Author Topic: Lack of paint inside Bonnet  (Read 11236 times)

Hebden

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
Lack of paint inside Bonnet
« on: October 28, 2015, 12:17:07 AM »
I have been told by a dealer that the lack of paint is due to Honda reducing weight in the car. It is apparently primed and will not rust. He says there are no plans for later shipments to be painted inside.

I'd be grateful if anyone who hears otherwise or twists Honda's arm to paint a topcoat to let me know.Thanks.

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
Re: Lack of paint inside Bonnet
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 07:15:31 AM »
I noticed on the cars live program James May did that the new mini was also not painted everywhere. So it is probably common to all manufacturers.

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 07:57:20 AM »
Mine is finished in body colour!  :o
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 09:03:14 AM »
Cost cutting again. If you look inside the petrol cap that is not painted body colour and not all the engine compartment. That is one reason why I went for the tinted silver the contrast between top coat and undercoat is not so noticeable.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 10:13:34 AM »
I somewhat doubt that the weight saving is significant. They could have saved more weight by leaving out all the pages in the handbook that are irrelevant to individual models which would have also had the beneficial effect of making the handbook easier to read.

I'm not worried about the colour of the paint on the inside of the bonnet but it would have been good if they had put a thicker layer of body colour on the outside. The paint chips show that the final layer is very thin. (Mine's the orange - perhaps the metallic paints are a bit thicker).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 05:38:43 PM »
Yes....A cost saving rather than the weight of a tin of paint.
My Mk2 was beautifully painted inside the bodywork as well as inside the petrol cap. It's tiny things like that that are an irritation.
Also I agree totally with John, my booklets that came with the car weigh fifteen pounds and run to over a thousand pages.
I'm of average intelligence and it took me a couple of weeks to learn how to navigate around the booklet let alone the car !!

guest5670

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 09:50:44 PM »
I  wonder whether the Honda Fit in Asia etc is of the same lack of paint ?
Maybe the Europe market has been deluded as I feel the lack of quality in the Mk 3  is really poor in many
areas .

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 10:27:26 PM »
The mk3 has a lot going for it.  I feel it to be a big improvement on its predecessor in a lot of ways.
BUT I consider the build quality to be not as good as mk2.
I ask myself why I miss my previous jazz as much as I do.....It always felt " tight " and comfortable.
This one feels " gimmicky / gizmo laden" !

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 10:30:58 AM »
All I can say is that I must be easily pleased, the more I drive my ex the more I like it. Like the other day went to reverse in the rain and the rear wiper did it's thing all by itself, clever touch. We have to embrace new technology and not bury our heads in the sand. So suck it in and enjoy your new cars. :-))

guest4324

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 11:21:44 AM »
All I can say is that I must be easily pleased, the more I drive my ex the more I like it. Like the other day went to reverse in the rain and the rear wiper did it's thing all by itself, clever touch. We have to embrace new technology and not bury our heads in the sand. So suck it in and enjoy your new cars. :-))

My 2009 model does the same with the wipers as did my 1999 Renault Scenic, it's a simple link from the wiper stalk position to the reverse position switch on the gear stick. I'm happy you like the new model though, I will probably go for one in the end but not for another few years.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 01:54:08 PM »
My previous car a Note did that with the rear wipers, defrosted the windscreen one cold winter morning scraping and put the wipers on intermittent, put it into reverse to pull off the drive and ripped the rubber on the rear out of the arm! Only ever did that once mind!  :D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 08:02:34 PM »

New technology is OK in the right place,  like better engine management,  more MPG,  better lights (LED) but I personally cannot see the need for auto lights that you can't disable,  auto wipers etc.  Rover had rear wipers that came on when reverse was selected decades ago, but rest of car was pants,  I would rather car makers spent money on stuff that matters like engines and suspension than gimmicks that annoy the hell out of me,  just more to go wrong.  I never want a fitted satnav because good quality satnavs are so cheap these days and can be moved from car to car - also If I am in a strange city I like to enter the car position on my satnav and put it in my pocket,  helps no end when you are trying to find it later after a long day.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 08:07:17 PM »
Glad to see that you do embrace technology and are not still using street maps etc. :-))

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 08:34:36 PM »
Glad to see that you do embrace technology and are not still using street maps etc. :-))

I still have a map book in my car to get the big picture,  and use it  in conjunction with satnav to plan the route I want to take,  not relying on technology to take me from A to B and arriving not having a clue how I got there.   I work with pretty advanced technology every day in my job and am glad to take a breather from it whenever I can.

That's what I like about my motorbikes,  no gizmos and gimmicks just a great engine and two wheels,  and I'm the one calling the shots. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 11:01:17 AM »

I still have a map book in my car to get the big picture,  and use it  in conjunction with satnav to plan the route I want to take, 

Same here while my Tomtom is ok for main roads and motorways it has a habit of occasionally taking me along country roads that are actually longer routes than necessary and when there are other much shorter ways she also sometimes gets her knickers in a twist in towns. ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 11:02:50 AM by Hobo »

Tags: