery but my local Honda dealer assured me, when I left the vehicle with them for several days last spring, that the battery is fine. I wonder whether these stop-start compatible batteries have different voltage characteristics which Honda forgot to program into the stop-start algorithm.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

orcadian

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz SE
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2019, 04:22:05 PM »
Hi John,
Thanks for the many informative replies you have posted.  It certainly seems to have created a lot of comment.  We’ve had our Sept 2015 SE for just over a year now and still pleased with it.  As my original post outlined, the stop/start didn’t work for months in the winter, then settled down to being predictable during the summer months but has now reverted to its original old self.  Not bothered now after reading these posts and as the car is approaching 4 1/2 years old, if it needed a battery then even at this ridiculous price it’s no big deal.  One observation though is that there have been occasions when air con, lights, heater, radio have all been on after the car had been standing a few days (in summer) and the stop start worked, once after only  6 miles when I stopped to drop off a parcel at the post office. GRRR!

Ian

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2019, 07:34:45 PM »
My 2016 CVT stop / starts a lot lot less in the winter, so unless our cars have the same fault, then it's just a "feature". IMO.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2019, 07:51:57 PM »
I will never buy a car with auto stop.....drives me mad.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 07:53:35 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2019, 09:01:09 PM »
I will never buy a car with auto stop.....drives me mad.

Then you're missing out as the start / stop is well worked on the Jazz. Only thing that grates for me is that I have to keep the brake pedal pressed, so possibly annoying people behind me.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2019, 10:43:07 AM »

did you leave the battery connected to the car?

is it possible to charge one of these batteries and still have it connected to a car, i have a fairly modern charger with trickle and led lights for fully charged etc, i will be leaving my car standing for a week or two at a time as my work has moved very close to home but i will still do 120 miles nearly every sat for personal use
I left the battery connected, charging it as shown by the tecnhical note. I think that a usage like yours won't be hard for a battery, the self-discharge is not heavy in a 1-2 week stop and not enough to inhibit the start. No worries if you don't use an anti-theft or other similar device.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2019, 11:26:18 AM »
Battery capacity checking is notoriously unreliable due to many things, ambient and battery temperature, age of battery, charging inefficiencies - the best name for a battery 'fuel' gauge would be a 'guessometer' . 

This does not bode well for accurate Battery capacity checking ( remaining range ) in electric vehicles.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/archive/battery_fuel_gauge_factual_or_fallacy
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2019, 07:48:04 PM »
Yes, lift plastic cover to connect +ve charger cable (red clip) to the terminal. However, the -ve should not be directly connected to the battery terminal but to the end of the earth strap nearest the battery.

Thanks for the explanation, John.

So...
 The -ve charger clip, goes to the end of the L shaped piece, where it is crimped to the black earth lead.
Allowing whatever is in the black box, on the other end of the L shaped piece to do it's job. Whatever that is.....

It were all a lot simpler, when I were a lad.....  ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 07:51:12 PM by Dayjo »
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2019, 09:09:59 PM »
This link about BMS ( battery monitoring / management systems ) on stop start batteries - shows the electronic module on the battery terminal - any power going in or out of battery has to pass through the module to tell the control circuit what is happening,  which is why putting the battery charger clips straight onto the battery posts bypasses the system..

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_monitor_a_battery

RobHam

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 CVT 2018
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2020, 09:24:32 PM »
My 2018 Jazz CVT has also suffered from the Auto Stop somehow getting disabled, indicated on the dashboard display by a Yellow line through the A and a Battery symbol, hence infering the Battery/EDLC combination have insufficant charge.

I found a method from another Honda forum that has a procedure to reset the Auto Stop function.
This procedure has worked for my Jazz.

If the Auto Stop is not working indicated by a Yellow line through the A and a Battery symbol.

1. Pull over somewhere safe.
2. Turn off the engine.
3. Pull the bonnet release catch.
4. Start the engine, you should see the Bonnet Open indicator on the dashboard (if not then open the bonnet fully).
5. Turn off the engine.
6. Get out of the car and close the bonnet correctly.

The Auto stop function then seems to work properly.

There are a number of forum posts that infer that opening and closing the bonnet without starting the engine actually causes the Auto Stop function to somehow get disabled.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 09:38:19 PM by RobHam »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2020, 07:35:33 AM »
If the Auto Stop is not working indicated by a Yellow line through the A and a Battery symbol.

2. Turn off the engine.
4. Start the engine, you should see the Bonnet Open indicator on the dashboard (if not then open the bonnet fully).
5. Turn off the engine.

There are a number of forum posts that infer that opening and closing the bonnet without starting the engine actually causes the Auto Stop function to somehow get disabled.

I had to check if it was April 1st ;D

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2020, 08:40:53 AM »
My 2018 Jazz CVT has also suffered from the Auto Stop somehow getting disabled, indicated on the dashboard display by a Yellow line through the A and a Battery symbol, hence infering the Battery/EDLC combination have insufficant charge.

I found a method from another Honda forum that has a procedure to reset the Auto Stop function.
This procedure has worked for my Jazz.

2. Turn off the engine.
5. Turn off the engine.

I press a button, beside the shift lever, to disable the auto stop. Every journey.
 Doesn't everyone?  ;)
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2020, 10:51:12 AM »
Not sure that means it's been "disabled" (by which I assume you mean it's somehow been permanently switched off). It just means that one of the huge number of inhibiting factors listed in the handbook has come into play to prevent the system stopping the engine. My car shows either that or the "low temperature" symbol much of the time over the winter months but it soon goes back to normal when the weather warms up or I do some longish trips. At present, if you're not doing many miles or only short trips it's likely that the charge level is low enough to inhibit the stop/start (but not so low that the car won't start when you turn the key).

That said, it would be logical to have the stop/start inhibited when the bonnet is open; you don't want the engine to restart without warning if some numpty has his fingers under the bonnet whilst the stop/start has stopped the engine. However you'd expect it to reset when the bonnet is closed.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2020, 01:38:31 PM »

2. Turn off the engine.
5. Turn off the engine.
One of the battery condition checks is only carried out before/when the engine is started. If this check fails then the autostop is disabled, even if the journey is long and there's plenty of opportunity to charge the battery. However, unless the battery charge state is very low then a few miles is sufficient to get the charge high enough that if the vehicle is stopped and the engine restarted then the battery check will be OK and autostop is happy. So next time try stopping and restarting the engine without opening the bonnet.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2020, 06:18:22 PM »
I tried that bonnet trick and it didn't work for me. Neither did charging the battery the 'correct way' but alas this afternoon, after a trip to Glasgow it's started working for the very first time! I left home, got to the multi-storey car park and it activated while waiting for the ticket. I'm getting quite good with the pedal pressure so as not to activate it when I don't want it (e.g. coming home to park up). It's only taken 30 days, three charges and 1000 miles  :D My Civic wasn't as temperamental, and it even had the same engine as the Jazz but much better logic I think!

Tags: