Author Topic: GD 1.4 Not Holding Revs on Gear Changes etc  (Read 4953 times)

JackH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GD 1.4 Sport
Re: GD 1.4 Not Holding Revs on Gear Changes etc
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 10:00:13 PM »
It’s definitely not the EGR as we had that with the last one.

However... I’m glad to say I’ve fixed it today.  8)

Disconnected the battery for a few minutes to reset the ECU then followed the procedure to retrain the idle etc, which is as follows:

1. Turn the ignition so it’s on and wait two seconds before starting the car - make sure that everything electrical like the headunit / climate etc is off before you do the latter.
2. Raise the revs to around 3k and hold them until the radiator fan kicks in.
3. Let the car idle for five minutes. If the fan kicks in, don’t count any of the time it runs as part of the five minutes.

And that’s it.

Before I did this, if you were driving along, dipped the clutch then released the throttle and the revs straight dropped down to idle.

Now, if you’re quick with the clutch the revs will rise slightly before dropping - in other words, the same as a GE but far less of it, so about right actually.

Then, when the revs drop, they seem to fall off a little slower and pause briefly at 1k RPM before dropping to idle.

Net result is a smoother gear change. Pulling away is now as it should be so this hasn’t just made adjustments for idling - the car is now obviously maintaining the revs applied when using light throttle to pull away far better than it was before.

Also smoother on and off when doing a bit of stop start in traffic.

So I is a happy bunny once more and to the point I used some of the time I expected to be still stood by the car scratching my head well - resprayed the wheels (matt black, nice contrast to the metallic grey bodywork) and buffed up the headlight lenses as, like me, they were a bit dull.   ;)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 11:36:18 PM »
im not sure if the EGR valve issue that some people seam to have would contribute to the revs falling quickly. ive been driving mine for 8 years i couldnt even tell you if the revs drop or not but i cant imagine they have enough time to fall that much in mine

I've been thinking EGR valve all the way through this thread.

A clogged EGR certainly gives you the jerky gear changes, and the revs do plummet as the engine is desperate to stall. I have just cleaned the EGR thoroughly on ours again, and the car now a pleasure to drive again - rather than the nerve-racking operation of slipping revs on the clutch when pulling away and it stalling at the drop of a hat.

If the car drives better when the engine is cold, I would suspect sticking EGR valve.

JackH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 12:05:37 AM »
im not sure if the EGR valve issue that some people seam to have would contribute to the revs falling quickly. ive been driving mine for 8 years i couldnt even tell you if the revs drop or not but i cant imagine they have enough time to fall that much in mine

I've been thinking EGR valve all the way through this thread.

A clogged EGR certainly gives you the jerky gear changes, and the revs do plummet as the engine is desperate to stall. I have just cleaned the EGR thoroughly on ours again, and the car now a pleasure to drive again - rather than the nerve-racking operation of slipping revs on the clutch when pulling away and it stalling at the drop of a hat.

If the car drives better when the engine is cold, I would suspect sticking EGR valve.

As above, disconnecting the battery and then performing a re-train of the idle sorted it.

When our last one had EGR issues it manifested itself by the car occasionally feeling gutless. Sorted in 10 minutes with some brake cleaner and a socket set.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 07:30:43 AM »
Disconnected the battery for a few minutes to reset the ECU then followed the procedure to retrain the idle etc, which is as follows:

1. Turn the ignition so it’s on and wait two seconds before starting the car - make sure that everything electrical like the headunit / climate etc is off before you do the latter.
2. Raise the revs to around 3k and hold them until the radiator fan kicks in.
3. Let the car idle for five minutes. If the fan kicks in, don’t count any of the time it runs as part of the five minutes.

And that’s it.
Is this just a V-TEC thing? Never seen mention of it anywhere for the 1.2 i-DSI.

JackH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 12:29:38 AM »
No... mine is a 1.4 DSi, not VTEC.

Suspect it’ll be applicable to anything with a fly by wire throttle.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 08:21:04 AM »
Where did you find me the procedure? Can you post a link? I'll have to try the same with my car.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 02:42:11 PM »
I have seen this procedure before.  However when I renewed the battery on my Jazz I didn't bother doing it, I just started the car, reset the auto up/down electric windows and drove off. I didn't have a problem.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 03:06:53 PM »
When I had my battery replaced, the RAC man just stuck the new one on, I started the car up, and away I went. I did nothing. Mind you, my GD5 is only one step up from the Morris Minor!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 07:01:48 PM »
Many cars store some learned parameters in the ECU which are reset when the battery is disconnected. A few miles of normal driving sorts things out, usually without you noticing anything odd.

The procedure above basically warms the engine up, then lets it idle for a few minutes.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:15:09 PM by sparky Paul »

Jeffyjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se sport
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 10:13:08 AM »
The 1.4 dsi is manual throttle with cable isn’t it

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
My 1.2 DSi has a cable, but it only goes to the Throttle Position Sensor which then sends an electrical signal, via the ECU, to the throttle body.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 08:28:44 AM »

Can be either I think, depending on age. Mines fly by wire.

Tags: